IGNORED

Avocado oil?

JVOSS

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

That was me lol. Yes, it's real. I unlabel my containers and re-label them. This time around I decided to be cute about it. 

yep thought so.  did you make the oil and how dose it taste?  is it lighter then olive oil?  did not want to weight down the ig page.

Edited by JVOSS

Administrator · Posted

I use avocado oil often.  It doesn't have a strong flavor - you don't really *taste* avocado in my experience.  One of the advantages to using it over olive oil, is that has a much higher smoke point, so for cooking it is more flexible.

I'll use olive oil when I want a stronger flavor, or for sauces and garnishes - but I mainly use avocado oil for the actual cooking.

EDIT: I doubt Gloves makes his own 🙂  It is actually quite common, available at most grocery stores now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I use avocado oil often.  It doesn't have a strong flavor - you don't really *taste* avocado in my experience.  One of the advantages to using it over olive oil, is that has a much higher smoke point, so for cooking it is more flexible.

I'll use olive oil when I want a stronger flavor, or for sauces and garnishes - but I mainly use avocado oil for the actual cooking.

EDIT: I doubt Gloves makes his own 🙂  It is actually quite common, available at most grocery stores now.

This. 

I use a cast iron pan and the higher smoke point of avocado oil is huge for my low ventilation apartment. 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, JVOSS said:

wow  thanks @spacepup,  been looking for a good oil.  is the cost about the same?  and where do you find it??  what about grape seed oil?

In general avocado oil is one of the more expensive oils. I also will use truffle oil on occasion for a more earthy flavor, or as pup said olive oil for a fresh taste (makes a nice salad dressing base). Avocado oil has basically no taste to it, I use it for everything from steaks to popcorn. 

• Wow! 1

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

In general avocado oil is one of the more expensive oils. I also will use truffle oil on occasion for a more earthy flavor, or as pup said olive oil for a fresh taste (makes a nice salad dressing base). Avocado oil has basically no taste to it, I use it for everything from steaks to popcorn. 

hmm now i have to try this as the Corn oil just to heavy on my popcorn and olive oil has a bad after taste. 

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, JVOSS said:

hmm now i have to try this as the Corn oil just to heavy on my popcorn and olive oil has a bad after taste. 

I recently upgraded to the ultimate theatre popcorn experience, coconut oil. It gives it a slight flavor, and the signature color. Also always add Flavacol, you can skip the butter entirely. Here's my "recipe": https://toobusycooking.netlify.app/recipes/literally-theatre-popcorn

Just now, JVOSS said:

lol, but do you pay the $20 a slice like the Cali people do? 

Lol no I make it myself. 

• Wow! 1

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

I recently upgraded to the ultimate theatre popcorn experience, coconut oil. It gives it a slight flavor, and the signature color. Also always add Flavacol, you can skip the butter entirely. Here's my "recipe": https://toobusycooking.netlify.app/recipes/literally-theatre-popcorn

Coconut OIL!!!!  really!!!!  and Flavacol is that like the theater butter?

Administrator · Posted
Just now, JVOSS said:

Coconut OIL!!!!  really!!!!  and Flavacol is that like the theater butter?

It's an incredibly high sodium content flavoring. Like, it's super condensed salt. It's literally what theatres use, and is the reason why their popcorn tastes the way it does, and why without it you'll never get the same flavor at home. You need to buy it, trust me. Please go follow my recipe, it'll change your life. 

• Wow! 1