IGNORED

Are the Famicom and NES the same thing?

cj_robot

3 hours ago, CasualCart said:

To be honest, this has always bothered me way more than it should.

In a discussion about SNES games, when someone says they played Final Fantasy VI I assume they either played the Super Famicom game in Japanese, or they've got a compulsive need to flex their "incredibly vast" knowledge of the Final Fantasy franchise. The SNES game is called Final Fantasy III - there's no such thing as Final Fantasy IV on the Super Nintendo.

I wish I didn't care. I reeeally wish I didn't care. But I do and it makes my blood boil.

-CasualCart

Honestly I don’t really care either way, usually you can tell what game people are talking about by the context of the conversation.

I wouldn’t say “incredibly vast” knowledge though.. I am not a huge Final Fantasy fan. I couldn’t tell you much about 3/4’s  of the games in the series. But I do know that the numbers got corrected at some point and 3 was changed to 6.

Doesnt really matter what people call it, technically both are correct in the US

Graphics Team · Posted
12 hours ago, phart010 said:

Honestly I don’t really care either way, usually you can tell what game people are talking about by the context of the conversation.

I wouldn’t say “incredibly vast” knowledge though.. I am not a huge Final Fantasy fan. I couldn’t tell you much about 3/4’s  of the games in the series. But I do know that the numbers got corrected at some point and 3 was changed to 6.

Doesnt really matter what people call it, technically both are correct in the US

This is the level-headed viewpoint I wish I shared haha.

Ultimately, what bothers me isn't the naming convention - it's the pretentiousness associated with it. Unnecessarily "correcting" the Final Fantasy chronology gives off major know-it-all vibes. (I was being facetious when I said "incredibly vast knowledge" - the original Japanese numbering of the Final Fantasy series is common knowledge for classic gamers).

-CasualCart

492367717_FinalFantasyAckchually.jpg.784bc248b07963b1b4fead5cf9df0a7b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Lol, that's how I feel when I see people who insists on calling the game "FF3" for absolute no good reason outside of being stubborn and ambiguous in their terminology. Just call the thing what it is.

Like you said, everyone knows it's the 6th game, so why not call it by it's real name? I don't go around calling Contra "Gryzor" or "Probotector" either because I'm not a doofus. 😛 

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 2

On 7/4/2021 at 10:00 AM, CasualCart said:

To be honest, this has always bothered me way more than it should.

In a discussion about SNES games, when someone says they played Final Fantasy VI I assume they either played the Super Famicom game in Japanese, or they've got a compulsive need to flex their "incredibly vast" knowledge of the Final Fantasy franchise. The SNES game is called Final Fantasy III - there's no such thing as Final Fantasy IV on the Super Nintendo.

I wish I didn't care. I reeeally wish I didn't care. But I do and it makes my blood boil.

-CasualCart

FF6 was never released on SNES where I am so the first time I played it was on PS1. I’d say a large majority of non US people call the SNES version 6 even if it says 3 on the cover, at least the people I talk to always do.

I can understand the reason why NA people would still say 3, it’s what you grew up on, but I think a lot of other people just call it by the number in the series because there is no connection to 3 and it is confusing.

Edit: also I forgot that you guys call it 3 until I read this thread haha.

Edited by Shmup
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

Lol, that's how I feel when I see people who insists on calling the game "FF3" for absolute no good reason outside of being stubborn and ambiguous in their terminology. Just call the thing what it is.

Like you said, everyone knows it's the 6th game, so why not call it by it's real name? I don't go around calling Contra "Gryzor" or "Probotector" either because I'm not a doofus. 😛 

Then please never refer to Rockman as "Mega Man", don't ever call Biohazard "Resident Evil", and never refer to "Adventure Island" as anything but it's real name: 高橋名人の冒険島.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, cj_robot said:

Then please never refer to Rockman as "Mega Man", don't ever call Biohazard "Resident Evil", and never refer to "Adventure Island" as anything but it's real name: 高橋名人の冒険島.

