IGNORED

31-Day Video Game Music Challenge - June 2020

AverageOliver98

52 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Yeah, that's why I just included some of my favorite artists and just a couple examples of some of my favorite covers they've done, if I included every single cover I liked from them, I'd probably have a list longer than everyone else's combined 😛

Oh believe me, mine would be just as long (I just checked my library which I take only the songs I like, and I have over 300 VGM covers). I just didn't do as good of a job at curating as you. For people who don't want to listen to all of them I roughly put my favorite from each artist first, so start by listening to the first and then you can continue if you like it.

• Like 2

^^Lol I love it!

Finally got caught up. Have been helping my stepmom with my dad and getting used to this schedule.

I'm definitely down for another month of this or a continuing thread about video game music in general. One of my niche loves that I seldom get to share with others.

• Like 4

1215414649_Day30Bump.thumb.png.f70b7c3f3306a9344ecbac605853e61b.png

And today marks the end of the 30-Day Video Game Music Challenge... sort of. In case you missed it, a Day 31 has been added, which is:  Create a New List(on a separate post) made up of entries from the other participants' lists. The only rule will be that if you have a track/song on your original list that appears on someone else's original list, you won't be able to put it on your new list. (Also, any people who may not have participated over the past month, don't be afraid to make a list too. Let us know if you found any new favorite songs.)

And following Day 31, it'll be time to start planning for 30-Day Video Game Music Challenge #2, coming this fall.

• Like 4

Events Team · Posted
17 minutes ago, AverageOliver98 said:

1215414649_Day30Bump.thumb.png.f70b7c3f3306a9344ecbac605853e61b.png

And today marks the end of the 30-Day Video Game Music Challenge... sort of. In case you missed it, a Day 31 has been added, which is:  Create a New List(on a separate post) made up of entries from the other participants' lists. The only rule will be that if you have a track/song on your original list that appears on someone else's original list, you won't be able to put it on your new list. (Also, any people who may not have participated over the past month, don't be afraid to make a list too. Let us know if you found any new favorite songs.)

And following Day 31, it'll be time to start planning for 30-Day Video Game Music Challenge #2, coming this fall.

Thanks again for putting this all together, this has been super fun, and I'm very excited that this is going to become a regular thing here on VGS 🙂 Looking forward to working on my day-31 list.

• Like 2

Here's my Day 31 list. Really fun incentive to go check out everybody else's lists! Lots of really great submissions.

Title music (0xDEAFC0DE): Mega Man 3 - Title Theme
Opening Level (ZeldaFreak): Castlevania III - Beginning
8-bit (fox): Journey to Silius - Stage Theme 02 (this is probably my favourite NES tune of all time)
Console exclusive (fox): God of War - Valkyries
Hub/Overworld (AverageOliver98): Chrono Cross - On the Beach of Dreams
Relaxing (ookii_risu): Final Fantasy VI - Kids Run Through the City
Indie (okii_risu): Bloodstained - Gears of Fortune 
Shooter (rdrunner): Gradius III - Fortress Stage
Licensed (0xDEAFC0DE): Batman - Stage 1
RPG battle (0xDEAFC0DE): Deltarune - Rude Buster
Puzzle Game (ZeldaFreak): Puyo Puyo - Final of Puyo Puyo
Sad (Aguy): Mother - Mother Earth
Dislike (AverageOliver98): Ikaruga - Butsutekkai
Vocals (okii_risu): Final Fantasy 9 - Melodies of Life  (want to see me cry? just put on this video while I'm in the room)
Boss (ZeldaFreak): Shadow of the Colossus - The Opened Way
16-bit (ZeldaFreak): Dracula XX - Bloodlines
Never Tiring (AverageOliver98): Thunder Force IV - Metal Squad
Game over (Aguy): Total Distortion - You Are Dead (just wow)
Cover version (AverageOliver98): Devil Engine - Cosmo Babylon
Racing (0xDEAFC0DE): Mario Kart 8 - Dolphin Shoals
Frustration (AverageOliver98): Mega Man 11 - Torch Man
Town/Village (AverageOliver98): Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Rito Village
Underrated (Aguy) Action Man: Search for Base X - Cutscene #3
Stuck in Head (AverageOliver98): Thunder Force III - Hunger Made Them Desperate
Pumped (rdrunner): DuckTales Remastered - Mount Vesuvius
Never played Game (nesmaster14): The Scheme - Thousand Eyes (I love this game's entire soundtrack, was happy to see it mentioned)
Handheld: (Aguy): Kirby's Dreamland - Green Greens
Nostalgic (Aguy): Street Fighter II - Title Theme
Final Boss (AverageOliver98): Octopath Traveler - Battle at Journey's End (for all the love this game does get, I still think the soundtrack is incredibly underrated)
Credits Music (nesmaster14): Crisis Force - Ending

