IGNORED

Where the Double/Triple Dippers at??

I have the worst habit of double dipping or even TRIPLE dipping on some games. The Switch made it very apparent when I bought a lot of LRG games digitally..then the ones I liked I bought standard...and LE..

I found this happens as I upgrade the condition of certain games too. I've bought CIB sets to get a better box or manual only to forget I even bought a second copy all together. Months later I'm wondering why I have two CIB Secret of Manas and a loose one on its way.

Anyhow, any other Double/Triple dippers out there?? 😅

**COLLECTION OF FRANCISES, VARIATIONS, OR DIFFERENT PLATFORMS I DON'T BELIEVE COUNT** A Great example is Ocarina of Time or Breath of the Wild from the Zelda Francise. Also Flashback. 

Dude, I think I've bought FF VII for at least 3x platforms, and there are others.  My worst "offender" though is Myst.  I loved it as a kid and I think it's the best point-and-click game of all time.  It's my goal to own a copy for every device they (Cyan) physically published it for because, IMHO, it's the linux of games.  If it can be ran on a system, they will port it to it and sell it.

• Like 1

If you count variants, then I'm very guilty of this: 6 different label variations of Space Invaders on the Atari 2600, for example.  Throw in cross-platform duplicates and I'm really out of control.  Also, as a result of buying out 3 different used game or game rental stores, I tend to have buttloads of identical, common games (ex: 54 copies of Daytona USA for the Saturn).

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RH said:

Dude, I think I've bought FF VII for at least 3x platforms, and there are others.  My worst "offender" though is Myst.  I loved it as a kid and I think it's the best point-and-click game of all time.  It's my goal to own a copy for every device they (Cyan) physically published it for because, IMHO, it's the linux of games.  If it can be ran on a system, they will port it to it and sell it.

I think that may have a happened a lot in the FF Franchise lol. Ooo post it!! I'd love to see all the different platforms you have it on. 

The CoD: Black Ops or Modern Warfare franchise, I.had like 3x copies for each system and had no idea where they were spawning from.

5 minutes ago, nrslam said:

If you count variants, then I'm very guilty of this: 6 different label variations of Space Invaders on the Atari 2600, for example.  Throw in cross-platform duplicates and I'm really out of control.  Also, as a result of buying out 3 different used game or game rental stores, I tend to have buttloads of identical, common games (ex: 54 copies of Daytona USA for the Saturn).

Yup this post is for people like us! Variants I give a light pass cause I mean c'mon different varities even slight or minimal are cool. 

Ah then the duplicates that come just from being active like you said. Maybe thats where I got so many CoD games from!!

I’m more of a triple dipper (kind of). 😅

- Bought Final Fantasy VII when the Greatest Hits version was available. Sold these at different points.

- Bought Final Fantasy VII when Nintendo had the digital version on sale.

- Bought a NFR copy of Final Fantasy VII Remake on eBay. Debating if I should sell it.

- Bought a Walmart copy of Final Fantasy VII Remake on eBay. Got rid of it and gave up on eBay (again, which sucks in a way).

- Bought a Japanese copy of Final Fantasy VII Remake on CDJapan. I plan to have this copy graded.

I am also planning to double dip on Astral Chain. The digital version is on my list. Plus I am debating about multi-console releases of any games I do own.

And finally, since I gave up on eBay the chance of me double dipping for potential upgrades are gone.

• Wow! 1

It's something I very rarely have done over the years and well Nintendo.  SUPer Mario Allstars on SNES, then the latter Advance set of 4 games but that's mobile while a SNES/NES certainly are not so easier rationalized (same with FF games on GBA, Ghosts n Goblins+1942 on GBC, Zelda LTTP, etc.)

I've not really directly double dipped on stuff beyond that unless the game was radically different.  I own Gradius 2 on Famicom, but I also have the stellar PCE CD version which is like arcade on the nose, same with the original Gradius too.  Parodius I have a few ports of, they differ but not so much between FC, GB, PCE.

That's about as far as I take it really, unless it's a ridiculous easy to get super cheap made to be lazy port like say Neo Turf Masters or a Metal Slug game on my MVS vs my mobile phone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

I’m more of a triple dipper (kind of). 😅

- Bought Final Fantasy VII when the Greatest Hits version was available. Sold these at different points.

- Bought Final Fantasy VII when Nintendo had the digital version on sale.

- Bought a NFR copy of Final Fantasy VII Remake on eBay. Debating if I should sell it.

- Bought a Walmart copy of Final Fantasy VII Remake on eBay. Got rid of it and gave up on eBay (again, which sucks in a way).

- Bought a Japanese copy of Final Fantasy VII Remake on CDJapan. I plan to have this copy graded.

