IGNORED

"Taste" of Cincinnati

FireHazard51

Social Team · Posted

Discord.jpg.453dd4f0a2ae9d35fedbd330501ef779.jpg

Spoiler

1511996334_Gripposistheway.jpg.a46e04b42d1d0a68a078e15b07f74c4c.jpg

Box of Grippo's BBQ chips....if that isn't a Cincinnati "thing" then I'll cheer for the Steeler's the next time they play the Bungals.  

So this Christmas season I've been sending out gifts that give a "taste" of Cincinnati to friends who are not familiar with my lovely city.  I was curious  as to what some of you other Cincinnatians thought would be good to share in future gifts.  We all know about Cincinnati Chili but I wanted to go deeper than Skyline and Greater's. 

Also I'm interested if hearing your stories of Cincinnati when you first came here (if you are not a native).  And how your experience has been with sharing aspects of Cincinnati with friends/family.

@Bearcat-Doug I know you are a local but unsure of others so maybe you could help get some people to chime in.

There are several variations of chili besides Skyline, UDF ice cream, any Cincinnati beer, Frisch's tarter sauce, Montgomery Inn BBQ, any Grippos or Husman's snacks, LaRosa's pizza, Pompilio's pasta, Goetta, Buskin cookies Izzy's Ruben and kosher dill pickles and this Cincinnati hot sauce gift basket from our local Pepper Palace would be a start.

https://pepperpalace.com/products/cincinnati-hot-sauce-gift-pack?_pos=4&_sid=dff250687&_ss=r

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

2 minutes ago, Soma said:

I was going to respond with some negativity toward Skyline chili being overrated (guess I just did oops), but I'll say instead that Cincinnati seems to have a cool character vibe.  Never been tho lol

I still maintain that you have to be from here to appreciate the chili. I've yet to meet anyone that isn't a native that likes it.

Social Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I still maintain that you have to be from here to appreciate the chili. I've yet to meet anyone that isn't a native that likes it.

Man, that is some bad odds.  I've had better rates of positive experiences but it's so hard when so many think the idea alone is disgusting so they already are against it before even tasting it.  But my significant other has had much greater success though she started them off with Skyline Dip.  

I figured the best Skyline being right off of UC campus would have a much higher acceptance rate of it being a wonderful dish.  No it isn't the best meal ever but it's a very enjoyable meal for sure.  

@Bearcat-Doug Pompilio's pasta, is that a restaurant or a dry pasta good you can buy?  I'm trying to come up with ideas that are easy to ship.  

12 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

Man, that is some bad odds.  I've had better rates of positive experiences but it's so hard when so many think the idea alone is disgusting so they already are against it before even tasting it.  But my significant other has had much greater success though she started them off with Skyline Dip.  

I figured the best Skyline being right off of UC campus would have a much higher acceptance rate of it being a wonderful dish.  No it isn't the best meal ever but it's a very enjoyable meal for sure.  

@Bearcat-Doug Pompilio's pasta, is that a restaurant or a dry pasta good you can buy?  I'm trying to come up with ideas that are easy to ship.  

They sell the sauce on their website so people can make their own.

https://pompilios.com/product/6-jars-of-pasta-sauce/

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I've never had "real" Skyline chili -- but based on past discussions on the forum, I did try reconstituting left-over spaghetti noodles from the refrigerator with a can of chili, diced onions, and shredded cheese -- and the results make for a decent lunch on a cold day.  We all liked it enough that it has become the preferred use for leftover spaghetti (since we usually portion the meatballs in a way that we don't end up with leftover meat from the original meal)

2 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

Man, that is some bad odds.  I've had better rates of positive experiences but it's so hard when so many think the idea alone is disgusting so they already are against it before even tasting it. 

I'm sure a lot of it stems from people hearing "chili" and expecting some form of typical chili con carne, and then finding out that it is basically a local version of spaghetti sauce 😛

Edited by arch_8ngel

They sell Skyline in cans around here; that's probably as close as you'll get to the restaurant version of it (the frozen isn't).

