IGNORED

how did genesis carts come in the case?

I watched a few unboxings on YouTube and they had the end label pointing toward the opening, not the spine. But it's very possible they were packed by hand before being sealed, so it might be either way. I believe NES games were that way with regards to the direction the dust cover was put on, but I haven't opened enough NES games to say for sure.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, austin532 said:

(waves hand) Hi, I'm one of those idiots that opens sealed Nes games.😁

All Nes carts were put in the box facing forward with the label on top. All the sleeves were put in the box with cut out on the right except with the gold cart Zelda games.

I remember specifically watching some worker pack a Mario 2 at the factory on that "Nuts for Nintendo" news special where the cutout was on the left...just sayin'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 8bitsupremacy said:

I remember specifically watching some worker pack a Mario 2 at the factory on that "Nuts for Nintendo" news special where the cutout was on the left...just sayin'.

You can see the Mario 2's in their sleeves in the tray and the cut out is on the right. For Zelda II the cutout is on the left. They did this so that the gold cart would be visible through the box cutout.

5 hours ago, austin532 said:

You can see the Mario 2's in their sleeves in the tray and the cut out is on the right. For Zelda II the cutout is on the left. They did this so that the gold cart would be visible through the box cutout.

Holy crap I remembered that VERY wrong.  Apologies there...my brain was thinking about the Zeldas in the following shot.  Should have cross referenced before commenting but was being lazy.

Edited by 8bitsupremacy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, austin532 said:

(waves hand) Hi, I'm one of those idiots that opens sealed Nes games.😁

All Nes carts were put in the box facing forward with the label on top. All the sleeves were put in the box with cut out on the right except with the gold cart Zelda games.

Is that also true of Zelda revisions that don't have the window in the box?

1 hour ago, 8bitsupremacy said:

Holy crap I remembered that VERY wrong.  Apologies there...my brain was thinking about the Zeldas in the following shot.  Should have cross referenced before commenting but was being lazy.

image.png.c08ea5a58417f521acf04fd822bc83a2.png

Sticker seal, Mattel branding? Must be Canadian, they do everything backwards up there, you might still be right!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

i always cover the label with the dust sleeve. one, to protect the label and two, so i dont tear up my cuticles pulling the game out of the sleeve by the grip on the top of the cart. lol

That's how I've preferred them too, keeps the contact off the sticker.  I forgot they packed the stupid things backwards to that decades ago until I saw some debate on here/NA in the past going over it and I was kind of shocked.  It seemed ridiculous because you basically have the art exposed, but more so make it less convenient/easy to grab it by the grip on the side there because the plastic sleeve is in the way.  The gold cart was just made far more sense as it's an easy grab.

The Genesis though, I remember it as the images above showed, but I don't have a new one to crack open to prove that.  I do recall those where the sticker was the first thing you see the spine on if you open that way, and if you open it face forward like a book the mid/later life games would then have the red/white GENESIS flat in front of your eyes and readable (not upside down.)

• Like 1