• Like 5

This was a lot of fun, thanks again AverageOliver98 for organizing this.  It was really cool sharing game music and listening to others! 

I may have slightly misinterpreted Day 31, but here's my Day 31 List ☺️:

VGS VGM Challenge 
-NESMASTER14- 
Selections From Other Users' Lists

AverageOliver98 -
Katamari Damacy - Que Sera Sera - Swanky tune! I love the juxtaposition.
Parasol Stars - "Boss" - Game Boy - Nice one, Game Boy really has some underrated gems as far as music goes.
Spin Jam - Ingame Music 2

0xDEAFC0DE -
Super Mario Sunshine - Ricco harbor - Nice tune, another great song I've never heard.  
Ghouls 'n' Ghosts - Title Theme - Such a cool C64 song, and creative use of the SID chip.
JAGMO - Megaman 2 & 3 Suite

Aguy -
Endless Ocean: Blue World - Island of Inisfree - Wow, that song really goes all-in, nearly shed a tear.  Nice one!
Revenge of Shinobi - The Shinobi
Total Distortion - You Are Dead - Hilarious! I need to check this game out, lol.

ZeldaFreak - 
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - The Legendary Hero - I'm missing out on a great game/soundtrack, I need to play Wind Waker sometime.
Castlevania Dracula X - Stage 1 Bloodlines
Gooseworx - Metal Crusher (Undertale Cover) - Cool cover and I still need to check out Undertale.

ookii_risu -
Phantasy Star 2 - Rise or Fall - Genesis had such a distinct and iconic sound, nice track and I agree the Genesis soundchip is still underrated!
Warsong - Player Phase 1 - Nice one!
Jackal - Stage 3/6

Sumez - 
Super Fantasy Zone - Boss Music - Genesis \^^/, what more to say. 🙂
Gun Frontier - In The Sky - Nice music and gameplay looks solid.  I read the programmer of Recca considers it one of his favorites, I'll have to check this out! 
Yoshi's Island - Underground Stages

rdrunner - 
Tail of Beta Lyrae Intro - That's a really cool intro and song, especially for the humble Atari 8-bit computer!  My dad had an Atari 800 in high school, which was sent to me recently from storage. I'll have to find a floppy for this game and check it out 🙂
The Lost Vikings - Factory - Groovy!  Nice one
Guild Wars 2, Fear Not This Night

AstralSoul64 -
Golden Sun - Sol Sanctum - Cool track, I need to check this series out sometime.
Pilotwings - Flight Club
Wave Race 64 - Title Screen - Nice one, I have fond memories playing this at my cousins' house.

• Like 3

My Day 31 List(Selections from Other Participants)

Day 1(Title Screen) - Mega Man 3, Title Screen - 0xDEAFC0DE

Day 2(Opening Level) - Ibara, Showtime - Sumez

Day 3(8-Bit) - Supremacy - nesmaster14

Day 4(Console Exclusive) - Okami, Reset(Thank You) - 0xDEAFC0DE

Day 5(Hub/Over World) - Final Fantasy IV(DS), Overworld - ookii_risu

Day 6(Relaxing) - Deltarune, You Can Always Come Home - ZeldaFreak

Day 7(Indie) - Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Gears of Fortune - ookii_risu

Day 8(Shooter) - Goldeneye 007, Facility - fox

Day 9(Licensed) - Smurf's Nightmare, Bottomless Well - Aguy

Day 10(RPG Battle) - Etrian Odyssey III, Hoist the Sword with Pride in the Heart - Sumez

