IGNORED

I'm done with Pokemon

Gloves

Read the OP but haven’t read the thread, sorry if I missed anything.

Nope. I’m still going strong. I enjoy the games still. I think the Dexit nonsense with Gen 8 was overblown by a gaming crowd that enjoys sharpening pitchforks more than playing video games (that’s true for all modern gaming, not just Pokémon).

You (generally speaking, not directed at Gloves) have to take the series for what it is. If you’re expecting an RPG masterclass you’re going to be disappointed. If you’re expecting a chill no-stress run through in a quirky world with quirky little creatures then you’re going to be fine. It’s comfort food for me. I know what I’m getting and sometimes that’s what exactly I want.

The series as a whole has transcended the game market and has become a successful media franchise in its own right. You can enjoy that aspect of it without ever touching the games.

• Like 4

A lot has changed for the Pokémon games over the years. I see why some people just don’t feel the same way about the new stuff. I still enjoy the new games, but they do feel different and I don’t have any sense of nostalgia for anything after the DS games. I haven’t played Shield too much yet, but the incomplete Pokédex is a bummer.

• Like 1

I have a secret. I’ve never played a Pokemon game properly other than the random playtesting for 1-2 minutes to make sure it works. On the other hand, I love collecting Pokemon games. 

I guess as a gamer, I’m more into twitch, arcade-type games or when I do have the time, I prefer more mature themes in explorative-type games. That’s just my personal taste, I have nothing at all against Pokemon gamers. As a collector, finding a rare-condition Pokemon game is a challenge I like to take on, particularly the ones with cardboard boxes.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

I actually admire the Pokemon series for continuing its traditional structure (more or less) throughout the series. Not everything needs to evolve or take risks to be fun, especially when the game's demographic constantly downshifts to the newest crop of 12-year-olds.

We haven't been the target audience for Pokemon games in over a decade, so I don't blame the developers if the novelty has worn-off for the "nostalgic adult" crowd.

But, admittedly, I preferred the TV series and trading cards as a kid - so take my opinion with a grain of salt. (I've never even played a post-GBA Pokemon game.)

-CasualCart

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, CasualCart said:

I actually admire the Pokemon series for continuing its traditional structure (more or less) throughout the series. Not everything needs to evolve or take risks to be fun, especially when the game's demographic constantly downshifts to the newest crop of 12-year-olds.

As a lifelong Pokemon fan, this is one of my favorite things about the series since since it means I can always know what I'm getting into with each new entry. I did have a period in the lead up to Gen 7 where I was worried I wouldn't like the games. But then they released, and I loved them just like all the rest.

All that said, Game Freak has been slowly experimenting more and more with the series over the last 6-7 years, and I'm excited to see where they go with it. I look forward to seeing how Legends Arceus turns out.

• Like 2

It's one of few things Pokemon and Dragon Quest have in common, other than easily racking up 100 hours playing.  Where Pokemon takes it a bit too far, it's so samey it's rare to get a RPG where it's not another gym wash rinse repeat with little else.  It's why (Ultra)Sun/Moon were so refreshing and it turned it around quite a bit and added stories with layers.:)

• Like 1