IGNORED

Not for resale NES?

At a friends palce today, he told me that he got an early 'promo' copy of Festers Quest.  I asked if it was a testing thing but he said it wasnt.  He ended up keeping it.  Said it had everything that the game would have.  Box, cart with label etc.  But he said it maybe have had "Not for resale" on it.  I told him I don't think ive ever seen any "Not for Resale" NES branded stuff.  Does anyone know if this even potentially exists?  Thought I would just bring it up.  Would also be interesting if this is where the Ultra/Konami 5 screws may have came from?

Probably talking about the games that have a clear sticker with “NINTENDO PROMOTIONAL OFFER NOT FOR RESALE” on them.

Still one of the bigger mysteries left for the system as to how many games got them and what’s their exact purpose…though it’s highly plausible that they’re Nintendo employee “scratch n dent” copies.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

Probably talking about the games that have a clear sticker with “NINTENDO PROMOTIONAL OFFER NOT FOR RESALE” on them.

Still one of the bigger mysteries left for the system as to how many games got them and what’s their exact purpose…though it’s highly plausible that they’re Nintendo employee “scratch n dent” copies.

From what I remember, it was random.  He was a subscriber to Nintendo Power and would write to them with game ideas and such.  Perhaps they had a database of kids/age etc and would give out samples to see how the games would hit once actually released.  I gotta ask next time if he had to fill something out for them.

7 hours ago, AnimalHouse said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but NES promo copy have a star code on the top side flaps? (see attached)

Next time you talk to your friend, could you ask for a photo and attach it here?

I've seen plenty of NFR on SNES but not NES.

SMB NES White Star.jpg

SMB2 NES Black Star.jpg

That's an outdated theory.

The "★" coded boxes DO NOT indicate that the game was a promo release. Instead, the "★" code on boxes indicate three things.

1. The game is a first party release (Although, I wonder if the LJN Major League Baseball variant is linked to this somehow)
  2. The Box had a previous release without the "★" on the box flap
  3. The right hand side of the box has an additional line of legal text added that says either...
    1. FOR SALE AND USE IN USA AND CANADA ONLY
    2. FOR SALE AND USE IN THE USA, CANADA AND MEXICO ONLY
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

The "★" coded boxes DO NOT indicate that the game was a promo release. Instead, the "★" code on boxes indicate three things.

1. The game is a first party release (Although, I wonder if the LJN Major League Baseball variant is linked to this somehow)
  3. The right hand side of the box has an additional line of legal text added that says either...

Man, I was all set to start typing up a similar response, but you saved me the trouble.  But yeah, to reiterate, star box does NOT mean promotional...

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Man, I was all set to start typing up a similar response, but you saved me the trouble.  But yeah, to reiterate, star box does NOT mean promotional...

I'll save it for you for next time 😉

I'm sure it will be posted a thousand times more until the end of time. It's a great, fun theory...but the new one makes way more sense.

57 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

I learned it from Wata's nes black box variant pdf guide. Nonetheless, I appreciate the info. I learn something new everyday.

2 minutes ago, AnimalHouse said:

I learned it from Wata's nes black box variant pdf guide. Nonetheless, I appreciate the info. I learn something new everyday.

They based their guide after all the old NintendoAge theories since they were, Afterall, old NintendoAge users.

I think the original theory was @Braveheart69’s.

12 minutes ago, AnimalHouse said:

Does Nintendo not keep information (variations, codes, etc.) on vintage platforms for pple to lookup? Example: Library, Wikipedia, etc.

First party information from for-profit organizations can't always be trusted.  Better to do your own research and discover the truth.   Go try and find information on Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! on the list of NES games on their website, for example...

• Like 1