IGNORED

Good Long box shelving? (Sega CD, Saturn, PS1 LB)

retro.magnus

Hi all! I've been working on focusing my collection and getting unpacked after a move. I have the Atlantic elite media shelf for everything else, but the long boxes don't really fit well on it. Does anyone have any suggestions with good shelving for long box games? I'd love shelving that fits the cases just right so there isn't a lot of space above the cases when they sit on the shelf. 

• 3 years later...

I buy the prepac media shelves on Amazon. You can customize the distance between each shelf so it makes it easy to fit different items

this is the triple width and they have a bunch of other options. I’ve got a quad 2 triples and a double and need another soon

https://www.amazon.com/Prepac-Triple-Width-Storage-Cabinet/dp/B001KW0BGU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=3LVCLBLRVTNI1&keywords=prepac+media&qid=1706558254&sprefix=prepac+me%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

I use Ikea BIlly for my Saturn and SegaCD sets and they work great, I have customized mine slightly as well to hold more by doing some additional drilling on the slats and inserts, plus Billy shelves are deeper than most so I can double-stack  longbox games to save space.  So cheap to buy as well, and Ikea is doing free shipping on orders over $299 right now I think.

6 minutes ago, xelement5x said:

I use Ikea BIlly for my Saturn and SegaCD sets and they work great, I have customized mine slightly as well to hold more by doing some additional drilling on the slats and inserts, plus Billy shelves are deeper than most so I can double-stack  longbox games to save space.  So cheap to buy as well, and Ikea is doing free shipping on orders over $299 right now I think.

I used to have Billy’s, I didn’t like how deep they were. They could hold a buttload of 360 and ps3 sized games though. I like to be able to see all the titles at once though instead of having things behind other things

• Like 1

Billy's are too deep for single stacking these games and doubled stacked Saturn games overhang around 1cm. They're fine for raw storage but I wouldn't use them as a fancy display. I have too many games though so of course I have them double stacked like that.

• Like 1

You can make some simple ones by using glass blocks for supports and white pine painted with a high gloss paint - blue like the sega cd cases would look nice.  So size is up to you.  (You may have to cut some spacers painted to match (or maybe a complementary color - they look better if you cut them so the smooth side is to the front) to put under the blocks since most glass blocks are 8" on the long side which is just shy of what you need.)

Edited by Tabonga

49 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I used to have Billy’s, I didn’t like how deep they were. They could hold a buttload of 360 and ps3 sized games though. I like to be able to see all the titles at once though instead of having things behind other things

I have seen people also put a spacer in the back of their longbox games in a Billy to make them sit closer to the front.  It feels like a bit of a waste, to me every bit of storage I can wrangle is a boon

26 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Billy's are too deep for single stacking these games and doubled stacked Saturn games overhang around 1cm. They're fine for raw storage but I wouldn't use them as a fancy display. I have too many games though so of course I have them double stacked like that.

I read this and I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with using the Billy shelves 😆

You're right, they overhang by a tiny amount when double-stacked, but unless you have doors on the Billy it doesn't really impact the look I think in terms of aesthetics. The only thing that would make better shelves would be something I could like open as a rack, archival bookshelves or something, but that's a huge commitment in terms money and installation.

Not related to long boxes, but Billy shelves do double-stack with no overhang for Genesis/SMS/GG games, and fit NES/SNES/N64 near perfectly on their side as well.  I'd say they are probably the best budget shelves out there.

1 hour ago, xelement5x said:

I have seen people also put a spacer in the back of their longbox games in a Billy to make them sit closer to the front.  It feels like a bit of a waste, to me every bit of storage I can wrangle is a boon

I don't have those types of shelves, but I've considered it.  My plan for the empty space behind the games was to store video game related stuff that I didn't care to have on display.  That way the space isn't wasted.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, The Count said:

Those look great. Did he 3D print them?

Yeah, 3D printed as far as I know.  I think Kytor is planning on releasing them for free and selling them as needed.  I have really been impressed with the stuff he's put together.  

He even had a follow up tweet showing like a bunch of loose carts using them!

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 2:54 PM, TDIRunner said:

I don't have those types of shelves, but I've considered it.  My plan for the empty space behind the games was to store video game related stuff that I didn't care to have on display.  That way the space isn't wasted.  

Gotta agree here. A deep shelf that you just lose depth with spacers = wasted space. I'm on a narrow (even more than usual) city lot so I try to make efficient use of everything.

8 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

I’ve got some shitty Walmart shelves that are the perfect depth and they’re adjustable unfortunately there’s a fixed shelf right in the middle of it so you always end up with this short little row in the middle.

Needed for stability, once you get much more than 6 feet tall. I build my own so I can easily go up to the ceiling and I always use that.

8 hours ago, Link said:

Gotta agree here. A deep shelf that you just lose depth with spacers = wasted space. I'm on a narrow (even more than usual) city lot so I try to make efficient use of everything.

Needed for stability, once you get much more than 6 feet tall. I build my own so I can easily go up to the ceiling and I always use that.

Lol yeah I could see that but in this particular instance they’re about 5 feet tall and actually they’ve held up pretty well for being a decade old and getting moved around a lot.  You end up with a fucked up row on the bottom too that I always actually kind of liked as a just in case because they were in the basement.

• Like 1