IGNORED

5 horror movies that need sequels!

Tabonga

At first I tried to think of any horror movie that I really like (which admittedly isn't even that many), but what's really much harder is thinking of a good horror movie whose impact wouldn't potentially get ruined by even the presence of a sequel. Most horror movies are either left intentionally open-ended, or if they do have a conclusion, reviving the threat for a subsequent movie kinda makes everything in that first one pointless.

• Agree 1

I mostly agree with @Sumez. I'm having a really tough time thinking of any great horror movies that would benefit from a sequel. Maybe it's because I value originality or perhaps I'm biased by the torrent of abysmal sequels that haunt (hehe) most franchises. I think the likelihood of any sequel being worse than the original is upwards of 95%, so why bother?

Still... I'd probably be up for a 28 Months Later if Alex Garland and/or Danny Boyle are involved. I liked the way they kept the spirit of the original while expanding the world in 28 Weeks Later.

Outside of that, I think anthologies and series that are already bloated with sequels are fair game for reinvention and ridiculousness.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

I think follow ups can be good if done right. We only need to look at your most recent film debate Reed with the Evil Dead.

Other stand out movies for me are A nightmare on elm street 3, dawn of the dead, Friday the 13th part 2, the devil’s rejects, scream 2 (some may disagree), the hills have eyes 2, the omen trilogy, bride of Frankenstein, the conjuring 2. 

I think the question has merit because there are good horror movies that have good sequels and some are better than the original.

I personally love bride of Frankenstein over Frankenstein. Same goes with a lot of the others I mentioned.

Sequels aren't always bad - and sometimes equally as good as the originals.  And they don't have to even feature the same characters - the host of Star Wars (which I concede are largely mediocre) plowed along well enough without the original crew having central roles.

I assumed that it would be taken as a given that sequels to movies one liked would be a worthy effort (I think there is a Barnum  adage skulking about somewhere.

And some sequels are top notch - Aliens, the second two of the original Star Wars trilogy, the two sequels to Raiders of the Lost Ark (I am gonna pretend the last effort doesn't exist) and Terminator 2 are but a few examples.

And the sequels don't have to exactly mimic the original - I would certainly like to see the back story of some movies (I would certainly like to see Jesse Hooker's* (Near Dark) - especially vis a vis the Civil War).

A sequel to Trick "r" Treat would just have to reproduce the tautness/inticacies of a storyline that is extremely clever when it comes to the umbrella story (I can't think of an anthology comes close to this one in that regard).  If any sequel was set in the same city (doesn't have to be) a lot of the characters from the first could be worked in (who wouldn't want to see more of the werewolves - or the furries partying).

*Good old Lance is too old obviously  - but I am sure they could find a suitable younger actor to fill the role.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
48 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I think follow ups can be good if done right. We only need to look at your most recent film debate Reed with the Evil Dead.

Other stand out movies for me are A nightmare on elm street 3, dawn of the dead, Friday the 13th part 2, the devil’s rejects, scream 2 (some may disagree), the hills have eyes 2, the omen trilogy, bride of Frankenstein, the conjuring 2. 

I think the question has merit because there are good horror movies that have good sequels and some are better than the original.

I personally love bride of Frankenstein over Frankenstein. Same goes with a lot of the others I mentioned.

Well assuming they nailed it...

Let the Right One In, Dead Alive, In the Mouth of Madness, It Follows, The Cabin in the Woods, and a million others.

1 hour ago, Shmup said:

They did a modern remake of Thirteen Ghosts, it was pretty terrible unfortunately.

The original was a lot of fun to see in the theatre as a kid - putting on the illusiono glasses was a hoot.  Willaim Castle had neat gimmicks- even if they were always hyped up things.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Shmup said:

I thought Beetlejuice 2 was real but I just googled it and discovered the poster was fake 😞

Definitely agree about trick ‘r treat. Never understood why that didn’t get a follow up.

I’d love to see a follow up to drag me to hell and it follows if done right.

I don't think I could abide a sequel to Drag Me to Hell. That one is pretty much a perfect PG-13 horror movie and the ending is a nice little gut punch, even if it is telegraphed a bit too much. That being said, if Sam Raimi is in the director's chair and they find a way to bring Alison Lohman back without sucking all the terror out of the original, I'll be watching for sure.

