IGNORED

Do you have a price scale or price cap for single items in your game collecting?

17 hours ago, OptOut said:

Wait, so you mean like you're pumping all your spare capital into video games? You should probably be saving a bit too, or investing or something, dude! Or am I reading this wrong?

Definitely reading it wrong.  I don't spend every spare dollar on my hobby.  But if I want something, my bank account (after living expenses) is the limit of what I can spend.  And now that I'm an uncle, that disposable income is much less, because I can't help but spoil those girls 😛

• Like 2

the most i've spent on a single game is like $250. i can't really imagine that there's a game that i want so badly that i'd break that anytime soon.  My original goal was to get all the games i wanted as a kid and complete my favorite series (i.e. i had Mega Man 3 and 6, so i needed 1, 2, 4, & 5). Sure, i'll never own a legit Samson, but i've accomplished what i set out for and SO MUCH MORE. 

a hard price cap doesn't really work though. if you have always had a $100 limit, what you can get now vs. 10 years ago vs. 20 years ago are astoundingly different. the market changes, your life and financial situations change, and you learn about things you never even knew existed but now have a lot of interest in. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

the most i've spent on a single game is like $250. i can't really imagine that there's a game that i want so badly that i'd break that anytime soon.  My original goal was to get all the games i wanted as a kid and complete my favorite series (i.e. i had Mega Man 3 and 6, so i needed 1, 2, 4, & 5). Sure, i'll never own a legit Samson, but i've accomplished what i set out for and SO MUCH MORE. 

a hard price cap doesn't really work though. if you have always had a $100 limit, what you can get now vs. 10 years ago vs. 20 years ago are astoundingly different. the market changes, your life and financial situations change, and you learn about things you never even knew existed but now have a lot of interest in. 

Maybe a bit contradictory to say "I'll never own a legit Samson" and "a hard price cap doesn't really work", of course it's on individual and situational basis but the modern prices are harder pill to swallow when you've lived through the way cheaper past prices. Also getting richer doesn't mean you should get rid of your money at a faster rate and getting poorer means you definitely won't prioritize video games out of all things. My limit is high but it keeps me humble and sure there are items that cost more than my cap but I rather spread the money out than get one 5 figure game. I've made peace with never getting specific really cool items, maybe even below my cap, but I'm open to breaking the cap if I see something that makes me go awooga. There are games I bought nearly 10 years ago that I wouldn't buy today that freely and I'd accept that I'm either being priced out or not interested to that extent - so many things I own have appreciated a lot, even when I already paid prices I considered quite high and that were usual market prices of the day.

On 4/22/2021 at 8:21 PM, CMR said:

My limit is $100 - $150 per game.  It also depends on the game and just how bad I really want it.  I will spend more on consoles and other gaming devices, however.

For some reason the 100 dollar line is really extreme for me on both sides. Under a hundy at 89.99 - practically free! Over a hundy at 114.99 - Im really going to take my time to consider such a purchase. This is really stupid, but its natural for whatever reason. When I started collecting, I didnt have much extra cash to spend, so I had to prioritize. 100 bucks was a commitment. Years later and different circumstances, that line has still stuck with me mentally. 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

For some reason the 100 dollar line is really extreme for me on both sides. Under a hundy at 89.99 - practically free! Over a hundy at 114.99 - Im really going to take my time to consider such a purchase. This is really stupid, but its natural for whatever reason. When I started collecting, I didnt have much extra cash to spend, so I had to prioritize. 100 bucks was a commitment. Years later and different circumstances, that line has still stuck with me mentally. 

I agree with you on the hundred dollar line.  It has to be something really special for me to break a hundred.  Sometimes I'll spend a lot more if it's more than one game, like my Dragon Warrior games I got as a bundle.  Most of the time, though, I try to keep my purchases below $70.

• Like 2