IGNORED

Unreal Engine 5 on the PS5

The environment looks absolutely amazing. The character doesn't look all that much better than top end graphics now from what I see. The water looked horrible. I'll be interested to see actual in game footage that isn't just a graphics demo. Take the character out of the video and it'd be hard to distinguish from real life with the lighting effects. 

27 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Looks like it is going to make game development even more expensive, since all of those models/assets require development...

I really hope not. It may in fact make such game development less expensive if the engine is fairly robust and intuitive. Or at any rate, no more expensive than today. While AAA games typically require huge amounts of money, other indie developers have also used Unreal. Many of the best games from the past two decades were made using Unreal including Borderlands, Batman Arkham Asylum, Dragon Quest XI, Bioshock... and games that aren't necessarily AAA but still wonderful games made using Unreal include Bloodstained, Bard's Tale IV, Hellblade (any NInaj Theory game really), Life is Strange, Flame in the Flood... 

Looking forward to seeing what developers can do!

Edited by avatar!

3 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

The environment looks absolutely amazing. The character doesn't look all that much better than top end graphics now from what I see. The water looked horrible. I'll be interested to see actual in game footage that isn't just a graphics demo. Take the character out of the video and it'd be hard to distinguish from real life with the lighting effects. 

I agree. I suspect they simply didn't want to bother with the character. Game studios today can definitely create nearly life-like facial expressions. I'm sure Unreal 5 can do that, but obviously the environment (triangles) was what they wanted people to focus on! 

• Like 1

A lot of ue demos tend to be a bit hyperbolic with their capabilities. You can notice that all the static geometry looks really nice, but the dynamic stuff (the character, bats, water, etc.) don't stand out as much. Someone else also pointed out that there's never more than one light source emitting GI. 

That being said, there's still some cool things in that demo. We'll just have to wait and see how much of it is actually practical in real time. 

Digital Foundry did a nice video talking about this demo. There is a lot of cool tech being shown off here.  What developers do with this will be much more impressive than the demo I'm sure.  I am really looking forward to when we are past the cross gen period.  Late 2021 and 2022 is when we will really see the benefit of next gen.  This year will likely just be faster load times and a graphics bump.

• Like 1

I haven't wanted to buy a console based off of graphical capability since the PS2. This is extremely tempting, though.

The water sucked though. I mean, realllllly bad. I mean, I could see how they were trying to spotlight the real time fluid Dynamics but it felt sooooo bad compared to the rest of the demo.

4 hours ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

What I heard is they are importing already made film assets?

For this demo they are using Quixel megascans (Epic bought Quixel): https://quixel.com/megascans/collections?category=environment&category=natural&category=limestone-quarry

In general, they are saying that you can take models straight from you artists' sculpting program (zbrush) and put it directly in the game as opposed generating lower poly models from a very high quality source model. One impact this might have is game sizes will probably be even greater than they are now to fit even higher quality assets. 

• Like 1