IGNORED

Huge explosion in downtown Nashville.

Kguillemette

This is kinda strange - but it explains why there were only three injuries and no deaths.

The report I just read (which is 30 minutes old) said that the police received a report of an RV parked on the street from which an (apparent) recording was being played that said there would be an explosion in 15 minutes.  The bomb squad was in the process of responding when the RV exploded.   One still has to take this with a grain of salt since this is still early on this story.  If true I wonder if members of the bomb squad were the people injured.  This is also kind of odd since terrorists (if that was this is) usually don't give a warning since they want to produce maximum casualties.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

This is kinda strange - but it explains why there were only three injuries and no deaths.

The report I just read (which is 30 minutes old) said that the police received a report of an RV parked on the street from which an (apparent) recording was being played that said there would be an explosion in 15 minutes.  The bomb squad was in the process of responding when the RV exploded.   One still has to take this with a grain of salt since this is still early on this story.  If true I wonder if members of the bomb squad were the people injured.  This is also kind of odd since terrorists (if that was this is) usually don't give a warning since they want to produce maximum casualties.

Huh. Yeah, that does seem very odd. Why even bother doing something like that if you're going to warn everyone what's about to happen ahead of time. Very strange, if true.

Just now, ZeldaFreak said:

Huh. Yeah, that does seem very odd. Why even bother doing something like that if you're going to warn everyone what's about to happen ahead of time. Very strange, if true.

As I said it is still early in the story so what is being reported is not necessarily accurate at this point.

If the story so far is basically correct the only thing that makes any sort of sense to me is that someone had a grudge against ATT (the RV was parked in front of one of their facilities) and wanted to damage  company property without hurting/killing anyone.  Which  would also explain why a holiday was chosen.

But it always difficult to try to fathom out why someone that is likely nuts does something.

• Like 1

This could be heard all over the surrounding area. I didn’t hear it, but it woke up my brother and his wife who live about 10 minutes from there. Other areas well past 30 minutes out could hear/feel the boom. Low sound waves travel far, so it’s not as odd as you might think.

Yeah, we’re all very confused here. Lots of speculation (and I won’t entertain the political speculations).

What we know:

The RV arrived on 2nd at 1:22 am. About 15 minutes before the explosion, it was broadcasting an evacuation message (linked above). Major damage to local businesses and living spaces. Police believe it to be intentional. Police received a call about the suspicious vehicle prior. Police were already on scene because of reports of shots fired, saw the suspicious vehicle and called the bomb squad. There was ammo in either the RV or one of the nearby cars, so there were sounds of gunfire after the explosion but these were the rounds burning out.

So, the only notable buildings around here are the Spaghetti Factory, the Melting Pot, some apartments/condos above businesses, and an AT&T comm building. Assuming no one has beef with the Spaghetti Factory, I’m assuming the AT&T comm was the target, if any target at all? It’s just so odd. Early Christmas morning with an announcement of the explosion before it happened. Almost seems like they just wanted property damage and not to harm anyone. If they wanted to harm people, Broadway is not far at all and is usually packed in the afternoons/evenings.

Some have speculated that if the ammo was in fact from the RV, that’s a scary thought as it could mean there were plans for a larger attack? But given that the RV was parked in the middle of the road since 1:22 am and then also broadcasted a message to evacuate, it seems like harm wasn’t the intent.

We likely won’t know anything for awhile. Just a scary thing to wake up to. I frequent that street often when I’m in the city proper.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, The Strangest said:

I wonder if there's any surveillance footage of somebody getting out of the RV after parking it. I mean, with so many cameras in the area, I'd think there would be, right? Sucks though, since if there is, it's possible the culprit was wearing a mask and they could've just walked down the street with it on and nobody would be none the wiser given the current state of things.

• Like 1