IGNORED

My long lost NES collection

MiamiSlice

I just found this old photo I didn't even know I had of my original NES collection. This photo is from Dec. 2005. Most of the games were found via thrift shops and used game stores. All of the loose carts in this picture were stolen shortly after I took this picture. The thieves only left behind the small stack of boxed games for some reason, but those had been damaged in a flood some years prior so they were in bad shape. It makes me sad to look at this now 😞 I had some great games in there!

DSC00936.JPG

Edited by MiamiSlice
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Sad 5

its cool to see the pic. its a bit of selfish pride that comes with having an nes collection pre super fad. it remindes me when i was playing/collecting nes/snes around 2005-2008. 

i just started buying stuff (i was around 22 years old then), like you, when i saw it at salvation army, yard sales, so cheap.....those were the days. 

sad twist to stay on par. traded my original nes collection (prob 30 games) from child hood for a pair of cheap house speakers. wish i still had THOSE nintender tapes.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Well I meant kill the list of losses, but I mean if you want to...

lol. Just kidding. 

Maybe I'm weird, but the effort involved in re-acquiring the stuff I once had is really off-putting to me. Like I shouldn't have to do that, like it's not fair, so I don't want to do it. I'm happier collecting stuff I didn't have before instead. 

In the same way, because my SNES and N64 collections got trashed over the years, I let those go and I don't want to re-acquire all that. 

Edited by MiamiSlice
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, B.A. said:

You haven't re-acquired any of those games over the years? 

Hardly any. I reacquired RC Pro Am because it’s very sentimental, and To The Earth because I wanted to have all the zapper games. I also have the Mario Bros / Duck Hunt cart for the same reason.

But my current NES collection is very small. Some of the games in this pic I have on other systems, usually either on GBA or Switch. And of course I have every NES game in ROM form 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

lol. Just kidding. 

Maybe I'm weird, but the effort involved in re-acquiring the stuff I once had is really off-putting to me. Like I shouldn't have to do that, like it's not fair, so I don't want to do it. I'm happier collecting stuff I didn't have before instead.

I felt the same way.  While my home wasn't actually invaded by scumbags and cleaned out of stuff like that, losing ones job and the demoralizing slow ripping bandaid of having to pick, choose, and lose at a hell of a loss just to keep going for over a couple years isn't much better.  It's why I've been pretty specific largely of what I've picked back up outside of just weird deals/lots, and some stuff I just won't deal with it at at all.  It still stings a lot, and then the dumb prices going on 10 years (and really bad in the last 18mo) makes it all the more nasty.  So I get it, sucks and stings too much to bother, so you don't.  It's the reason for a stretch I was doing PC Engine stuff, and avoiding the TG16 stuff, prices are crap, people pre-virus were already hyper defensive and toxic, and it was just too much to tolerate, so I looked outside the box.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

Maybe I'm weird, but the effort involved in re-acquiring the stuff I once had is really off-putting to me.

The fact people probably did not get my reference makes me feel older than I really am. Because Love Story is about gaining the time and experience with somebody/something you love, with it being taken away both suddenly and tragically. 😅

Even then... I am sure there might be something in my life that helps you in some way. But even then, what you are feeling is one of those things that had me shave my collection down to Dragon Quest. With reasons tied to non-video game events. 😶

• Like 1