3 hours ago, Shmup said:

I personally love bride of Frankenstein over Frankenstein.

Somewhat off topic - have you seen these 2?  They are actually pretty good and both have John Carradine in good roles - when given a chance he was a great actor.

Edited by Tabonga

21 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Oh I see.

No no, I mean I really like Thir13en Ghosts from 2001. I want more of that. xD

haha oh in that case I can't agree.

16 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I don't think I could abide a sequel to Drag Me to Hell. That one is pretty much a perfect PG-13 horror movie and the ending is a nice little gut punch, even if it is telegraphed a bit too much. That being said, if Sam Raimi is in the director's chair and they find a way to bring Alison Lohman back without sucking all the terror out of the original, I'll be watching for sure.

Yeah very true and after I posted that one I thought to myself actually maybe I don't want a second Drag Me To Hell because the first was done so well. But like you said, if they could figure out a good way I'd be on board for it.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Tabonga said:

Somewhat off topic - have you seen these 2?  They are actually pretty good and both have John Carradine in good roles - when given a chance he was a great actor.

I've had these on my list forever and was planning to watch them this year.

I've actually ended up just dubbing this month Halloween month and using it to watch everything I've always wanted to but haven't gotten around to 🙂

1 minute ago, Shmup said:

I've had these on my list forever and was planning to watch them this year.

I've actually ended up just dubbing this month Halloween month and using it to watch everything I've always wanted to but haven't gotten around to 🙂

If you haven't seen them I hope the 9  Val Lewton horror films are on your list - they are pretty amazing for really low budget affairs,

4 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

If you haven't seen them I hope the 9  Val Lewton horror films are on your list - they are pretty amazing for really low budget affairs,

I have Cat People and The Body Snatcher, but will check out some others if you think they're worthwhile. What are some of your other favourites?

3 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I have Cat People and The Body Snatcher, but will check out some others if you think they're worthwhile. What are some of your other favourites?

The best of the others are The Leopard Man, Bedlam, The Seventh Victim (with an appearance by Hugh Beaumont who became the dad in Leave it to Beaver) and I Walked With A Zombie (this one and The Cat People are probably his two best)

• Thanks 1

Nightmare on Elm Street prequel 

Yes I know the tv series tackled this, but this really deserves a big screen treatment.  I’m thinking a Twin Peaks/Blue Velvet vibe, keep some of the surreal elements the Elm Street series is known for, but focus on the darker side of the American dream.

Make it a period piece.  The perfect American small town where nothing bad ever happens, till children start going missing.  People just wouldn’t even image something so awful could happen in their own back yard.  An unspeakable loss of innocence.

Fred Kruger, not the dream master, just the man haunts the parents, killing their children.  A grounded mystery and criminal investigation follows until Fred is caught and set free when the justice system fails.  The parents stricken from grief and compromise form a mob to kill him.  

And right before his death, Freddy swears he will return for the children, who will pay for the sins of their fathers and mothers.  This dark secret turns a man into a monster who fills the nightmares of the children of Elm Street.

Edited by fox

33 minutes ago, fox said:

Nightmare on Elm Street prequel 

Yes I know the tv series tackled this, but this really deserves a big screen treatment.  I’m thinking a Twin Peaks/Blue Velvet vibe, keep some of the surreal elements the Elm Street series is known for, but focus on the darker side of the American dream.

Make it a period piece.  The perfect American small town where nothing bad ever happens, till children start going missing.  People just wouldn’t even image something so awful could happen in their own back yard.  An unspeakable loss of innocence.

Fred Kruger, not the dream master, just the man haunts the parents, killing their children.  A grounded mystery and criminal investigation follows until Fred is caught and set free when the justice system fails.  The parents stricken from grief and compromise form a mob to kill him.  

And right before his death, Freddy swears he will return for the children, who will pay for the sins of their fathers and mothers.  This dark secret turns a man into a monster who fills the nightmares of the children of Elm Street.

I've always wanted this too. Could really be a great movie in the right hands.

• Agree 1