Day 11(Puzzle) - The Lost Vikings, Factory - rdrunner

Day 12(Sad) - Mother, Mother Earth - Aguy

Day 13(Game You Dislike) - Mega Man X5, X vs Zero - Sumez

Day 14(Vocal) - Double Dragon Neon, Credits - rdrunner

Day 15(Boss Battle) - Super Fantasy Zone, Boss - Sumez

Day 16(16-Bit) - Final Fantasy VI, Terra's Theme - 0xDEAFC0DE

Day 17(Never Tiring) - Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Scorch 'n' Torch - Sumez

Day 18(Game Over) - Total Distortion, You Are Dead - Aguy

Day 19(Remix, Arranged, Cover) - Guild Wars 2, Fear Not This Night(Embrace the Night) - rdrunner

Day 20(Racing) - Mario Kart 8, N64 Rainbow Road - ZeldaFreak

Day 21(Frustration) - Mario Kart Double Dash, Baby Park - rdrunner

Day 22(Town/Village) - Nier, City of Commerce - Sumez

Day 23(Underrated) - Gun Frontier, In The Sky - Sumez

Day 24(Stuck in Head) - Parasol Stars, Main Theme - Sumez

Day 25(Pumped) - Ducktales Remastered, Mount Vesuvius - rdrunner

Day 26(You Never Played) - Stubbs the Zombie, Strangers in the Night - AstralSoul64

Day 27(Handheld) - Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney, Investigation ~ Cornered - rdrunner

Day 28(Nostalgic) - Sonic 3&K, Endless Mine - nesmaster14

Day 29(Final Boss) - Bravely Default, Serpent Eats the Earth - Aguy

Day 30(Credits) - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Staff Roll - ZeldaFreak

Also, be on the lookout in the coming hours (or days) for a post on the 31 Day VGM Challenge II. I've got about 10-11 new ideas but I'll need about 9-14 more. 

Edited by AverageOliver98
  • Like 4

Events Team · Posted

OK, I think I'm FINALLY done with this after a few hours of going through everyone's lists... glad I finally got the chance to look back at all those songs. Took me forever to put this together, and I had a really tough time picking between 2 or 3 different songs on some days, but I got there in the end. Thanks again to @AverageOliver98 for putting this all together, this has been incredibly fun, and I look forward to the future VGM Challenges 🙂

Anyway, with that said

Day 31 List: My personal favorites from other people's lists

------------------------------------------------------------

Day 1: (Title Screen) | (fox) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Title Theme
Of course.

Day 2: (Opening Level) | (Sumez) Ibara - Show Time
I've never heard of this game before, but got damn this track is really good.

Day 3: (8-bit) | (Aguy) DuckTales - Moon Theme
I used the remastered version in my list, not the original, so technically this is allowed. 😛

Day 4: (Console Exclusive) | (AstralSoul64) LittleBigPlanet - Volver A Comenzar
This day in particular was excruciating, everyone's picks for this day were great, but I mean... c'mon, it's a LBP song, one of the games I'm most nostalgic for. I just couldn't resist.

Day 5: (Overworld) | (0xDEAFC0DE) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) - Overworld
How could I not?

Day 6: (Relaxed) | (fox) Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - Stickerbrush Symphony
This day was a pretty easy pick for me. 😛

Day 7: (Indie) | (ookii_risu) Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Gears of Fortune
Another pretty easy pick for me. The soundtrack to Ritual of the Night is an absolute masterpiece.

Day 8: (Shooter) | (Aguy) Metroid - Prologue
I'd hesitate to classify Metroid as a "shooter," but hey, if it counts, then this'll be my pick.

Day 9: (Licensed) | (Sumez) Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa - Stage 7
I would've picked fox's pick of Moon Lullaby, however I'm pretty sure that just straight up doesn't count as that lullaby isn't even originally from a video game, so I'll go with this instead. Never heard most of Michiru Yamane's older stuff, so this is pretty cool to hear.

Day 10: (RPG Battle) | (Aguy) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragon Battle
I very nearly picked 0xDEAFC0DE's pick of Rude Buster from Deltarune, however there aren't many soundtracks in existence that can top the soundtrack to an Elder Scrolls game.

