IGNORED

PSP collecting

I'd say the PSP market still has a long way to go in terms of values, sure! Sony systems are heating up, and portable systems traditionally lag behind the consoles, so there's definitely room for growth there.

Of course, if you are collecting solely for value you should keep stuff sealed, undoubtedly. However, I would have no qualms opening common stuff up to play myself, but then value is generally of little concern to me.

Hope this helps! 🙂

• Like 1

I've been collecting sealed PSP games for some while now and pricing seem to be all over the place. Yes there is a decent amount off "rare" games which are usually expensive but most games are available for low prices if you spend some time looking. I think prices will go up as people who were kids when the system came out (2005/2006) are now 15 years older and richer. I think the high piracy level of the system will only add to the value off the games in the future.  

For now i think only a few big name games or extremely limited games like Elminage PAL will have a high value in the future. Personally I dont see it ever getting to NES/SNES levels.

11 hours ago, Shmup said:

Don’t know about psp but that hasn’t stopped NES/SNES prices.

Any older cartridge based system is going to need additional hardware like a flash cart, etc. This alone is a barrier to entry for most people for a variety of reasons. PSP doesn't require that because the files are all digital

8 minutes ago, cma2032 said:

Any older cartridge based system is going to need additional hardware like a flash cart, etc. This alone is a barrier to entry for most people for a variety of reasons. PSP doesn't require that because the files are all digital

Collecting is a weird thing and "special case" systems are hard to predict.  I agree with you on the general nature of the media, but then I look at the Saturn.  It's niche and though some debate otherwise, disc rot can be a problem.  Old hardware can also be super-finnicky which is why people are starting to install drive replacements with flash disc readers or Satiators.

Regardless, for what the Saturn market is, it's exploded too.  Then there is the wildly obscure stuff.  Some of that can fetch a pretty penny, and some of it is completely ignored.

I have no clue what will happen with the PSP.  I'm sure the mini disc drives will start to fail in 10-20 years, so people will need to play games off of memory cards, which means handhelds will need to be modded.  I know modding is easy, but there is a pool of us out there that like to keep stuff as original as possible, and play original games as well.  This could be a turn off.

Regardless, as we are seeing with the Saturn, it's not stopping the collectability of the system.  They same could be true, and likely will be, for the PSP.  After all, it is Sony's first handheld and it's successor, the Vita was (and is) tremendously loved.  I could see some people wanting to dig into the "genesis" of Sony's handheld beginnings, plus I think it sold well enough to have plenty of nostalgia.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cma2032 said:

See RH’s post plus I’ll add that things like the Wii can be easily modded to play a range of systems and that hasn’t stopped retro games. 

I collect Vita and that is also easy to mod but I personally think that system is going to be hard to collect for in the future and in some ways already is a lot of games are already well over retail.