IGNORED

"Taste" of Cincinnati

FireHazard51

3 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

If wonder if they have a sort of "perpetual stew" going in the original restaurant 😛 Get that classic flavor from all the previous batches ever cooked.

Even the Skylines up here don't taste like the ones in Cincy, so there may be some truth to that.

5 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

If wonder if they have a sort of "perpetual stew" going in the original restaurant 😛 Get that classic flavor from all the previous batches ever cooked.

I don't know about the chain restaurants, but there was a local place that had been using the same pots since the 1950s. 

I was traveling cross country to play in some MTG tournaments some 15 years ago. After hitting up a tournament in Chicago, me and the group I was travelling with stopped for lunch at a diner in Toledo before heading north to Detroit. I ordered chili. I was really confused when there was a pile of spaghetti underneath it. I guess it was okay, not something I would ever seek out.

Turns out it's some crazy thing Ohioans can't get enough of. Maybe there are better versions than the one served at this little mom and pop diner in Toledo, but regardless, I consider myself fairly well travelled and have never seen chili served this way anywhere else!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

I was traveling cross country to play in some MTG tournaments some 15 years ago. After hitting up a tournament in Chicago, me and the group I was travelling with stopped for lunch at a diner in Toledo before heading north to Detroit. I ordered chili. I was really confused when there was a pile of spaghetti underneath it. I guess it was okay, not something I would ever seek out.

Turns out it's some crazy thing Ohioans can't get enough of. Maybe there are better versions than the one served at this little mom and pop diner in Toledo, but regardless, I consider myself fairly well travelled and have never seen chili served this way anywhere else!

Did you have any cheese coneys? Since they are basically the same as any other chili dog (except with Cincinnati style chili), people usually find those less confusing than the spaghetti variations.

Social Team · Posted
1 hour ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I think the clove is what puts most people off the first time they try it, especially if they're expecting an actual chili taste.

Chili is a bad name for what it is.  It's really a meat sauce that is heavy on the meat.  Meat sauce on spaghetti is nothing new.  Shredded cheddar cheese on a spaghetti with meat sauce sounds not so good.  Shredded cheddar on a chili sounds good thought.....I guess no matter what it's doom when you describe it to people.  Just ask them if they want a 3-way and watch them be disappointed when they find out its a food dish.

We are the birth place of Hustler magazine after all.  Cincinnati got a little kink in it.  And not the fancy Playboy stuff 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, The Count said:

I haven't had Skyline Chili yet, but after all I've heard I'd like to make it sometime. I see a lot of different recipes online.

I haven't tried these, but you can get it in microwavable pouches now.

https://www.cincinnatispecialties.com/StoreDetails.aspx/Skyline-Chili/Skyline-Chili-Microwave/

• Thanks 1

On 12/16/2020 at 1:29 PM, FireHazard51 said:

Discord.jpg.453dd4f0a2ae9d35fedbd330501ef779.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

1511996334_Gripposistheway.jpg.a46e04b42d1d0a68a078e15b07f74c4c.jpg

Box of Grippo's BBQ chips....if that isn't a Cincinnati "thing" then I'll cheer for the Steeler's the next time they play the Bungals.  

So this Christmas season I've been sending out gifts that give a "taste" of Cincinnati to friends who are not familiar with my lovely city.  I was curious  as to what some of you other Cincinnatians thought would be good to share in future gifts.  We all know about Cincinnati Chili but I wanted to go deeper than Skyline and Greater's. 

Also I'm interested if hearing your stories of Cincinnati when you first came here (if you are not a native).  And how your experience has been with sharing aspects of Cincinnati with friends/family.

@Bearcat-Doug I know you are a local but unsure of others so maybe you could help get some people to chime in.

This sounds like exactly what you're looking for. It's a bit expensive, but they also sell each of the items separately. 

https://www.cincyfavorites.com/513-meal-kits/all-combo-packs/i-love-cincy/

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

This sounds like exactly what you're looking for. It's a bit expensive, but they also sell each of the items separately. 

That gives me a great idea of what Cincy cuisine is like. Looks pretty good!

Social Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Didn't find that website yet.  That is a great package...thought hey need more skyline cheese.  I just wish it wasn't so costly to ship things things.  A friend joked it'd just be cheaper to get them a bus ticket and take them out to eat for the day.

2 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

Didn't find that website yet.  That is a great package...thought hey need more skyline cheese.  I just wish it wasn't so costly to ship things things.  A friend joked it'd just be cheaper to get them a bus ticket and take them out to eat for the day.

If taking them out to eat is an option, nothing beats the full experience!

• 2 weeks later...
Social Team · Posted

Grippo's turned out to be a big hit.  We'll see how the other things go.

That Greater's ice cream looks good but I know I can't have it with those cookies in it.  Pretty sure the white cookie frosting has the corn syrup it.  Small amount but I'm not risking it.  My tummy really doesn't like it when it gets corn syrup.  

• 3 years later...

Well, I apologize it’s taken THIS long, but after a bit of a rant (what, two werewolf games ago!) against @FireHazard51, he was super kind enough to send me a care package of Cincinnati foods.  He sent along a package of Skyline Chili and today was the day that I gave it a try.

IMG_1719.jpeg.ee1ac802655bf78bc485e81a5f577246.jpeg

I’ve never had Skyline Chili but it’s one of those things I’ve heard about, even before I met all of the Cinncinatians (is that correct?) around here that have raved about their local foods. From what I’ve heard, even by locals who are fans of the stuff, technically, this stuff is not “chili”, or what is fully called chili-con-carne.