It took me a couple times to get used to it when I moved down that way but ended up loving it.   There's one near work up here that we hit sometimes, but man they really jacked the prices up on it.

5 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

I've never had "real" Skyline chili -- but based on past discussions on the forum, I did try reconstituting left-over spaghetti noodles from the refrigerator with a can of chili, diced onions, and shredded cheese -- and the results make for a decent lunch on a cold day.  We all liked it enough that it has become the preferred use for leftover spaghetti (since we usually portion the meatballs in a way that we don't end up with leftover meat from the original meal)

You'll need to put your chili in a blender with some cinnamon, clove, and a little bit of chocolate and you'll have something pretty close. 

my father was born and raised in marietta right on the river. 

ive been to cincinatti a number of times.

i saw the reds play in 92' they had chris sabo.

ive been to frisch's big boy a few times. the last time being the worst. 

my outlook of cincinatti is that its really old, run down and dirty.

4 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

....Marietta is on the other side of the state.   

And it would depend on where you went in Cincy.   Some parts are like that (well, pretty much every major city has parts like that) but I wouldn't give it that impression overall.

3 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

....Marietta is on the other side of the state.   

And it would depend on where you went in Cincy.   Some parts are like that (well, pretty much every major city has parts like that) but I wouldn't give it that impression overall.

yes marietta is south east near on the border od west viginia if i remember right.

i was only trying to give some background of my experience with ohio/cincinatti.

ive crossed the river there in cinicinatti coming into the state. maybe its juat that portion of the city. your right every city has those areas. 

i guess i got the feeling the buildings themselves were like 100 years old and it always seem dreary (rainy, wet, cold and no sun) in any part of ohio.

Social Team · Posted
1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

ive crossed the river there in cinicinatti coming into the state. maybe its juat that portion of the city. your right every city has those areas. 

i guess i got the feeling the buildings themselves were like 100 years old and it always seem dreary (rainy, wet, cold and no sun) in any part of ohio.

So takin' I-75 North it sounds like.  I'm totally going to call that the "west side" and we all know the east side is the best side 😈.  I-75 is just horrible in generally.  Also that's a really crappy part of down town you drive by.  The Banks has REALLY turned out well.  I can't believe how much the riverfront has changed. 

But honestly what I'm talking about you don't even need to be downtown to appreciate the food/beverage culture that is Cincinnati.  Hit up a UDF and get a milkshake the next time you need to get some gas on your little road trip.  Totally worth the extra cost to get a "Homemade ice cream" milkshake.  I love how big the Giant size milkshake is.  And while your wait for that milkshake to be made you can pick up some Grippo's BBQ chips or Busken's smiley face cookie to go with that shake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

You make it sound like being old, run down and dirty is a bad thing. That's why I like it!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

So takin' I-75 North it sounds like.  I'm totally going to call that the "west side" and we all know the east side is the best side 😈.  I-75 is just horrible in generally.  Also that's a really crappy part of down town you drive by.  The Banks has REALLY turned out well.  I can't believe how much the riverfront has changed. 

But honestly what I'm talking about you don't even need to be downtown to appreciate the food/beverage culture that is Cincinnati.  Hit up a UDF and get a milkshake the next time you need to get some gas on your little road trip.  Totally worth the extra cost to get a "Homemade ice cream" milkshake.  I love how big the Giant size milkshake is.  And while your wait for that milkshake to be made you can pick up some Grippo's BBQ chips or Busken's smiley face cookie to go with that shake.

Everyone knows that the west side is terrible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

You can get Skyline chili frozen or in cans, but it doesn't taste the same as what you get in the restaurant.

53 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

You can get Skyline chili frozen or in cans, but it doesn't taste the same as what you get in the restaurant.

If wonder if they have a sort of "perpetual stew" going in the original restaurant 😛 Get that classic flavor from all the previous batches ever cooked.