You mean calling Adventure Island the following or? Gāoqiáo míngrén de màoxiǎn dǎo 

Oops, shit! Another ambiguity 😄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cj_robot said:

Depending on who I'm talking to I'll say Rockman, sure. But I'm not sure in which way "Mega Man" is in any way ambiguous?? It's hardly comparable.
Also:

aamBX5b.png

Edited by Sumez

8 hours ago, Shmup said:

FF6 was never released on SNES where I am so the first time I played it was on PS1. I’d say a large majority of non US people call the SNES version 6 even if it says 3 on the cover, at least the people I talk to always do.

I can understand the reason why NA people would still say 3, it’s what you grew up on, but I think a lot of other people just call it by the number in the series because there is no connection to 3 and it is confusing.

I understand why people call it 3, because look:
Final Fantasy 3: Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Video Games -  Amazon.ca

Also, here's an ebay search for "Final Fantasy VI": https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=final+fantasy+vi&_sacat=0

And here's one for "Final Fantasy III":  https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=final+fantasy+iii&_sacat=0

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

Edw7mdE.pngXg3bWi2.png

🤔

Maybe because eBay is a platform for physical objects? I'm also not going to find a "Street Gangs" by searching for River City Ransom, or a "Mobile Light Force" by searching for Gunbird, or a "Mobile Light Force 2" by searching for Shikigami No Shiro. Or the Japanese version of Final Fantasy VI by searching for Final Fantasy III.

Graphics Team · Posted
10 hours ago, Shmup said:

Yeah - I would only refer to it as Final Fantasy III when I'm talking about the North American SNES release. Basically, I use region-specific titles for whatever game I'm talking about. 99% of the time, it's the clearest way to reference games across regions (the exception being games like this with chronology issues haha).

-CasualCart

Graphics Team · Posted
11 hours ago, Sumez said:

I've always felt that regional releases of media are each distinct and important in their own way, so I try not to lump them together unnecessarily. I also think specificity (to a reasonable degree) is important for clarity, rather than defaulting to a common denominator (especially when that common denominator fluctuates as you've proven with the Mega Man / Rockman example).

And for the record - I'm not insinuating that you don't appreciate regional releases just because you generalize them. You've given some valid reasons for categorizing games and systems the way you do. 

I don't appreciate you calling me a doofus though. If my joke offended you, just let me know and I'd be more than willing to delete that doodle - I wouldn't want anyone to think my comments are in bad taste.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

I don't appreciate you calling me a doofus though.

In that case I sincerely apologise. I really intentionally tried to use the least offensive word I could think of 😆

I hope no one here is taking this debate too seriously? 

I'd say Final Fantasy III if I'm for any reason addressing the North America exclusive release specifically, sure. It makes sense. 

But usually when talking about the game that's pretty irrelevant. It's one of my favourite games of all time (at least a top 3), and nothing about what I love about it is specific to the overseas release, so going out of my way to use that title just seems super unintuitive to me 🙂

Graphics Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Sumez said:

In that case I sincerely apologise. I really intentionally tried to use the least offensive word I could think of 😆

I hope no one here is taking this debate too seriously? 

I'd say Final Fantasy III if I'm for any reason addressing the North America exclusive release specifically, sure. It makes sense. 

But usually when talking about the game that's pretty irrelevant. It's one of my favourite games of all time (at least a top 3), and nothing about what I love about it is specific to the overseas release, so going out of my way to use that title just seems super unintuitive to me 🙂

It's all good - I misread the tone and thought you were much more legitimately frustrated.

If I've learned anything from this thread, it's that we're able to discuss and debate games just fine regardless of how we personally categorize them. That, and the fact that we're all petty gaming nerds with arbitrary preferences haha.

-CasualCart

9 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Yeah - I would only refer to it as Final Fantasy III when I'm talking about the North American SNES release. Basically, I use region-specific titles for whatever game I'm talking about. 99% of the time, it's the clearest way to reference games across regions (the exception being games like this with chronology issues haha).

-CasualCart

Agreed because let's be fair, revisionist history is for George Lucas and well that fat moogle you drew already.  If I'm talking the SNES games I'm going by what's on the sticker.  Square chose to short change the US 1/2 their releases until the back half of the 90s, that's not my fault.  I won't call FF3 on SNES FF6, ever.  If I speak of FF6 it will be Super Famicom, PS1, GBA FF6 Advance, or some of those mobile style modern conversions seen on iOS, Android or Steam....why?  Because they're titled so.  If that confuses some moogly neckbeard, tough shit.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1