IGNORED

Gamegear cart works as pcb only, not in shell?

@Tulpa that was my thought.  Seems like an easy repair, regardless.  Is this an expensive game?  It looks like a Japanese/Euro release, and I don't really pay much attention to those.  Actually, I only casually pay attention to the US market as I'm working my way through it.  This one definitely doesn't look familiar to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RH said:

@Tulpa that was my thought.  Seems like an easy repair, regardless.  Is this an expensive game?  It looks like a Japanese/Euro release, and I don't really pay much attention to those.  Actually, I only casually pay attention to the US market as I'm working my way through it.  This one definitely doesn't look familiar to me.

It’s Japanese. Usually goes for 80 shipped. There’s a handful of Japanese GG games that I’m interested in

I'd make an offer at 50% their asking, make a point in the comments why you're offering half since it doesn't work when inside its own shell and you can't tell from the image is there's damage to it, the shell, or some other problem that may not be able to resolved so the risk is on you.

It sells working for around $70, maybe they'll see reason.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, phart010 said:

I just realized that I don’t know how to open a game gear cart.. if I pull it apart, will it break the shell?

Ok opening game gear carts seems to be destructive. I can see why you wouldn’t want to keep one with shell issues

No, I don't think it is.  I've done it but only once before.  I think you remove the screw and slide it in a certain direction like a GB cart, but I can't recall.  There might be clips that snap into holes versus sliding the top, but I think there was a way to lightly bend the cart case to get it to pop out without being destructive.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RH said:

No, I don't think it is.  I've done it but only once before.  I think you remove the screw and slide it in a certain direction like a GB cart, but I can't recall.  There might be clips that snap into holes versus sliding the top, but I think there was a way to lightly bend the cart case to get it to pop out without being destructive.

Apparently there’s more than kind of shell design. The one I was just messing around with was not a slider. You have to pry it open, but didn’t want to come apart. I was getting to the point of bending the plastic on mine, so just stopped

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

I know you can open some GG carts because I had to do that in order to create a shell for my GG Everdrive.  I don't remember which game I used as a donor shell, but I had no issues opening it with a normal security bit.  

I was just trying to open Power Rangers to see how the shell is designed to figure out how the game in the original post can be defective.

Power Rangers has a security bit. But when you remove it, the shell is still stuck closed. You can’t slide the two halves apart, the way the two halves are shaped make sliding impossible. And if you pull them, it doesn’t pop open either 😭

55394E30-B6A7-4F4D-A2FE-F1F1D10DB157.thumb.png.bf5eb9bf3fd1db243b536125f2a6a566.png

Edited by phart010

I had to go and open a cart to see for myself because it's been so long since I've done this.  Once you get the screw out, you just need to slide your finger nail down the side and it will pop off.  It does not slide off like a Game Boy cart.  There are super tiny tabs that need to be pushed in, and you finger nail or something super thin should be enough to do it.  

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Here is a pic of the super tiny tab.  

Again, at first it feels like you are stressing the plastic, but once you get your finger nail in there, it will pop off.

20210520_151154.jpg

Even sticking my fingernails in there and sliding/prying really hard it’s not opening my Power Rangers. I’m just hurting my fingernails. 

Im bummed out that Sega made them this way. It’s kind of affecting the impression that I had on Sega quality 😡

Game Gear cartridge tabs can break if you're not careful. The design is super annoying. I heard there is a model that slides open but I've yet to come across one. Maybe this is one of those things for the "video game false memories" thread?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

I had to go and open a cart to see for myself because it's been so long since I've done this.  Once you get the screw out, you just need to slide your finger nail down the side and it will pop off.  It does not slide off like a Game Boy cart.  There are super tiny tabs that need to be pushed in, and you finger nail or something super thin should be enough to do it.  

ifixit guitar picks are the shit for this. Used them last week to open a ps5 controller the X button was sticking on. Got it used on ebay for like 40 bucks and it was a simple fix to clean it out.

• Like 1

Dang it. I damaged my tabs. Probably pulling too hard before I realized the tabs were there. Oh well it’s just Power Rangers.

What I learned here is it’s better to use the corner of a plastic credit card. Location of the bottom tab is aligned with the bottom part of the label. Top tab is aligned with the ramp above the top part of the label. 

They should have put the tabs on the rear half of the shell instead of the front. That way you can replace with any other rear shell. If you accidentally bust a tab, it’s not as easy to replace the front shell with the label being on it

3D84A8AC-AD86-4C17-861C-8F261455A626.thumb.jpeg.693d5a563072f3e2f3243b325f7ccef4.jpeg

Edited by phart010
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

Even with the shell open for reference, I can’t imagine how the shell could be damaged in such a way that working pcb would not work when installed in the shell

Earlier I meant to say that I was thinking the same thing when I had mine apart.  The only thing I can think of would be something broken inside like a plastic tab, but that issue would probably go away and not repeat itself after removing and reinstalling the PCB back into the case.  As others have said, I would be very interested in getting my hands on the game and trying to replicate what the seller was claiming.  

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Dang it. I damaged my tabs. Probably pulling too hard before I realized the tabs were there. Oh well it’s just Power Rangers.

What I learned here is it’s better to use the corner of a plastic credit card. Location of the bottom tab is aligned with the bottom part of the label. Top tab is aligned with the ramp above the top part of the label. 

They should have put the tabs on the rear half of the shell instead of the front. That way you can replace with any other rear shell. If you accidentally bust a tab, it’s not as easy to replace the front shell with the label being on it

3D84A8AC-AD86-4C17-861C-8F261455A626.thumb.jpeg.693d5a563072f3e2f3243b325f7ccef4.jpeg

Super glue works good on that plastic if you didn't totally destroy them

• Like 1

4 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Super glue works good on that plastic if you didn't totally destroy them

It’s not totally destroyed, just white cracks in the tabs, but they’re still hanging on. If I pushed on them they might break loose though

The most likely explanation for the game not working inside the shell is dirt or corrosion on the cart pins. Outside the shell, you can probably force the PCB I'm further, avoiding dirt on the lower part of the pins, whereas with it on it will always connect at the same point, which may be dirty.

I reckon a good pin cleaning would probably do the trick. 😉

Also, when it comes to opening cartridges with tabs... FUCK Famicom carts! 😠 

• Like 1