I am also planning to double dip on Astral Chain. The digital version is on my list. Plus I am debating about multi-console releases of any games I do own.

And finally, since I gave up on eBay the chance of me double dipping for potential upgrades are gone.

Oh yeah, guilty as charged on this one haha confirmed Dipper over here!! Lol

You say you gave up on eBay, whats the deal.on that just not the quality of the items you were seeking?? Thanks for sharing 🙂

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

It's something I very rarely have done over the years and well Nintendo.  SUPer Mario Allstars on SNES, then the latter Advance set of 4 games but that's mobile while a SNES/NES certainly are not so easier rationalized (same with FF games on GBA, Ghosts n Goblins+1942 on GBC, Zelda LTTP, etc.)

I've not really directly double dipped on stuff beyond that unless the game was radically different.  I own Gradius 2 on Famicom, but I also have the stellar PCE CD version which is like arcade on the nose, same with the original Gradius too.  Parodius I have a few ports of, they differ but not so much between FC, GB, PCE.

That's about as far as I take it really, unless it's a ridiculous easy to get super cheap made to be lazy port like say Neo Turf Masters or a Metal Slug game on my MVS vs my mobile phone.

Right that was a big pickle for me is seeing NES coming out on various platforms during that time. How about releases for the NES Classic and Switch NESflix with the online membership??

Nice I can see how the same game changes names with console or region. Take a look Super Mario 2 back then. Very cool Jam tho, I'm just starting to get into shmups 🙂

I also forgot the NES Classic Edition GBA releases of which we got 10 and Japan(FC) got like 20 if not more(I forget.)  I had the NES GBA games, didn't care, it had the hot saves and it was portable, still do have SMB, Castlevania and Zelda 1 of those.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I also forgot the NES Classic Edition GBA releases of which we got 10 and Japan(FC) got like 20 if not more(I forget.)  I had the NES GBA games, didn't care, it had the hot saves and it was portable, still do have SMB, Castlevania and Zelda 1 of those.

Word! I feel that, backlit 101 GBA with one of these classics and I'm set!

1 hour ago, Jayfate91 said:

Oh yeah, guilty as charged on this one haha confirmed Dipper over here!! Lol

You say you gave up on eBay, whats the deal.on that just not the quality of the items you were seeking?? Thanks for sharing 🙂

Better a dipper than a dip, right? Ha ha ha. 😜 But yeah... All my experiences with eBay are pretty much a toss of the coin. Especially when it comes to sealed games.

For example, I have a first print PS3 game that looks like a 9.6 or 9.8 with a weak-medium "A+"/medium-strong "A" wrap. A new Japanese seller has the same game, and theirs looks to be a definite upgrade in the wrap department. They also promise to do their best in terms of packing the item. But the chance the shippers (once it comes to arriving at LAX and beyond) will keep it in that condition is a Vegas bet. So even if I want to double dip in hopes of getting an upgrade, not using DHL or FedEx has me thinking that history should not repeat itself.

So not a problemo. And expect me to give eBay another shot. There might be a few rare CIB games I want there. Plus I am debating on revising my goal to have a rebuilt arcade cabinet be part of my collecting goals. So choosing which game I want, and buying what I need for that, may result in me using eBay. 🙂

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 9:32 PM, Tanooki said:

Excluding variants, there was 30 for the Famicom Mini Series. With variants, there was 31. Volume 1: Super Mario Bros. had a "30th anniversary" variant when it comes to a first print. The second (and beyond) print looks no different than the rest in terms of packaging.

It's the one series of games I know I would have completed if I knew you guys in 2012. 😅

Edited by FenrirZero

15 hours ago, Jayfate91 said:

I'd love to see all the different platforms you have [Myst] on. 

Well, I will some day.  I don't have a bunch.  It's a back-burner goal because most of them aren't expensive and I don't see that changing since it was mass published.  I know I have it for PC (multiple copies because I can't help but buy it when I see it for $.50 at a yard sale), PS1 and a couple others.  I'd have to dig and look since I don't have a "shrine" and I keep all my games with their respective system collections.

Actually, talking about it is motivating me.  I may knock this out when I get back into buying up collectible games.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nostalgic Machine said:

Lol! I had the problem of once having several copies of the same game, for the same console. It was nice when it was something in demand like Battletoads, but not SMB/DH carts LOL. Didn't Pat the NES Punk make a chair or something out of those?

So he made a... Throne of Games?

• Haha 4

Depends on the game but I've definitely double/triple/quadruple dipped on certain games. Rebought a lot of Wii U games on Switch for portability. Bought a few on Switch and PS4, PS4 being my primary console and for the trophies, but Switch because of the convenience and portability. I've rebought Dark Souls, Resident Evil 4, Diablo 3 and Skyrim more times than I choose to count, among other favorites of mine.