Jump to content
IGNORED

Sega Genesis rare 6-Pack variant.


Ampplays
 Share

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, The Count said:

Nice. Was this determined to be a US release?

I'm pretty sure it's an Asian release it shows up in Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan all the time.

I actually have one up for sale as well (upgraded to a BNIB version)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114133469833

If anyone here is interested happy to drop the price!!!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, billybob884 said:

Interesting that it uses regular phillips screws... I've seen people argue on both sides of the Asia/North America issue, it does have genesis branding, but they're so rare here as opposed to overseas

For comparison, my NA 6 pak cart is assembled in USA while this one is made in Japan

CBFEDEF1-4A7B-478C-97DA-B1B40FFFFF28.thumb.jpeg.381b4f3144ccbe66834e4f90eb16b120.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/2/2020 at 4:06 AM, billybob884 said:

Interesting that it uses regular phillips screws... I've seen people argue on both sides of the Asia/North America issue, it does have genesis branding, but they're so rare here as opposed to overseas

Yes I always found that strange as well, looks like they realised the problem that's why they added the security seal. Certainly an oddity. I think it will be tuff to establish it's true heritage but as it is so similar to the Asian 10 game cart and package I am going for Asian.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

I find it very unlikely that this is an Asian release. Nothing was ever released in Asia with the Genesis branding, and the fact that the label has a rating and a US phone number sort of seals it. The holographic sticker is strange though.

I don't think this is entirely true, there are known Genesis Asian releases such as:

spacer.png

This is a well known variant amongst the collecting community.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

My bad, I was not aware of this Jurassic Park variant. Still, it's a proper Asian release with marking at the back and Japanese-shaped cartridge. The 6 Pak still looks 100% US, doesn't it? 😟

I posted a photo of my US cart for reference. The 6 pak cart in this variant does not match it.

Edited by MiamiSlice
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/2/2020 at 2:02 AM, dyer said:

I'm pretty sure it's an Asian release it shows up in Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan all the time.

I actually have one up for sale as well (upgraded to a BNIB version)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114133469833

If anyone here is interested happy to drop the price!!!

I disagree on this point, I've never seen this one in Taiwan, ever. Perhaps you meant Thailand, or should I even shudder and say it, China?

About Genesis games and Asian versions, it's been established that the American EA Games were sold in Taiwan via a local company, possibly even connected with Sega / EA themselves, so something could happen with this one, I.e a Genesis branded game being sold here, though I haven't seen evidence one way or the other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

I checked the eBay listing, it shows a US cart too, so I guess that's what came in the box😀

it does say made in japan but looks like a standard us cart ??

my point was the cart in my photo says assembled in USA. yes they both look like standard US carts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

official asian md stuff was really a thing in thailand (wywy) and malaysia (galaxy), hong kong and taiwan not much. people are still finding shipping boxes of asian md games and consoles in thailand, and we're in 2020.😆

some n64 USA games were sold in taiwan, i even recall one sold with an adapter to make it fit a jpn/roc n64, maybe prior to that they did the same with some md games, wouldn't be too surprised

Edited by Tyree_Cooper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/11/2020 at 12:25 PM, Tyree_Cooper said:

official asian md stuff was really a thing in thailand (wywy) and malaysia (galaxy), hong kong and taiwan not much. people are still finding shipping boxes of asian md games and consoles in thailand, and we're in 2020.😆

some n64 USA games were sold in taiwan, i even recall one sold with an adapter to make it fit a jpn/roc n64, maybe prior to that they did the same with some md games, wouldn't be too surprised

Oh, you mean something like this?

IMG20200126222527.thumb.jpg.9891f35581303eed172744b29df2b181.jpg

IMG20200126222533.thumb.jpg.1e9e9ab94ebb13766c2723b7f8358e9a.jpg

  • Wow! 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2020 at 9:25 PM, Tyree_Cooper said:

The 6 Pak still looks 100% US, doesn't it? 😟

I mean, not really. I don't think there's a single release in the US that used the mini cardboard box with a plastic tray (and, again, phillips screws). The Genesis branding doesn't mean too much tbh. Remember, plagerism is Asia's MO...

Edited by billybob884
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The mini cardboard 6-Pak is an official Sega release, and as my spreadsheet tracks Genesis releases (this inclusive of Canadian Genesis titles), I consider this a Genesis release.

When I owned both this cart and the Mega Games 10, as well as a few different regions of consoles, I did some tests. Some of it was probably posted to SegaAge. I think my take back then were that these were surplus US carts that got a new packaging release, primary (or exclusively) sold in Asia. That reasoning makes sense to me for the Genesis branding: the carts already existed and they wanted the boxes (done as cheaply as possible thus the small size) to match. This Genesis 6-Pak did not include a manual, and I recall Mega Games 10 being the same.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, supergamboy said:

The mini cardboard 6-Pak is an official Sega release, and as my spreadsheet tracks Genesis releases (this inclusive of Canadian Genesis titles), I consider this a Genesis release.

When I owned both this cart and the Mega Games 10, as well as a few different regions of consoles, I did some tests. Some of it was probably posted to SegaAge. I think my take back then were that these were surplus US carts that got a new packaging release, primary (or exclusively) sold in Asia. That reasoning makes sense to me for the Genesis branding: the carts already existed and they wanted the boxes (done as cheaply as possible thus the small size) to match. This Genesis 6-Pak did not include a manual, and I recall Mega Games 10 being the same.

Hey! Long time no see hope you are keeping safe and well. Thanks for the extra info, I think your reasoning makes a lot of sense. Mega Games 10 was indeed the same and didn't include a manual, the similar size box, the consistency of not having a manual and the holo sticker add to the evidence that this is Asian.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, so then it depends on if you're a "US" collector or a "Genesis" collector.  

I wouldn't count this as a US release or variant, as far as the US set is concerned.  I'm ambivalent whether it should be included in the Asian "set."  More than anything, I would count it as a Genesis release, just like I do Canadian titles.  So if you collect Canadian, in addition to US, because they are "Genesis", then it might make sense to add this Genesis 6-Pak to your personal list.

With that logic, I might need to add to my spreadsheet the Asian "Genesis" Jurassic Park, hmm.

Things are well, bud! I've been researching game art now much more than games themselves

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...