Day 11: (Puzzle Game) | (Aguy) Lumines: Puzzle Fusion - SHININ'
Never heard of this game before either, but this song is just such a good time to listen to.

Day 12: (Sad) | (fox) The Last of Us - Vanishing Grace
I tried to pick the song that made me the saddest out of the options for this day, having not played most of these games, and I think this one did it. Really somber. Kind of reminds me of a Stardew Valley track, strangely.

Day 13: (Game I Dislike) | (AstralSoul64) Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Bloody Tears
Absolutely classic CV track despite the reputation this game has. Sumez's pick of the X vs Zero theme was a VERY close second though. That track is amazing too.

Day 14: (Vocals) | (Sumez) Ico - You Were There
Yet another game I've never played, but this song is absolutely beautiful. Really makes me want to play it.

Day 15: (Boss Battle) | (rdrunner) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade - Boss Battle
Not much to say about this one, just a really kick-ass boss theme.

Day 16: (16-bit) | (AverageOliver98) Mega Man X2 - Crystal Snail
Can't go wrong with the Mega Man X games, they always seem to have fantastic soundtracks.

Day 17: (Never Tired Of) | (Sumez) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Scorch 'n' Torch
It was a really, really tough decision deciding between this and Kass' Theme, but god damn this song is just so amazing, I had to pick it.

Day 18: (Game Over) | (Aguy) Total Distortion - You Are Dead
OK listen, I really wanted to pick Determination from Undertale, as that's probably my favorite game over theme of all time... but I mean, come the fuck on, how in god's name could I not pick this one?! This is the obvious winner of this day, and I'm gonna be very upset if this song isn't every single person's choice. Anyone who doesn't pick this for their favorite of this day is WRONG! 😆

Day 19: (Cover) | (AverageOliver98) Hyper Duel - Cosmo Babylon Rearrange | (Original by Hyakutaro Tsukumo)
Never heard of this game nor the rearranger before, but god damn this song goes hard.

Day 20: (Racing) | (AverageOliver98) Mario Kart 8 - Big Blue
Another easy pick for me. This one was in the running as one of my potential picks for this day. One of the best songs in an already amazing soundtrack.

Day 21: (Frustration) | (rdrunner) Mario Kart: Double Dash!! - Baby Park
Similar to the sad day, I tried to pick a song that made me the most frustrated just listening to the song itself, and this one is definitely it. I don't mind Baby Park as a track, but this song definitely drives me up the wall.

Day 22: (Village) | (AverageOliver98) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Rito Village (Day)
Considering the fact that this was going to be my original pick for this day before Oliver used it, I pretty much have to pick this one. Absolutely amazing track, and the nostalgia I got when that hint of Dragon Roost Island started to play is just... indescribable. City of Commerce from NieR is also very good.

Day 23: (Underrated) | (AstralSoul64) Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - Jib Jig
This one's a fantastic pick. I barely ever hear anyone talk about this song, even though it accompanies the opening level to one of the best SNES games of all time. VERY underrated track for sure.

Day 24: (Stuck In Head) | (AstralSoul64) Super Mario 3D World - Switch Scramble Circus
I get songs from the more recent Mario games stuck in my head constantly despite the fact I've never played most of them, so this one's definitely a good pick for me.

Day 25: (Pumped) | (rdrunner) DuckTales Remastered - Mount Vesuvius
Another absolute banger from the DuckTales Remastered OST. Never heard this track before, but I'm very glad I have now, because I absolutely love it. These are the kind of tracks I live for. Orchestra Piece #1 from Twilight Princess is a close second, though.

Day 26: (Haven't Played) | (rdrunner) Final Fight 3 - For Metro City
I have also never played this game before, but I really like this track. Has that classic heavy SNES sound to it, where you can tell it's trying so hard to emulate the Genesis' sound 😆

Day 27: (Handheld) | (Sumez) Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin - The Gears Go Awry
Yet another fairly easy day for me. One of the best songs in one of my personal favorite CV soundtracks.

Day 28: (Nostalgic) | (nesmaster14) Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Endless Mine
'Eeeeeey, nesmaster finally got a spot on my list! You got there eventually, bud 😛 I wouldn't say this track in particular is one I'm nostalgic for, but Sonic 3 in general is a game I'm very nostalgic for, so this one definitely gets my pick for this day.

