IGNORED

Best place to learn about building MAME cabinet.

LeatherRebel5150

Wasn't sure where to ask this. I've kicked the idea around of building a mame cabinet for a long time but only briefly did a cursory look at it. Is there a "best" place to read up on this stuff. Stuff like best materials to use, which combo of controls to cover the most games, how to set up the software etc?

I'm also just about ready to start looking into this. Although, for simplicity sake, I'm thinking about buying an Arcade1Up cab and then swapping out the stock board for a RaspberryPi configured with MAME or some such. Still, I wanna do it right the first time, so I really need some good sources before I dig myself into a hole.

17 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

www.hyperspin-fe.com

I looked into hyperspin a little bit at your suggestion and it seems like that one hasn't been updated in a long time, at least based on some videos I watched on it. From what I saw Launchbox is similar in terms of looks but is continually worked on. Maybe better? I don't know

What about a place to learn about putting together a control panel and such. Anyone?

Probably won't fit your needs, but KLOV is the "goto" community for arcade collecting, repairing, and restoration.  However, the KLOV forums is more about grabbing the original games and cabs and restoring them to pristine condition, or to discuss repairs.  Still, there is SOME MAME talk on KLOV, albeit in the minority of the site.  

Either way, eventually, you may run into a situation where you need to repair something on your MAME set-up, and KLOV is a repository of knowledge when it comes to repairing arcades. Scans of arcade flyers, arcade board documentation, and other tidbits you can go on a deep dive on.  Also, some people in the KLOV community produce some excellent reproduction cab art as well for sale.   I go by the same username over there (and same avatar), so definitely consider stopping by!  🙂

ArcadeControls.com was a while ago. The website looks like Geocities so man I don’t know how long a while ago was.

My only advice is a cabinet with 3 buttons and joystick will usually look and play a lot better than these 40 button, flight stick, spinner, trackball, USB light gun monstrosities that try to play everything. You’ll be less overwhelmed by choice too if you focus on certain types of games.

Edited by DefaultGen

15 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

I want to end up building my own controls, but that is really tempting. If I decided to stick with the stule of games that only need sticks and trackballs and the cost of parts approaches the price of this setup, I may very well go for it.

13 hours ago, Sumer said:

Probably won't fit your needs, but KLOV is the "goto" community for arcade collecting, repairing, and restoration.  However, the KLOV forums is more about grabbing the original games and cabs and restoring them to pristine condition, or to discuss repairs.  Still, there is SOME MAME talk on KLOV, albeit in the minority of the site.  

Either way, eventually, you may run into a situation where you need to repair something on your MAME set-up, and KLOV is a repository of knowledge when it comes to repairing arcades. Scans of arcade flyers, arcade board documentation, and other tidbits you can go on a deep dive on.  Also, some people in the KLOV community produce some excellent reproduction cab art as well for sale.   I go by the same username over there (and same avatar), so definitely consider stopping by!  🙂

Ive loved lurking around on KlOV for many years but always assumed it was for more purist types so didnt think to look there. If I had more room Id be all over working on original cabs. But as it is I'll be struggling to find room for just one (ie my girlfriend is going to kill me)

13 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

ArcadeControls.com was a while ago. The website looks like Geocities so man I don’t know how long a while ago was.

My only advice is a cabinet with 3 buttons and joystick will usually look and play a lot better than these 40 button, flight stick, spinner, trackball, USB light gun monstrosities that try to play everything. You’ll be less overwhelmed by choice too if you focus on certain types of games.

Thats some good advice. I can see how feature creap would become an issue with this type of project. I dont even see a reason for how many buttons Ive seen on some projects. Isnt the most buttons a arcade used was like 6 or 8? Keep it to a two player setup and it would be ok. Then just throw a trackball in the middle...maybe a spinner above that...could maybe put a trackball right above that...son of a bitch its happening.

But seriously Im kinda debating with the stick @Code Monkeyposted or handmade setup close to it and maybe lightguns. I want to research the lightguns more as supposedly there has been a really good solution developed but I think theres more diy involved instead of just purchasing a gun and sensors.

13 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

https://www.arcade-projects.com/

🙂 this should do it

I agree with @DefaultGen though Capcom tended to use 6 and 4 with the Neo Geo so that is something to consider.

Thanks will check it out

I'd think about how much time and money you want to put it to the project before starting. Building a MAME cabinet from scratch is a lot of work and can be expensive depending on parts etc. Figure out what you want to use for a monitor and computer and then how big you want you cabinet (1 or 2 player, bartop vs standup etc, size of monitor).

I would also suggest getting the software setup and configured first before moving ahead with a full build. If you're using a PC you can set it up on your personal computer and then transfer it over to a lower end PC or buy a Pi and set up the basics. The buttons and monitor are more or less plug and play.

You can buy cheap button packs on eBay and amazon with a USB encoder (very easy to setup). I built mine with 16 buttons for 2 players (6 player buttons each, 2 coin buttons, 2 start buttons, then a 'back' and 'pause' button). The encoder just maps the buttons like a USB joystick. The buttons are pretty cheap but you can't really complain when it's $40-50 for a 2 joysticks, encoders, and 16 buttons. You can always replace these parts later for premium stuff. 

I would also recommend Launch Box/Big Box. It's super easy to use, there is a free demo/version, and the full version is cheap for a lifetime subscription. Again, very user friendly and easy to set up imo (you can download all the art and such from their servers). Other front ends like Hyperspin are good but I went with LB for mine.

