IGNORED

Metal coil security sticker from Hell

Tyree_Cooper

Not sure if anyone has experience removing this particular type of sticker. Outer layer is plastified paper, with thick glue underneath. And under it a long flat coil of metal.

It's straight from Hell. Last time I got one off a PS2 seal and it left the seal wavy and stretched.

Will it help to use a blowdryer? How hot before I risk damaging the seal and the insert paper? Soaking with white spirit or anything else doesn't work since the metal part protect the glue under it.

This one is on a sealed PS Vita game.

20210825_221312.jpg

9 hours ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

Will it help to use a blowdryer? How hot before I risk damaging the seal and the insert paper? Soaking with white spirit or anything else doesn't work since the metal part protect the

Do not use a blow dryer!
When this warms the glue, it also makes the plastic underneath pliable. As you tug on the label, the plastic will stretch. These labels require a lot of adhesive disolver and patience. It doesn't matter whether you are running the blow dryer or letting it cool when you pry and tug. It will stretch.
The heat also can make anything plastic or laminated / waxy squish and stretch when pressure is applied as well as cause cavities of cases to slightly or dramatically bow. I did this mistankenly when applying heat to a Sega Genesis cart. Poor thing looked like Mr Bumpy's ear wax afterwards. You gotta be careful with heat.
The same thing goes for any foil sticker like "official NFL product" or Microsoft (MS) employer store stickers By far MS store labels are the worst to remove, requiring a lot of patience, though you still may end up with scuff marks from the removal process. 
When using the chemical method for removing adhesive, you must also be wary of where the fluid touches, especially on sealed items. Place scraps of paper towel outside the area of the label to block seams. If the fluid touches the case art, it may cause warping and may bleed colors. 
  • Like 2

Ok then no heat 😲😲

I know those Microsoft stickers. This one is MUCH thicker and with a much thicker glue layer. And the metal strip is also much thicker and bastard because of the amount of glue. I hope whoever invented this sticker is proud of his job!

There's a holo sticker right next to this monstrosity, so I will surely need to be careful about leaking.

What product should I use? Googone? I can try to push some of it froma  corner and see if it manages to soften up the glue.

I'll be posting a photo of that Ridge Racer V I removed the sticker from. From a distance it looks fine, but on closer inspection it really stretched and warped the seal.

I don't want this happening to this game - it was expensive. And I had no idea it had a sticker at the back... 😞

Try Bestine, I've had good luck removing all sorts of stickers with that stuff. Use a q-tip and get the corner of the sticker saturated so that it will peel up. Then rub the qtip along the bottom of the sticker as you pull it up. The stuff evaporates fast.

• Love 1

I removed one of those from an N64 box with a hair dryer.  Seriously, you set the blower to high, wait around 30 seconds or so, and start peeling.  If it starts sticking, blow it again.  It basically just melts the shit out of the glue, making it easy to peel.  Just do it slowly so you can catch if the coil stays behind...they're a bitch to get off if they stay behind.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2021 at 9:34 PM, Tyree_Cooper said:

Ok then no heat 😲😲

I know those Microsoft stickers. This one is MUCH thicker and with a much thicker glue layer. And the metal strip is also much thicker and bastard because of the amount of glue. I hope whoever invented this sticker is proud of his job!

There's a holo sticker right next to this monstrosity, so I will surely need to be careful about leaking.

What product should I use? Googone? I can try to push some of it froma  corner and see if it manages to soften up the glue.

I'll be posting a photo of that Ridge Racer V I removed the sticker from. From a distance it looks fine, but on closer inspection it really stretched and warped the seal.

I don't want this happening to this game - it was expensive. And I had no idea it had a sticker at the back... 😞

I can't speak to its effectiveness, but I read something about using blu tack as a liquid barrier. I think I'll try that with the next one I do. Basically make a little square wall out of putty around the sticker to make a "pool" to hold the solvent while it does its work on the adhesive.

Edited by Alder
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 9:41 PM, B.A. said:

Try Bestine, I've had good luck removing all sorts of stickers with that stuff. Use a q-tip and get the corner of the sticker saturated so that it will peel up. Then rub the qtip along the bottom of the sticker as you pull it up. The stuff evaporates fast.

Bestine is the single greatest chemical ever for removing stickers. On carts keep it away from non glossy labels though. Haven’t found a sticker yet that held up against bestine and an ifixit spudger 

Edited by a3quit4s

5 hours ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

I'm off looking for a bottle of Bestine, which is probably not allowed to be shipped privately, so I hope some shop has it in stock. Thanks!

I think I got mine on Amazon unless things have changed in the last year or so. 

edit: here it is https://www.amazon.com/Bestine-Solvent-Thinner-Rubber-Cement/dp/B004O7HM38/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1RA0PPE761HGF&dchild=1&keywords=bestine&qid=1630841728&sprefix=bestine&sr=8-3

Edited by a3quit4s

47 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

If amazon fails wouldn't Lowes have it, or Home Depot?

I didn’t see it on their sites when I was looking for it. It seems to be more of an art product for its intended use, whatever that may be, cause I just used it to remove an SNES label from Madden 94 to make a donor cartridge for a Rex Ronan I got cheap on eBay. That’s definitely not included on its uses on the product label lol

4 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I didn’t see it on their sites when I was looking for it. It seems to be more of an art product for its intended use, whatever that may be, cause I just used it to remove an SNES label from Madden 94 to make a donor cartridge for a Rex Ronan I got cheap on eBay. That’s definitely not included on its uses on the product label lol

Well then if that's the case probably Hobby Lobby, JoAnns, and Michaels would be the place to get as they specialize in art and hobby stuff.

On 9/4/2021 at 6:19 AM, Alder said:

I can't speak to its effectiveness, but I read something about using blu tack as a liquid barrier. I think I'll try that with the next one I do. Basically make a little square wall out of putty around the sticker to make a "pool" to hold the solvent while it does its work on the adhesive.

Ooh, that's a fancy idea.

For what it's worth for the thread, I removed one of these super carefully with bestine over the course of like a half hour and it still left an impression. I'm not sure how much of that was my fault or how much of it was inevitable due to the type of sticker.

Edited by DefaultGen

3 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Ooh, that's a fancy idea.

For what it's worth for the thread, I removed one of these super carefully with bestine over the course of like a half hour and it still left an impression. I'm not sure how much of that was my fault or how much of it was inevitable due to the type of sticker.

I'm pretty sure that unless one of these was removed immediately after being initially applied, all the years of these types of games being stored in stacks, pressed up against other games, etc., will have caused the metal coils to press in upon whatever label they're up against and leave a likely permanent impression.  Pretty sure you're not at all to blame for anything if you were able to remove it without taking of the underlying paper or print with it.

yes i think it will still leave some sort of "3d imprint" on the seal (not the box or artwork though) due to being there for a long time, even if you remove it perfectly without stretching the seal at all. that damage has already been done, it's just not visible until you remove the sticker.

will be trying when i have time and get back here with some photos.