IGNORED

Ultimate Nintendo collection

I remember many years ago seeing a TV show about a guy who collected anything Mario related.  It was so long ago, I don't remember if they talked much about actual video games or not.  I just remember the room being full of Mario merchandise, and that alone took up a huge amount of space.  To have everything Nintendo related ever created would require a warehouse.  I'm not sure how enjoyable that kind of collection would be.  

13 hours ago, Mario_Friend1982 said:

Does anybody think about owning all Nintendo games, consoles, books, accessories, handhelds, collectibles and merchandise? You would be the envy of your friends and neighbours!

My friends would be concerned for my well being, and my neighbors wouldn't give a shit.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mario_Friend1982 said:

Does anybody think about owning all Nintendo games, consoles, books, accessories, handhelds, collectibles and merchandise? You would be the envy of your friends and neighbours!

That's definitely always been my goal, but only for 8-bit era and aftermarket items related to the 8-bit era. Not for anyone's envy, though, more as a near-impossible goal to strive for as a personal achievement (within a domain of personal interest).

As for the quality vs. quantity argument; it really depends, of course, on what criteria you use for 'quality'. There are lots of items with poor build quality, gameplay quality, writing quality, etc, but that usually leads to less demand and interest and, over time, less supply and increased quality in terms of rarity.

ETA: I've always been curious how many collectors still strive for this, as the focus in the last decade has shifted much more to niche areas of interest as opposed to broadly collecting items associated with a gaming brand / era etc. It seems to me as if there were many more broad collectors ~15 years ago, but at the time, most collectors probably underestimated the amount of different stuff out there and downsized their goals accordingly.

Edited by Speedy_NES