Day 29: (Final Boss) | (Sumez) Dark Souls - Gwyn, Lord of Cinder
Normally I'm in to epic, sweeping, orchestral-sounding final boss themes... but I don't know. Despite having never played a Soulsborne game, there's just something about this final boss theme I really like. I just love the juxtaposition of this song compared to typical final boss themes from other games. It almost sounds tragic. Plus it is just a beautiful song in general.

Day 30: (Credits) | (Sumez) The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Staff Roll
And Sumez manages to sweep the last two days of my list. This is one of the ending themes I'm most nostalgic for, I beat this game so many times when I was a kid, and I always loved that moment of respite you got during the credits, to just sit back and relax for a bit. Probably one of the most iconic ending themes that I can think of. Plus, once again, ending the list with the same franchise that started it 😛 Not to mention the fact that there is something oddly somber about this track, which I think tonally fits with the previous day's song.

Edited by ZeldaFreak
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, nesmaster14 said:

I read the programmer of Recca considers it one of his favorites, I'll have to check this out! 

He's probably more famous for programming Battle Garegga, one of the most notorious shoot'em ups out there, and that game borrows heavily from Gun Frontier, so I'll believe it. 🙂

• Like 3

Day 31!  Great job to everyone who took the time to make a list.  Looking forward to doing this again in the fall!

Day 1 Title: Ogre Battle (ookii_risu)

Day 2 Opening Level: Shatterhand (fox)

Day 3 8-Bit: Strider, Title (TriHart) - Kicking myself for not picking this on Day 1.

Day 4 Console Exclusive: Sonic the Hedgehog, Green Hill Zone (ookii_risu)

Day 5 Overworld: TMNT (AstralSoul64) - Nice non-RPG choice here!

Day 6 Relaxing: Yoshi's Island, Underground (Sumez)

Day 7 Indie: Hollow Knight, City of Tears (AstralSoul64)

Day 8 Shooter: Gradius 3, Sand Storm (ookii_risu)

Day 9 Licensed: Ducktales Remastered, Moon (ZeldaFreak)

Day 10 RPG Battle: Super Mario RPG, Fight Against Smithy (ZeldaFreak)

Day 11 Puzzle: Tetris the Grand Master 3, Speed Levels 500+ (Sumez) - Still looking for a stateside console release from this series.

Day 12 Sad: Mother, Mother Earth (Aguy) - 

Day 13 Disliked Game: Ikaruga, Boss (AverageOliver98)

Day 14 Vocals: Ico, You Were There (Sumez)

Day 15 Boss Battle: Final Fantasy 4 (ookii_risu, ZeldaFreak) - If I wasn't going for Maniac mode, I'd pick a bunch more tunes from Final Fantasy (sorry Dancing Mad, not this time).

Day 16 16-Bit: Castlevania: Dracula X - Stage 1 (ZeldaFreak)

Day 17 Never Gets Old: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - Scorch 'n' Torch (Sumez)

Day 18 Game Over: Shadowgate (Sumez)

Day 19 Cover by Different Artist: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Metal Slug 1 Assault (Sumez)

Day 20 Racing: Rad Racer - Sunset Coastline (nesmaster14)

Day 21 Frustration: Battletoads, Turbo Tunnel (nesmaster14) - Not just frustrating, but iconic.

Day 22 Town/Village: Zelda 2 The Adventure of Link (0xDEAFC0DE)

Day 23 Underrated: Super Adventure Island, Beach (nesmaster14)

Day 24 Stuck in Head: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, Fight Theme (Aguy)

Day 25 Pumped: Freedom Planet, Final Dreadnought 1 (AverageOliver98)

Day 26 Haven't Played: Perfect Cherry Blossom, Necrofantasia (AverageOliver98)

Day 27 Handheld: Sonic Pocket Adventure, Secret Plant Zone Act 1 (nesmaster14)

Day 28 Nostalgic: Street Fighter 2, Theme (Aguy)

Day 29 Final Boss: Octopath Traveler, Battle at Journey's End (AverageOliver98)

Day 30 Credits: Super Mario Land (0xDEAFC0DE, Aguy)

• Like 4