IGNORED

I Completed the US Virtual Boy Set this year

Tanooki

A little journey that started at the end of January and finished around the end of this August.  During this year I learned to improve my soldering skills and work on a few things, and I was able to buy, sell, trade, and turn over this or that and did this on a relatively shoestring budget given what VB can get you for.  I've got all 14 of the US games, 11 of them are complete, 13 have the manual.  I've also got as you can see a great intact rental case, Japanese stuff,  prototype, and even the Hyper Fighting (SF2T) homebrew too.

I charted out the journey into a file so I know what went into it, got returned in repairs and turnovers, and what was an expense and it was fun.  I'm not done, just have to see how it goes.  Bottom line though, I'm just over $700 into all of this and it started with a $75 purchase (then paying $60 for priority mail insured both ways + repair shipping due to busted eyes on it.)  I'd like to think I'll in time get the missing boxes and manual, and I very well may but Jack Bros will get ugly, and I do care to grab Space Squash and in 2020 a true kit comes out so I can explore the Japanese stuff patched into english.

Not pictured I've got a 2nd system I repaired myself (my first) it's 100% except for a stand.

VirtualBoyUSComplete.jpeg

• Like 10

Oddly enough, nothing really.  I guess if it were one it was Water World because I kept bumping into trolls wanting $150+ for it loose, and I wasn't going to budge. Jack Bros cost me the most at $200 +Dragon WarriorIV(w/guide.)

Like I said I charted it out, like that rental box originally had a complete setup inside that was needing help, so keeping this or that and repairing the VB and reselling it I got the case with a few dust clips, 3 game upgrades, an OEM stand, the manual, and a nicer battery box for $50.  Hyper Fighting was the third biggest hit at $130, and a CIB Waterworld for $140 after selling the manual was second.  If there's interest I'd paste the sloppy notes.

59 minutes ago, m308gunner said:

That's alot of commitment towards getting a constant headache :P. But seriously congrats on the journey man. The set looks great.

You know it never once bothered me, even if I sat in it for hours.

I'd love to see Zero Racers and Dragon Hopper too, but it is fairly know that DH game was done and now into the vapor until...?  Faceball / Nikuchan Battle is done, and the Faceball Remastered take that and the other modes get new maps as Niku wasn't done so it just reruns the same courses on the different menu choices.  Space Pinball I hope someone fixes the code so you can play more than one ball without a drop to the menu as I'd love to do that one.

Welcome to the club! I completed mine several years ago, but it's mostly cart only so it doesn't hold a candle to yours!

I'm jealous of the rental case. Funny how you also have a second VB, I do as well, I think it's a trend among VB fans. Though mine does not have a stand, I just have one.

Glad to see someone else who also enjoys the console. It's not the best, no, but I can comfortably lay on my back with the visor on my face and play for hours. 

What are some of your favorites to play?

Congrats on completing the set. VB is completely elusive to me. It must have died a hard death; I was born in 1991 and remember NES games at EB Games and renting SNES/Genesis games, but the first and only VB thing I've seen "in the wild" is a loose copy of Mario Tennis in a game store earlier this year. 

I’m on my phone so it’s a bit of a pain quoting.  

nightowl thanks and I agree. It does seem wise to keep a spare. I could use the money but let’s be honest the ICs for the mirror and motor assembly are the most likely to fail after the glue issue and can not be replaced so it’s good thinking.  The VB never made me uncomfortable being in it for a hour or more at a table which I still do with my work at home desk.  My favorites historically were and still are both Mario’s and wario along with red alarm which to me is like Star Fox and galactic pinball. I’ve got a soft spot for 3D Tetris as it was my last game in the day but if the new to me stuff Jack Bros is a cruel challenge and fun and Nesters Funky Bowling is some solid fun. Off library though Hyper Fighting is truly epic as is the fun afforded by the finished and unreleased bound high. 

alder and galdius thanks you two.  Lucky getting the set when it was super cheap. I think I got out beyond light given the year.  The system is very elusive. In the last five years I’ve seen two loose games and two naked headpieces alone for an insane $75 I ignored. Luck was on my side with the unit I got for that same rate with all the goodies. It really is an elusive system having lasted about a year. A true shame given it never got a fair chance due to bungling and assuming a 95 N64 release that never was. If bound high, face ball and the finished and missing dragon hopper are any clue it should have lasted a bit longer with like able games. 

You're only missing insmouse?  So you have Virtual Bowling, Fishing, and Lab, Gundam, V-Tetris, Space Squash, and Space Invaders?  That's definitely not cheap.  I so want to love insmouse but with that overly restrictive clock and the random way the maps work it's too much for me not to lose my temper over.  I've tried it repeatedly using emulation to get myself there and can't.  The clock for me breaks the game, not any of the rest of it.

The reason I have as many CIB was a weird dumb luck find where I got 6 box/manual/inserts/tray for $100, and then the guy packed it horribly wrecking the GOlf box so I got a partial refund below that value.  It along with the 3 boxes I already had got me up to 8 CIB games as one was a double.  At the point where I had 2/3 of the library complete and I had got a few of the cheapest ones free from a friend I went for it.

If anyone cares I've attached my rough notes tracker covering the creation of what put that picture together basically.  That's how I pulled it off to date.  I'd still like to at least get Space Squash as I owned it once and it's fun.

vbsales-collection.txt

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

You're only missing insmouse?  So you have Virtual Bowling, Fishing, and Lab, Gundam, V-Tetris, Space Squash, and Space Invaders?  That's definitely not cheap. 

vbsales-collection.txt 1.58 kB · 1 download

I'm gonna go ahead and guess not. Most people who own some of Nintendo's rarest games ever are more than a little aware of what they have.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 10:55 PM, Nightowljrm said:

Welcome to the club! I completed mine several years ago, but it's mostly cart only so it doesn't hold a candle to yours!

I'm jealous of the rental case.

same here! i never managed to pick up Hyper Fighting, but repros of it are more available now than they've ever been so there's still time.

a few years ago there were some guys working on a VB link cable. did that ever get finished and released?

congrats on finishing the set OP!!

8 hours ago, twiztor said:

same here! i never managed to pick up Hyper Fighting, but repros of it are more available now than they've ever been so there's still time.

a few years ago there were some guys working on a VB link cable. did that ever get finished and released?

congrats on finishing the set OP!!

Thanks, and YES among other projects related to it and beyond and it's from Mellott

http://www.mellottsvrpage.com/index.php/virtual-boy-projects/

Not only do you have the link cable, but games have been hacked extensively to add 2P modes or more to link such games together to play (like Mario Tennis.)  Currently he's working next year on getting out a true sd card using flash kit.  You're right about HF, and it has dropped the value of it quite a bit even in just recent months.  Back when I got it, it was a stunning saving and now it's not so much but still ahead of the curve at least.

• 2 months later...