IGNORED

Working from home?

Fryer64

6 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I’ve been working from home since November 2019. When I got my new job it was agreed I could be 100% work from home, so I was in before the pandemic hit. A commute from MD to to VA isn’t bad in terms of miles but traffic is totally redic. I really enjoy working from home. I get on around 7am, hit the gym around 9:30a, and I get off at 4p when my wife and son get home. I spend more time with my family and zero time being stuck in a commute everyday. Plus I don’t live far enough away where going to the office once a week or two isn’t impossible. Pandemic hasn’t helped that but I’ve been back a few times since it’s lightened up. 

Going from Gaithersburg to anywhere in VA during rush hour is a nightmare.

• Agree 1

Social Team · Posted

Been working from home for over a year.  It was a little bit of a challenge for something.  The biggest issue is I had a standing desk at the office (was having a hard time staying awake in a sitting desk 😅).  At home my "office" chair seemed good enough until I started to used it for HOURS every day.  I got massive back issues and ponied up the money for a Herman Miller chair and so glad I did.  My posture has increased a ton and I can sit in it for over 16 hours a day and not have back pain.  But of course standing is better than sitting.  The whole gaining weight was a big issue for me.  Had to go up a size but hopefully I'll get off my ass and start to workout again.

This week is the first week that I'll be doing off and on remote working.  I'll be doing a minimum of two days a week in the office.  Not looking forward to the 1+ drive time and cost to drive to work.  But I do miss talking to some people so I see the need for in-person work to have better work relationships with co-workers that I don't often get to work with but will keep an informal relationship so when I do need to work with them it's an easy task.  

Honestly I was decently productive working from home as I had less distractions, I'm a talkative person 😁, but the last month has been rough for me.  I'm just scatter brain and not sure if it's the work from home or that it just happens from time to time.  I struggle with organization and over estimating how much work I can get done so I end up taking on more work/projects than I can handle which makes me even worse with staying on top of work when I'm swimming in it.  Again, issues that I don't think are really a result of remote working.  I had these issue before Covid but my work isn't consistant so this latest wave of work has been a struggle to keep my head afloat.  I think I'll be good come late fall......I say this every 6 months or so, "I'm sucking it now but in a few months it'll lighten up."  

I've been working from home since March of 2020.  I love it and I hope that they eventually make my remote working permanent.  I've always had my own office at home for personal reasons and I'm setup with 3 monitors, so I can work just as well at home as I can in the office.  I'm also fortunate enough that all of my work can be performed remotely.  Overall, I can get just as much work done during my 8 hours, but I also have more time at home because I don't have to commute into St. Louis traffic every day.  

There is only one downside to working from home.  Taxes.  My office is in Missouri, but my home is in Illinois.  Since my office is in MO, they take MO withholding.  But since I'm technically working in IL, I am supposed to pay IL taxes.  That means during tax season, I owe IL a shit load of money, but I also get a huge tax refund from MO.  Normally I wouldn't care since it nets out.  However, the money I owe IL is over the threshold to trigger estimated tax payments.  I received a HUGE tax penalty last year because the amount I owed IL was "too high."  I'm fighting that penalty since it's obvious bullshit and was out of my control, but since this will continue going forward, I will need to start making estimated payments this year.  My company policy states they will not change my state withholding unless I'm cleared to permanently work from home, and they refuse to make that decision right now.   

• Sad 1

Graphics Team · Posted

I've been working from home full-time since May of 2020.

While I like the flexibility of my hours, I really miss the structure that an office provides for work-life balance. I also find it more difficult to be productive without the stimulus of other people working around me.

The studio I work for isn't planning to physically re-open until 2022, and even then it will be at reduced capacity with people working in part-time shifts. 

I would love to get back to the studio, but I shouldn't complain because it's a blessing just to have a job that can be done remotely when a lot of people have lost theirs or have to expose themselves to the virus in order to work.

-CasualCart

• Like 3

It's been off and on for me depending on the task I'm working on. My wife and I moved back to our hometown last year though which changed my 3 minute commute into a 40 minute commute, so I really prefer working from home whenever possible. Luckily I can be flexible with charging my time, so even if I have to drive in for work, I can work longer days and take a day (sometimes two) off.

I'm generally pretty introverted so I prefer working from home, but I don't like using a webcam. Haven't had to do it for work yet, but I know I will if I start interviewing. I'd rather interview in-person. Talking is fine, it's just... weird to be on camera and I don't like it.