IGNORED

Views on N64 collecting then vs now

So the discussion of the old site in a different thread lead me to going through some of the old discussions just for fun and I came across a thread discussing N64 collecting circa 2007 and I figured it be fun to look at the thoughts then vs now. Also because I saw users on here from back then. Interesting that ISS 2000 seemed to be the big or one of the big games to get. Now is barely a $60 game only maybe $30 more than what I paid in 2012. The "not for resale" carts did definitely jump up like predicted. I'm curious  what @Dr. Morbis thoughts are now vs what he said then. Obviously a lot has transpired in 13 years.

image.png.536550887f92c46bcafc34fc8616a6d5.png

image.png.03b1a07946a6feb20b917ae243acde79.png

image.png.1b70677b4232a536898025be0e4d2456.png

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, those names bring back some memories.  I don't collect for PS1 so I don't know anything about it, nor do I collect for N64, but it's my understanding that it's still pretty easy to complete aside from Scuptor's Cut and maybe one or two others?  The thing is, back then I collected for pretty much every cartridge-based system in existence, but I went through a huge purge a long time ago and I'm almost entirely a NES/Famicom and Turbo/PC Engine collector now, so I'm not too familiar with current prices for anything outside of that.

I will say this, though: I've learned that you can never discount the "Nintendo" factor.  If something has the word Nintendo anywhere on it's packaging, it seems to be more collectable by default.  And cartridges trump discs all day long for collectability too.  Just look at what's happening with the Switch...

Just completed the loose set of N64, ISS2000 is still hard to come by and so was Carmegeddon 64 for some reason. Most expensive games for me were Sculpters cut, super bowling, and stunt racer. It’s funny how there are a couple $300+ games that have many listings on eBay but ISS2000 doesn’t pop up nearly as much and was only about $60. There weren’t a lot of super expensive games but surprisingly a lot of games that hover in the 20-40 area. I wish I could transport to when the most expensive games were Zelda and the Mario parties!

6 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Man, those names bring back some memories.  I don't collect for PS1 so I don't know anything about it, nor do I collect for N64, but it's my understanding that it's still pretty easy to complete aside from Scuptor's Cut and maybe one or two others?  The thing is, back then I collected for pretty much every cartridge-based system in existence, but I went through a huge purge a long time ago and I'm almost entirely a NES/Famicom and Turbo/PC Engine collector now, so I'm not too familiar with current prices for anything outside of that.

I will say this, though: I've learned that you can never discount the "Nintendo" factor.  If something has the word Nintendo anywhere on it's packaging, it seems to be more collectable by default.  And cartridges trump discs all day long for collectability too.  Just look at what's happening with the Switch...

Nothing is easy anymore.  Comparatively easy to NES or SNES based on quantity alone?  Sure.  Easy as in if you had a bunch of money could you just buy it in a month?  Not anymore, supply is pretty dry and you have to pry some games out of collections or be extremely patient with eBay.  

So yes, N64 is easier than other Nintendo systems based on volume but it would still take tons of cash and time these days.  It's also been interesting seeing some of the rares ebb and flow overtime.  Sculptor's Cut manual is still king of the set but ISS 2000 has fallen down the rankings for sure.  Second Attack has been heating up lately too.  Games bubble and fall all the time.

Every time any discussion regarding N64 comes up, I kick myself for not doing what I wanted to do and that was hunting down multiple Sculptor's Cuts back in the late 90s.  When I heard it was going to be a Blockbuster exclusive AND it was crappy game (because who would see that as collectible?!) I knew this day would come.  But, at that time I was getting ready for college and lost focus of the important things. 😞

@jonebone @RH

I remember right after my parents forced me to sell nearly all of my childhood games, I saw a great Sculptor’s Cut for $75. This would have been around 2010. 

And Jone is correct about the manual. While many N64 cib still have a price much lower than their rarity, that manual is the only one I can’t find for under $1,000 ten years later. 

It's interesting how much the grey variants have jumped. I'd say the grey variants were not any more money then the color versions even as late as 2012. I wanna say it was the revelation of the grey Turok Rage Wars that started the climb on other grey variants. Was anyone else there when they first popped up on ebay in a case? It was $12 BIN, I kick myself for not buying a handful of them instead of just the one.  Now a few of them had shot up in price a bit, but as a result are easier to find. It took me nearly a year to find a Bassmasters grey cart and now you see two or three of them listed on ebay.

8 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

It's interesting how much the grey variants have jumped. I'd say the grey variants were not any more money then the color versions even as late as 2012. I wanna say it was the revelation of the grey Turok Rage Wars that started the climb on other grey variants. Was anyone else there when they first popped up on ebay in a case? It was $12 BIN, I kick myself for not buying a handful of them instead of just the one.  Now a few of them had shot up in price a bit, but as a result are easier to find. It took me nearly a year to find a Bassmasters grey cart and now you see two or three of them listed on ebay.

People were not aware of the grey Rage Wars as late as 2014 to 2015.  I bought my beat up copy for $5.35 at a high priced retro store.  I was as gleeful as can be.  

Shamefully, I am hoping to catch a -01 No Mercy in a lot someday. 

I'm pretty sure the N64 still has quite a lot of growing to do, frankly. We've seen prices shoot up quite a bit across the board due to coronavirus related spending, and I can't see those dropping back down again any time soon, I reckon this is gonna be the new baseline. Time will tell, but that's where my thinking is at the moment.

As an aside, whether we're in a bubble or not, all I can say is I'm glad I bought my Sculptor's cut last year! I was thinking 365 was a big number, but I had a strong suspicion it would continue marching upwards... However, I did not think I'd be up like a hundred bucks just 6 months later, lol! That game is gonna break 500 in no time, and after that, who even knows!

It’s definitely not easy anymore to find good N64 boxes or manuals. The majority of those that did survive seem to have a decent amount of crushing or other wear.

The smaller set size makes it easier, but I also think that attracts more set collectors which makes it harder to find certain games that otherwise people probably wouldn’t care about.