IGNORED

Neo Geo MVSX Coming in October

TDIRunner

Obviously, my first thought is that I can't help but think about the Neo Geo X.   However, this still looks pretty awesome and the game lineup and pretty great.  If they can actually deliver on a quality product, I would be very interested.  But because there is so much that could go wrong, I definitely wouldn't consider a pre-order.  I need to see one in person first.  

http://www.snkmvsx.com/index.html

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

These type of releases get me excited for the controllers that come out for other uses.  I could really use some sort of arcade stick for MiSTer.

This looks perfect for those that love arcade1up.  Lots of games too.  It is too fighter heavy for me though.  I would have liked to see other titles like Bust A Move and Windjammers.  Glad to see a riser as well.

Just now, CasualCart said:

This would be the greatest thing ever if it had Neo Turf Masters and Blazing Star/ Pulstar. But as usual, it's mostly just a fighting-game lineup. Bummer.

-CasualCart

Wtf, I just skimmed the list of games and assumed it was on there. Weird. One of the best NG games, certainly for those of us who don't care about having 40 different fighting games.

I agree that it has way more fighters than I would be interested in.  But I never get old of Metal Slug, no matter now many ways I have to play it already.  Still, assuming that it delivers on overall quality, it actually seems like a better value than the Arcade 1Up machines, and I've been a huge supporter of those.  

Considering that the Neo Geo Mini is actually better on the mini cab both in the control feel and the video output, I have decent expectations for this. I enjoy Neo Geo fighters they're just old school hard. However, if this thing can get soft modded it would be sweet since it's so good looking.

I'm going to put this out there as someone I think you know as someone who is a pretty dedicated SNK Neo Geo fan given the hardware and other I have, I find this system currently as priced and with what's offered somewhere between insulting and repulsive.  It's like a more poorly thought out Arcade 1UP that dry humped the the Neo Geo Mini, and scraped off much the good and came back with as many rough poorly thought out edges as possible.

Cheap quality looking build design, aped the riser option too.  Seems to look like the launch quailty A1UP devices with its shortcomings right there on display, so hopefully the after market steps up with the quality fixes including a lit marquee.  But in the end, you can kid glove the light cabinet design, but sticking to a strictly out of the box end user who can't, won't, or have no idea how to mod the hell out of it, the game library is fairly god awful crap...unless you're clearly and damn near exclusively only in love with the KOF and friends (FF branches) fighting games, then even more fighting games, and more fighting games yet, then the MS series, and a weak minimalist sprinkling of other genre titles.

Why?!  Seriously.  What's left there you have three of the worst sports games on the system, Magician Lord(good), all 3 Sengoku (also good), Shock Troopers 1(nice), and a soccer(football) game.  10 out of 40 that aren't fighting and metal slug.  What about Neo Turf Masters?  League Bowling?  Another side scrolling brawler like Robo Army or Mutation Nation? How about ANY SHOOTERS at all like Blazing Star?!  Puzzle game, at least one maybe?  There's plenty the NG Mini had between regions to have a solid selection of options.

You'd be better off remaking one of the A1UP cabinets in big red MVS wrap, modding a NGM board for its games into it, and using that for a lower price no less!

At this rate, I wouldn't take it at half the price.  I've been watching some Hell's Kitchen lately, and I'll word this as Chef Ramsey in how I feel.

It's bland!  it's watered down!  That is uninspired.  You (Unico), you (SNK), bugger off!  Get out!  OUT!

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

What about Neo Turf Masters? 

Augusta National Golf Club objected to the name, as they own the "Masters" trademark. That's why the Hamster port of Neo Turf Masters on the Switch was patched to use the Japanese arcade title.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-the-heck-is-going-on-with-neo-turf-masters.135837/#post-23730420

I guess they didn't want to put in the time/effort patching the english rom to update the arcade title.

Edited by Teh_Lurv
  • Sad 1

I don't think this will do good with that game selection, any version of the Neo Geo Minis has much better game selection, seems like they were trying to get to 50 titles with the least amount of franchises possible (34/50 in just 5 franchises and 4 of those are fighters), there are good games there but not even a single SHMUP which is borderline insulting, no puzzle games, sport games nobody wants to play (maybe Baseball Stars but that's it), and they're asking $499.99, that's a tough sell.

7 hours ago, Teh_Lurv said:

I guess they didn't want to put in the time/effort patching the english rom to update the arcade title.

Two things:

Top Player's Golf is not Big Tournament Golf. 🙂 Neo Turf Masters isn't on this thing for some reason, even though the license shouldn't be a problem.

They'd have to patch the ROM anyway, as English and Japanese versions are on the same ROM for every Neo Geo game, I think Samurai Shodown V Special is the only exception?

21 hours ago, Sumez said:

Two things:

Top Player's Golf is not Big Tournament Golf. 🙂 Neo Turf Masters isn't on this thing for some reason, even though the license shouldn't be a problem.

They'd have to patch the ROM anyway, as English and Japanese versions are on the same ROM for every Neo Geo game, I think Samurai Shodown V Special is the only exception?

Did you skim over my post? Because I never said Top Player's Golf was Big Tournament Golf and I provided the most likely reason why Neo Turf Masters isn't included on this mini-cab.

I'd dare say it's a given instead of most likely.  Sue happy twits, despite the game never had a problem from them in the past, even recent past with the mobile releases.  SNK was just lazy not using the JP name on the game and just using it as Top Player's Golf is pretty bad, not a bad game, just comes off bad after you've ever touched NTM even once.