IGNORED

Do PS2/Wii Games Need Box Protectors?

Lago

I don't bother getting box protectors for plastic DVD or Blue Ray cases.  The only box protectors that I buy outside of the ones for traditional cardboard boxes are for PS1 long boxes.  In part it's because the PS1 long boxes are pretty delicate, but the main reason is because there were three different types of PS1 long boxes and each type is significantly different.  Putting them all in box protectors helps to make them look somewhat uniform on a shelf.  

• Like 1

I use them for my sealed games and pricier ones. I agree that they are definitely not needed for these types of cases, but I feel more comfortable handling them when they are in a box protector. 

On the other side of the coin, it sure seems like people are more drawn to the games in protectors when when are on a shelf. Almost like they feel the need to handle it.

On 10/13/2021 at 11:58 PM, DoctorEncore said:

I couldn't care less if the original case gets swapped out as long as the art, manual, and disc is legit.

I'm on the other side, I totally care, especially for expensive/rare games. There are different types of cases, e.g. for the PS2, even though they seem to be exactly the same they are not, but it takes time and a large collection to be able to tell. Plus, if the case gets swapped, the replacement one will be loosened in order to place the insert. It's easy to tell by opening the case and see how much resistance it has. and finally if you have the insert swapped, it has been touched with some risk of light damage/dirty on it.

not a criticism or anything, just how i feel about replacing dvd-type of cases, i think there's way too little awareness compared to the oh so precious cardboard type of game cases 🙂

to answer the thread question, i do not use them for ps2 games, but i think they make sense for expensive/rare games. holding a dvd case too hard will warp the insert. this is no.1 cause of insert damage on all dvd-cased games. it's a silent genocide☹️ you will damage the insert without even realising it.

Edited by Tyree_Cooper
  • Like 1