IGNORED

Create a "Repairs" section dedicated to the reparations of broken consoles or games

Ulrizza

Hi!

I think a section where people can ask for help if they have a problem with their system could be nice. 

It could also be used for people (like me) that enjoy repairing stuff regularly and want to share their work, tips, specificities of the repair, etc. 

This may be interesting for people that simply enjoy seing a broken system come back to life, or if they want to repair themselves a broken console 😊

• Like 10
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
Social Team · Posted

@Glovesthis is just too good to not do.  Console and game repairs are more and more necessary with time.  Also, I feel like we should throw in a "modding" section too.  I feel like those go hand in hand.   Hard part is if it get's it's main section like Homebrew or if it get's a sub section to "Playing Games" or "Collector's Lair" 

Would hacking of games fit?  Making main section is "The Workshop".  And then there would be three subsections

• Repair Shop - Restoring & Fixing broken arcade, consoles, and games
  • Modder's Shop - Modding and customizing consoles/arcades (hardware)
  • Hacker's Corner - Console/Game hacking (software)

Hacker's Corner may be a sub of Modder's Shop like "Finders Keepers/Losers Weepers" is to "Show Off"

Edited by FireHazard51
  • Like 6
  • Love 2

@FireHazard51 I like the subsections you're proposing 😀

I think it's better to leave the hackers and the modders in 2 different sections, it's very different to physically mod a console/game and programmatically hack a game/console! 

I'm also thinking about the main goal of a topic, I see 3 possibilities: showing off something, asking for help or making a Tuto. But I don't know if this can be used to arrange the sections / subsections 🤔

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2021 at 12:33 PM, FireHazard51 said:

@Glovesthis is just too good to not do.  Console and game repairs are more and more necessary with time.  Also, I feel like we should throw in a "modding" section too.  I feel like those go hand in hand.   Hard part is if it get's it's main section like Homebrew or if it get's a sub section to "Playing Games" or "Collector's Lair" 

Would hacking of games fit?  Making main section is "The Workshop".  And then there would be three subsections

• Repair Shop - Restoring & Fixing broken arcade, consoles, and games
  • Modder's Shop - Modding and customizing consoles/arcades (hardware)
  • Hacker's Corner - Console/Game hacking (software)

Hacker's Corner may be a sub of Modder's Shop like "Finders Keepers/Losers Weepers" is to "Show Off"

I love this idea. I’d also probably throw crt related trouble shooting questions into the repair shop. 

• Like 1

This is actually a really good idea.  Might I suggest expanding it a bit to an overall "technical" section?  Can lump in things like repairs, repros, mods, etc.  Probably a bit of work to add it into the forum, but I think it'd be worthwhile, as I haven't seen anywhere that would be a suitable place to ask about things like that.

• Like 3

Me neither, the worst part is that I have 2 of them in the same condition!

I don't know what appended, I got them this way, but since they smell a lot like gazoline, I imagine that they where retrieved from a flooded home that had a fuel oil tank (not sure about the English world, in French it's called "fioul", and it's used to power up old homes heating system) 

4 minutes ago, Ulrizza said:

Me neither, the worst part is that I have 2 of them in the same condition!

I don't know what appended, I got them this way, but since they smell a lot like gazoline, I imagine that they where retrieved from a flooded home that had a fuel oil tank (not sure about the English world, in French it's called "fioul", and it's used to power up old homes heating system) 

I think we'd just call it a gas furnace, if I'm thinking of the right thing. 

Social Team · Posted
31 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I think we'd just call it a gas furnace, if I'm thinking of the right thing. 

Na, I think he used the right term.  Oil/Kerosene fuel homes still exist.  https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/oil-fired-boilers-and-furnaces  They are pretty nasty and natural gas/propane furnaces are a much cleaner way to heat your home.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

Na, I think he used the right term.  Oil/Kerosene fuel homes still exist.  https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/oil-fired-boilers-and-furnaces  They are pretty nasty and natural gas/propane furnaces are a much cleaner way to heat your home.

"Oil-fired furnace" is a far cry from "fuel oil tank." I had said "gas" as a short for "gasoline," but since natural gas/propane furnaces are called gas ones as well, I should've just used the full term.  Apology for the confusion on that.