If you do end up going for a full build, the cabinet will be the biggest cost/time consumption. You may want to look into gutting an old cab depending what's available in your area. If not, there are lots of tutorials online for specific builds - you can pick and choose what you like from other people's projects. As for materials, MDF is gonna give you good results but it is very heavy and creates a lot of dust when cutting.

If you have any more questions I can help out as best I can. Even though it was a challenge and not everything went quite to plan I had a lot of fun building my MAME and couldn't be happier with the results.

9 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I'd think about how much time and money you want to put it to the project before starting. Building a MAME cabinet from scratch is a lot of work and can be expensive depending on parts etc. Figure out what you want to use for a monitor and computer and then how big you want you cabinet (1 or 2 player, bartop vs standup etc, size of monitor).

I would also suggest getting the software setup and configured first before moving ahead with a full build. If you're using a PC you can set it up on your personal computer and then transfer it over to a lower end PC or buy a Pi and set up the basics. The buttons and monitor are more or less plug and play.

You can buy cheap button packs on eBay and amazon with a USB encoder (very easy to setup). I built mine with 16 buttons for 2 players (6 player buttons each, 2 coin buttons, 2 start buttons, then a 'back' and 'pause' button). The encoder just maps the buttons like a USB joystick. The buttons are pretty cheap but you can't really complain when it's $40-50 for a 2 joysticks, encoders, and 16 buttons. You can always replace these parts later for premium stuff. 

I would also recommend Launch Box/Big Box. It's super easy to use, there is a free demo/version, and the full version is cheap for a lifetime subscription. Again, very user friendly and easy to set up imo (you can download all the art and such from their servers). Other front ends like Hyperspin are good but I went with LB for mine.

If you do end up going for a full build, the cabinet will be the biggest cost/time consumption. You may want to look into gutting an old cab depending what's available in your area. If not, there are lots of tutorials online for specific builds - you can pick and choose what you like from other people's projects. As for materials, MDF is gonna give you good results but it is very heavy and creates a lot of dust when cutting.

If you have any more questions I can help out as best I can. Even though it was a challenge and not everything went quite to plan I had a lot of fun building my MAME and couldn't be happier with the results.

A lot of good info here. I didn't think to do the software first that's a really good idea as well as determining monitor. I don't mind doing my own building/woodworking it's actually the part I'm least concerned about. I was more intimated by how to setup the controls and interfacing them with a computer. I'm torn between doing a standalone cabinet and a pedestal type that I can just hook into an existing tv.

12 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

So I played with launchbox a bit today, in combination with retroarch. Im confused with MAME rom sets vs current MAME version and merged vs non merged sets, etc

Anyone have some insight into this stuff? 

I had an older version of MAME that worked well and just made sure I downloaded the corresponding ROM set. As long as the ROM set and MAME version are the same you shouldn't have any issues as far as I know. I believe I downloaded my ROMs from archive.org.

As for merged, non-merged, and split I would have to check what I have (I think it's split). From my understanding a merged ROM set combine all the needed files into one parent file (good for most users and less disk space). Split is the 'parent' file with all the revisions added separately. Non-merged is all the file listed individually and is typically not recommended for most users. The non-merged takes the most disc space while merged takes the least (not so much an issue this day and age I'd image). Here's an example I copied from LB forums for 1941:

A merged set will have 1 zip file containing the parent game data and all clone games data.  For example "1941.zip"  will contain 19 files & 3 folders. (MAME 0.201)

split sets and  non-merged sets will have the parent and clone game data in separate zip files.  i.e. 1941.zip, 1941j.zip, 1941r1.zip, 1941u.zip.  In this case "1941.zip" contains 19 files  and no folders.   Look inside "1941u.zip".  If it contains 19 files it part of a non-merged set .  If it only contains 4 (or 5?) files with a split set.

More info here:

https://docs.mamedev.org/usingmame/aboutromsets.html

This is why I also suggested getting your MAME and games up and running even before starting with LB. I can check when I get home on more specifics of my setup.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I had an older version of MAME that worked well and just made sure I downloaded the corresponding ROM set. As long as the ROM set and MAME version are the same you shouldn't have any issues as far as I know. I believe I downloaded my ROMs from archive.org.

As for merged, non-merged, and split I would have to check what I have (I think it's split). From my understanding a merged ROM set combine all the needed files into one parent file (good for most users and less disk space). Split is the 'parent' file with all the revisions added separately. Non-merged is all the file listed individually and is typically not recommended for most users. The non-merged takes the most disc space while merged takes the least (not so much an issue this day and age I'd image). Here's an example I copied from LB forums for 1941:

A merged set will have 1 zip file containing the parent game data and all clone games data.  For example "1941.zip"  will contain 19 files & 3 folders. (MAME 0.201)

split sets and  non-merged sets will have the parent and clone game data in separate zip files.  i.e. 1941.zip, 1941j.zip, 1941r1.zip, 1941u.zip.  In this case "1941.zip" contains 19 files  and no folders.   Look inside "1941u.zip".  If it contains 19 files it part of a non-merged set .  If it only contains 4 (or 5?) files with a split set.

More info here:

https://docs.mamedev.org/usingmame/aboutromsets.html

This is why I also suggested getting your MAME and games up and running even before starting with LB. I can check when I get home on more specifics of my setup.

awesome info, thanks