IGNORED

Anyone else have a detolf??

just put together a detolf and let me just say... 🤬 but I guess that's the feel after any ikea item. 

anyway. I was wondering if anyone else feels like it's... really unstable?? it has a pretty big gap in the door on one side. love how it looks but doesn't seem stable! 

20210512_172559.thumb.jpg.e8e8be01af89d5a2c77136242e298c81.jpg

• Like 2

I find with a lot of shelving units, they tend to lean a bit when stood up.  That said, they also usually have some sort of bracket that you can screw into the top of the unit as well as the wall to enable it to be secured.  The gap in the door could be a matter of realigning it, but odds are it's normal.  I'd say just use those brackets to attach it to the wall and you'll be fine.

On an unrelated note, that display looks great!  I should think about using something like that for my Wizardry collection.  Are the shelves adjustable? Do they sell extras?  There's not much to fill the bottom with, but there's a ton of guide books and stuff, so I'd love to display them nicely!

4 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I find with a lot of shelving units, they tend to lean a bit when stood up.  That said, they also usually have some sort of bracket that you can screw into the top of the unit as well as the wall to enable it to be secured.  The gap in the door could be a matter of realigning it, but odds are it's normal.  I'd say just use those brackets to attach it to the wall and you'll be fine.

On an unrelated note, that display looks great!  I should think about using something like that for my Wizardry collection.  Are the shelves adjustable? Do they sell extras?  There's not much to fill the bottom with, but there's a ton of guide books and stuff, so I'd love to display them nicely!

yeah I'll definitely be securing it to the wall! 

the shelves are unfortunately not adjustable. there is supposed to be another shelf but mine got shattered because a single piece of cardboard hit the corner wrong and it shattered 🥲🥲 but you can't buy replacements as far as I know. only thing you could do is contact ikea and say you need extras because yours broke 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, kirbybirby said:

yeah I'll definitely be securing it to the wall! 

the shelves are unfortunately not adjustable. there is supposed to be another shelf but mine got shattered because a single piece of cardboard hit the corner wrong and it shattered 🥲🥲 but you can't buy replacements as far as I know. only thing you could do is contact ikea and say you need extras because yours broke 

Well that sucks.  At least your plushies fill the gap nicely, I never would've known one was missing.  I'm sure if you notify the store though, they'll hook you up.  They likely have some spare parts kicking around from other damaged units.

It doesn't sound like it'd suit my needs very well though, but that's okay.  I'm in no hurry right now, as I'm a year away from moving anyway.  Just looking to put things on my radar 😛

10 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Well that sucks.  At least your plushies fill the gap nicely, I never would've known one was missing.  I'm sure if you notify the store though, they'll hook you up.  They likely have some spare parts kicking around from other damaged units.

It doesn't sound like it'd suit my needs very well though, but that's okay.  I'm in no hurry right now, as I'm a year away from moving anyway.  Just looking to put things on my radar 😛

yeah I'm sure I can get a replacement but tbh I think the plushies fit better without the shelf 😁😁

ikea has a ton of other glass cases you should take a look if you've got one near you! 

I'm a big fan of IKEA for the convenience, value and general ease of use. Plus, I get tons of man-points from the Mrs. whenever the electric screwdriver comes out! 😉

However, when it comes to quality and reliability, you're never gonna get something PERFECT from IKEA, it's always something of a compromise I find, but one I'm willing to live with.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I have two and haven’t noticed any stability issues. Was everything 100% in? If so, use the wall brackets as suggested.

Check out the Milsbo, I have two of those as well and really like the look.

I must be one of the few people that loves putting IKEA furniture together.

it's all definitely in there correctly.. I took it apart 3 separate times because it wasn't fitting right 🥴🥴 

the milsbo is really nice but unfortunately wouldn't fit in the space I needed 

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

I'm a big fan of IKEA for the convenience, value and general ease of use. Plus, I get tons of man-points from the Mrs. whenever the electric screwdriver comes out! 😉

However, when it comes to quality and reliability, you're never gonna get something PERFECT from IKEA, it's always something of a compromise I find, but one I'm willing to live with.

I love ikea.. all our furniture is from ikea! but man.. that shit is ridiculous to put together. blood, sweat, and tears have gone into every single piece. 

• Like 1

I have 4 of them holding my 1984-1988 Transformers collection, they're great. There should be gaps on both sides of the door which means I have to spend hours dusting my collection every few months.