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

"Oil-fired furnace" is a far cry from "fuel oil tank." I had said "gas" as a short for "gasoline," but since natural gas/propane furnaces are called gas ones as well, I should've just used the full term.  Apology for the confusion on that.

I thought it was implied that the oil-fired furnace has an oil fuel tank.  I hope the hell gasoline isn't use in fueling homes considering how explosive it can be but honestly I'm only aware that there are "oil tanks" used for old furnaces.  I'm just making an assumption that it would be some kind of oil or kerosene as I know that's what old oil lantern use for fuel.   Either way I think we are on the same page that some kind of petroleum product was released inside a flooded home.  

That NES needs to be flooded again with some soap and water 😏

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

I thought it was implied that the oil-fired furnace has an oil fuel tank.  I hope the hell gasoline isn't use in fueling homes considering how explosive it can be but honestly I'm only aware that there are "oil tanks" used for old furnaces.  I'm just making an assumption that it would be some kind of oil or kerosene as I know that's what old oil lantern use for fuel.   Either way I think we are on the same page that some kind of petroleum product was released inside a flooded home.  

Thinking about it, the gasoline smell could've been from a flooded home, but not in any way related to the heating system.  Just dawned on me that pumps used to drain flooded areas typically run on gasoline.  I schlepped a bunch of those at my old job when the Bow River flooded here.  That could be where it came from.

Social Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Thinking about it, the gasoline smell could've been from a flooded home, but not in any way related to the heating system.  Just dawned on me that pumps used to drain flooded areas typically run on gasoline.  I schlepped a bunch of those at my old job when the Bow River flooded here.  That could be where it came from.

giphy.gif

If that thing smell of gasoline I hope the hell he cleaned it before plugging it in.  I demand to see the clean working NES playing.....

Spoiler

22202230%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

• Haha 1

I think it's already been green lit, but just to add to the general feeling here, at the very least it would be great to know who had which special tools and/or dongles in their possession to do certain repairs.  Like the rig that I remember hearing about to be able to reprogram Capcom CPS2 boards, for example, or the stuff to reflash the NES Action Replay (something I'm sure I need done), etc.

• Love 1

Social Team · Posted
36 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I think it's already been green lit, but just to add to the general feeling here, at the very least it would be great to know who had which special tools and/or dongles in their possession to do certain repairs.  Like the rig that I remember hearing about to be able to reprogram Capcom CPS2 boards, for example, or the stuff to reflash the NES Action Replay (something I'm sure I need done), etc.

I like this idea a lot.  A list of tools/gear to do projects.  From simple screw drivers to open up NES carts.  To electronic hardware/rigs used to flash a game.  Maybe it could be is own section called "The Toolbox - tool reviews and recommendations for your gaming projects"  

2 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

I like this idea a lot.  A list of tools/gear to do projects.  From simple screw drivers to open up NES carts.  To electronic hardware/rigs used to flash a game.  Maybe it could be is own section called "The Toolbox - tool reviews and recommendations for your gaming projects"  

Well, that's not a bad idea either, like a compilation that's constantly being added to, preferably with things like manufacturer and Amazon links so folks can find the correct thing to make a purchase.  But I was really pointing to having it known which members have certain specialized equipment required to do some PITA and very technical jobs so that folks can either go to them for such work (most likely scenario) or who to reach out to in order to arrange to borrow such a thing (much less likely).  Like use X, Y, and Z for basics on consoles A, B, and C, and contact AB for work requiring rare/expensive tool XY.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

8 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

If that thing smell of gasoline I hope the hell he cleaned it before plugging it in.  I demand to see the clean working NES playing.....

I thought I'll be waiting for the section to be up to share the cleaning process but since it can take some time (no worries, it already is nice that this idea is taken into account, no hurry here 😊), I might create a thread elsewhere in the meantime.

8 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Where I live there is still plenty of homes running on "oil-fired furnace".
And with the strength of the smell and the rainbow reflections on the water after cleaning it, I think there were submerged in something containing a lot of "petroleum product", and I don't think a working pump will not leak that much. 

8 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

It has already been done !

I'll create a dedicated thread (when I have the time) so we can talk more about it, or about home heating systems it's also an interesting subject 😁

• Like 1