IGNORED

Movie Debate #20: Children of Men

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

15 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but I'm interested
    • Never seen it, never will

3 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

.It is very strange - the reappearance of the V-8 interceptor is problematic since it pretty much mandates that Fury Road doesn't fit in the timeline/universe of the first three films (since it is destroyed in both the Road Warrior and Fury Road.)

Actually, I've read a lot of stuff that supports that Max was using what was left of the last of the V8 Interceptors as his "wagon" at the beginning of Thunderdome.  If that's the case, it would have been reconditioned into something in Auntie Entity's fleet and potentially stolen back from there or further down the line.  I clued into that as a kid later on, when the alarm system gets triggered and yet Max, of all people, specifically knows how to disarm it, which, why would he unless it's his car?  This is further supported here, toward the bottom under the Thunderdome header.

Reading more on the page I just linked to, it appears that that's exactly what Miller intended (perhaps after the fact), as there's a comic that gives details of Max getting his hands on a replacement engine to rebuild the Interceptor, which is then promptly stolen at the beginning of Fury Road.

12 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

.It is very strange - the reappearance of the V-8 interceptor is problematic since it pretty much mandates that Fury Road doesn't fit in the timeline/universe of the first three films (since it is destroyed in both the Road Warrior and Fury Road.)

It is kind of a remake of the Road Warrior since they both involve a chase/battle with a semi and a warlord.  (Tenuous I will admit.) 

But it makes no sense whatsoever either way  - at one point I think Miller said he did not intend to do another Mad Max but that things had just worked out that way.  

It is more of a re-imagining, in that Miller was given effectively unlimited money (compared to his previous film budgets) and made the movie he'd always wanted...

19 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Actually, I've read a lot of stuff that supports that Max was using what was left of the last of the V8 Interceptors as his "wagon" at the beginning of Thunderdome.  If that's the case, it would have been reconditioned into something in Auntie Entity's fleet and potentially stolen back from there or further down the line.  I clued into that as a kid later on, when the alarm system gets triggered and yet Max, of all people, specifically knows how to disarm it, which, why would he unless it's his car?  This is further supported here, toward the bottom under the Thunderdome header.

I don't know how anything useable could have survived the explosion of all that juice in the Road Warrior.  The impression is that Max took off in the weird bullet car that Papagallo died in since it is barely visible in the closing shots of the Road Warrior.

In any event the one he had in the Road Warrior was the last of the V-8 interceptors (how the mechanic knew that  is unknown) -so presumably the others (likely a very small number) were long gone.  

Since we  know Max knew enough about the electronics to hook up the booby trap (he is shown reinstalling it in the Road Warrior after all) it is not unreasonable to assume he could install another one sometime after acquiring what he had at the start of Thunderdome,  

Edited by Tabonga