The shelving is not adjustable but I've seen instructions online for how you can use a C-bolt clamp to support shelves at different positions and make it adjustable.

You can also buy glass from any glass shop, they cut glass for lots of industries. We have used a company here in Calgary called Thermal Aluminum And Glass for the overlays on our touchscreen televisions and it's pretty cheap to get them to cut you some scrap glass.

Just now, Code Monkey said:

I have 4 of them holding my 1984-1988 Transformers collection, they're great. There should be gaps on both sides of the door which means I have to spend hours dusting my collection every few months.

The shelving is not adjustable but I've seen instructions online for how you can use a C-bolt clamp to support shelves at different positions and make it adjustable.

You can also buy glass from any glass shop, they cut glass for lots of industries. We have used a company here in Calgary called Thermal Aluminum And Glass for the overlays on our touchscreen televisions and it's pretty cheap to get them to cut you some scrap glass.

there's really only a gap on the side where the door opens. the other side isn't that big but oh well 🤷‍♀️ I am absolutely not taking that POS apart for a 4th time lol 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, kirbybirby said:

there's really only a gap on the side where the door opens. the other side isn't that big but oh well 🤷‍♀️ I am absolutely not taking that POS apart for a 4th time lol 

I have a lone Detolf to display figures and such (currently Godzilla & Back to the Future). I've (mostly) sealed up the gaps, and added lighting, cross bracing, and feet that make it look like its "floating"

What you have to do is buy self adhesive brush seal/self adhesive foam seal to close up those gaps, and you can add that with removing the door (at most).  After I finished the sealing it up the first time, I never had to dust it out.

Edited by Robot_Ninjutsu

1 minute ago, Robot_Ninjutsu said:

I have a lone Detolf to display figures and such (currently Godzilla & Back to the Future). I've (mostly) sealed up the gaps, and added lighting, cross bracing, and feet that make it look like its "floating"

What you have to do is buy self adhesive brush seal/self adhesive foam seal to close up those gaps, and you can add that with removing the door (at most).  After I finished the sealing it up the first time, I never had to dust it out.

This is what it looks like now (3rd Revision)Detolf3.thumb.jpg.aa6067a9f00432a86aa4f21553bfcb4f.jpg

the pic isn't loading for me! but I would still need to open the door would that still work? 

Just now, Robot_Ninjutsu said:

Yeah, pictures aren't uploading correctly for me for some reason.

Yes, the brush seal has "give" to it to allow you to open the door.  If you measure correctly, you can find seal that comes up to the edge of the door, and doesn't actually stop it from closing.

oh nice! I'll definitely look into that 

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, OptOut said:

Honestly, the Fredde computer desk from IKEA is incredible. I bought two, one each for myself and my wife. Our setups are pretty different, but the desk is quite versatile, and it's able to hold up a bunch of figures including a full sized First4Figures statue (Solid Snake) AND my rather heavy monitor (a 32:9 curved display). 

I'm usually not a big fan of Ikea but that specific desk is really hard to beat. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

Honestly, the Fredde computer desk from IKEA is incredible. I bought two, one each for myself and my wife. Our setups are pretty different, but the desk is quite versatile, and it's able to hold up a bunch of figures including a full sized First4Figures statue (Solid Snake) AND my rather heavy monitor (a 32:9 curved display). 

I'm usually not a big fan of Ikea but that specific desk is really hard to beat. 

that is very cool!! I'd get that if we had an actual game room haha. kind of hard in a 1 bedroom house 🤣

I've seen 3D printed "risers" that allow a small amount of adjustment to the placement of the shelves.  Then there are those C-clamps that allow you to move the shelves.

I've also seen small shelves that clamp onto the metal frame and allow the display of a single PopVinyl. 

For anyone thinking of a Detolf, I recommend doing some kind of cross bracing on the metal frame.  It allows the frame to stand up on it's own, and makes assembly *WAY* easier.  I'd still say have a second person to make sure the glass sides don't accidentally fall though.

For my Detolf, I used threaded rod (see the front edge of the shelf) cut to 14.5" and its pretty close to the diameter of the metal frame. I have one in front and back of each shelf, and they also double as mount points for my bar display lights.

Detolf3_2.thumb.jpg.aa4ce51650184580998fb6c41f430f5d.jpg

The only downside is that it's kind of a pain to tighten the nuts holding the threaded rod at each end.  There is space between the end of the rod and the glass side, its just very awkward.