IGNORED

You guys have any suggestions for power supplies and UPC setups for your systems?

RH

I'm in need of some power strips and a solid surge protector.  Battery back-up is not needed.  I know there are some good UPCs that I've used as an engineer, but since I'm setting up my gaming rig, I just want to properly protect my equipment.

What I'm think I'll do (or hoping I can do) is get me a really good surge protector with, maybe, four outlets and then hooking up 4 power strips to the UPC.  I'll strategically hook up my hardware so that when I am gaming, no single surge protector outlet is being used for one device, even if I have two TVs running, playing two separate consoles, which might happen.  I know that means I'd be running four devices off of one wall outlet, so maybe I should change that strategy.

Anyway, my request is two, maybe three fold.  First, is this a decent strategy, or should I instead get two, two port surge protectors?  That way, I'm using both outlets.

Second, what are good surge protectors that don't come with a bunch of bells and whistles but does take care of that main need?

Last, any recommendations on good gaming power strips with, say, 8 outlets?  I know that's kind of high, but since I'm always adding to my collection, including consoles, I just want to have what I need to play.  I won't be running 20 consoles and TVs at once, so I'm not really worried about overloading anything.  Last thing regarding power strips is that I'd like for the outlets to be spaced apart and turn 90 degrees.  So many devices have the power brick at the outlet, I have no clue why this isn't standard with power strips.  It's so annoying having a 5 outlet power strip, but you can only get 2 devices on it and possibly a 3rd if it's a 2-prong that's inserted at an angle.

3 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

This is what I use, two of them actually. Belkin 12-Outlet Power Strip Surge Protector w/ 8ft Cord.  3,940 joules.  $25 for 12 outlets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J2EN4S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, that helps.  I'll add them to my list.

Has anyone ever had a series of power supplies and had lightening hit their house?  Specifically, did you lose any equipment (validating that lightening did run into the home) but the appliances plugged into the power strips were fine?

Belkin seems to be a good company, but I also know that 99% of the time, you don't need what these are made for, so it's hard to find legit reviews.  It's my understanding that there is no such thing a perfect surge protector, but they aren't all created equal.

Regardless, thanks @Deadeye.  It's always good to have a personal recommendation, over review, on Amazon.  There are to many fake an false ones there, I don't trust them anymore.

For real protection against lightning, you may want to get a lightning arrestor for your power panel. They should be changed out every time they have an event. UPS’s will claim to protect against surges, but the magnitude of lightning is much greater than what the sub $100 UPS products are designed for. 

Also, for the setup you are talking about, I would strongly suggest you consider drawing a schematic of your setup. Look at the nameplate of all you devices and be sure to note how much power consumption each device uses. Then look at the power rating of your power strips and make sure you are not overloading them with all the devices. Also make sure the UPS is not overloaded. Same goes for the breaker that if feeding the outlet.

I think Eaton and APC have some good products. There are different levels of protection you can get from different UPS’s. Some of them get into the thousands. I definitely think one in the $100-200 is worth it considering it may save one of your $100-200 consoles from getting fried. 

Also, I believe Microsoft advises to NOT use a UPS to protect their XBox console. Although I do not understand their justification for this (and I work in the UPS industry). 

On 4/17/2020 at 6:58 AM, RH said:

Has anyone ever had a series of power supplies and had lightening hit their house?  Specifically, did you lose any equipment (validating that lightening did run into the home) but the appliances plugged into the power strips were fine?

A direct strike will overwhelm pretty much any consumer grade (and much of the commercial grade) surge protection. You're better off just unplugging everything.