IGNORED

Is it a hobby, a full time job or an obsession?

GPX

Definitely a hobby for me. I pursue games very casually. I just set some ebay reminders and check every time I get a notification. Sometimes browsing here or YouTube I find more games to put on my radar. 

I'm not a full setter and I have a lot of games I already want. Most of the stuff I look for now is CIB games that I have cart only or want to upgrade the condition. Otherwise, I mostly buy games I want to play ... Or at least convince myself I want to play 😅

It's most definitely not a job for me. Over 90% of the things I put up on eBay aren't even games. Idk where you guys are getting enough video games to sell them on eBay lol 

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

of course *I* think it's a hobby, but anyone who sees how many Game Boy games I have, would probably disagree. But it's not like I buy another dozen games every day. Nowadays if I buy one game a week, that's an eventful week. This stuff builds over the years, it would be weird if it WASN'T a lot by now.

I've tried to keep my actual bank account far away from this stuff, just trying to use Paypal as much as possible. If I want to buy something, I have to sell something, etc. Unfortunately, I recently discovered Paypal Credit, and the conditions under which you can pay 0% interest, and suddenly those games that I'm "not crazy enough to go for," are starting to appear in my collection.

Send help, but not before I get those last few PAL exclusives.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

All three for me.

It is a hobby when the right situation is there. In my case that was 2017, while I did my hunts in both Akihabara and Nakano Broadway. That short amount of time I had also allowed me to do a lot as a Dragon Quest fan. And this year I hope to repeat it in a more controlled fashion.

It is also a job. Most of that is due to psychological burnout. But there are also moments where the issue is tied to those who make scummy graded anything collectors look good. In this case I am finally sending in games to be graded. So getting this done feels like a job.

And finally, an obsession. With a twist. In my case I want to have a collection I can pass down when that time comes. So while I treat grading like a job of sorts, I find myself obsessed with ideas like making my collection have some type of uniformity, etc. The "fun" stuff, of course.

Edited by FenrirZero
  • Like 1