I’m not really interested in debating that point, but I mention it because I wanted to give this stuff a fair shake, so I told myself this stuff wasn’t “chili” because that is one of my favorite, weekly meals. I didn’t want the comparison to color the experience.

I turned the package over to read the ingredients and though it didn’t sound exactly like chili but it was close enough that calling it either way doesn’t bother me.

I followed the instructions and heated the Skyline up in the bag.  In the mean time, we had some leftover rice my wife had made with a bit of chicken broth. I didn’t have any pasta, which I don’t eat anyway, so I figured I’d put it on the rice.  Hopefully, that’s not a faux pas.

After it was all heated, I poured the chili on the rice.  I wanted an unadulterated taste, so I tried it right away before mixing the rice in and… wow, this stuff is great!

I didn’t think it wouldn’t be but you never know these things until you try.  I mixed in the rice and since I enjoy making everything spicy, I added a few drops of Da Bomb hot sauce and perfection was achieved!

I have to say, it’s interesting in a good way and I struggle with how to describe it.  The tomato sauce isn’t as prounonced as, say, a hearty spaghetti sauce but it also doesn’t taste quite like chili either, but it is close. I can see why there are debates about it, as well as deep passions.  There’s also an ingredient in there that is either cinnamon, or similar, and it’s just enough to taste, but not enough to over power.

Rather than try to find something to compare it too, I’ll say it is its own thing.  The meat, sauce and seasonings are all balanced well enough that the whole dish comes together as one unit without being overpowered by something specific.  It’s definitely a very umami-centric dish and any sweetness is minimal, but just enough to brighten all of the savory flavors.

So yeah, I’m a fan of Skyline Chili!  I’ll leave the debate about what this stuff is, and what it should be called, to others.  In my book, this stuff is awesome. If I ever make my way up North to the area, I’ll definitely make a stop at Skyline to try it in a restaurant.  My only regret with the experience was that I didn’t have any cheese to try with it. Oh well, I had to substitute the cheese with next best thing.  My son and I both agreed it was the perfect pairing.

IMG_1720.jpeg.4c33de695b28157caf0fbb38f811a67f.jpeg

• Wow! 1
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Oh so you're insane - duly noted. 

Haha.  So, you a fan of Hot Ones?  I've found several of their interviews enjoyable, but I kind of hate how they present this hot sauce.  It's one of my favorites or, at least, one of my most used.

Da Bomb is not a sauce you use to make hot sauce.  I mean, you can add a few drops to your Buffalo Sauce if you want to kick it up, but if you want something for the flavor, this is not it.

Instead, I've found that it packs a really strong punch, with little flavor, when you add it to soups, stews or chilis.  So, if I have something and I want to add some heat without much additional flavor from the sauce, I reach for Da Bomb and add a drop or two.  My son likes it too.

But would I coat this on a hot wing and eat it.  Well,  I did it once just because but I'll never do that again.  Also, this is not the hottest hot sauce I've ever tried by a long shot.  Still, it's hotter than I enjoy on it's own.

15 minutes ago, The Count said:

This is on my list to try still. Do I buy the can or the bag?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/14308/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=skyline+chili&_sop=15

I can't speak for the can, obviously, but the bag was really good and better than I expected for a processed item.

@FireHazard51, if this stuff should have cheese, what do you recommend?  Is it basically a brick of cheddar, which I'd assume?  Less sharp or more mild? I could see it going either way.

Social Team · Posted
25 minutes ago, The Count said:

This is on my list to try still. Do I buy the can or the bag?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/14308/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=skyline+chili&_sop=15

https://www.amazon.com/Skyline-Chili-Spaghetti-Microwavable-Pouch/dp/B071VKTLY6/

I prefer the bag, cans are fine too.  I'm not a fan of the frozen version.  Also don't do the ones that have spaghetti with meat, just get the meat only versions.

5 minutes ago, RH said:

Haha.  So, you a fan of Hot Ones?  I've found several of their interviews enjoyable, but I kind of hate how they present this hot sauce.  It's one of my favorites or, at least, one of my most used.

Da Bomb is not a sauce you use to make hot sauce.  I mean, you can add a few drops to your Buffalo Sauce if you want to kick it up, but if you want something for the flavor, this is not it.

Instead, I've found that it packs a really strong punch, with little flavor, when you add it to soups, stews or chilis.  So, if I have something and I want to add some heat without much additional flavor from the sauce, I reach for Da Bomb and add a drop or two.  My son likes it too.

But would I coat this on a hot wing and eat it.  Well,  I did it once just because but I'll never do that again.  Also, this is not the hottest hot sauce I've ever tried by a long shot.  Still, it's hotter than I enjoy on it's own.

I can't speak for the can, obviously, but the bag was really good and better than I expected for a processed item.

@FireHazard51, if this stuff should have cheese, what do you recommend?  Is it basically a brick of cheddar, which I'd assume?  Less sharp or more mild? I could see it going either way.

0004172914366_0600.png

Mild cheddar but on the finest shredded level you can get.  It should be impossible to grab a single shred but instead it's a mass of cheese that is like 1/4 cheese and 3/4 air.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Administrator · Posted
4 hours ago, RH said:

I do like Hot Ones, but I'm speaking from experience. I've had it and my experience mirrors yours, it's really best as a heat enhancer.