IGNORED

Getting Rid of Permanent Marker - What am I doing wrong?

ICrappedMyPants

I’ve been trying to remove permanent marker from some of my NES and SNES cartridges. I’ve seen many suggestions. I ended up using q tips and 99% isopropyl alcohol because I was trying not to alter the surface of the cart. However, it’s not coming completely off and I’ve had to push too hard with the q tip that the surface of an SNES cart became smooth.

I know a lot of people swear by dry erase pens, but it’s my understanding that the alcohol in it is what does the trick. Is alcohol alone not sufficient? Do I need to apply it differently?

Thanks!

Sometimes the ink sits for to long that it dyes the plastic. Also Super Nintendo games for some reason are more stubborn when it comes to removing marker from them. NES carts are more forgiving but then again it all depends on how long the ink has been sitting in the cart.

if I can’t remove it with alcohol I accept defeat and hope that I can find a clean copy of the game in the future. People use magic eraser but that’s just sanding it down pretty much  

• Thanks 1

Alcohol isn't always the answer.  You're right about the alcohol in dry erase markers being the trick with those.  Sometimes marker/Sharpie has just been dried onto a cart so long that it takes repeated efforts to get it to budge.  As you've discovered, don't apply additional pressure, as doing so can cause the texture to scrub off the cart.

Lighter fluid is another good solution and can be fantastic for getting sticky labels off of things (boxes especially), although you'd need to be careful not to get it near the labels on your carts, as it'll dissolve the adhesive on everything in its path, not just the stuff you don't want.  Another often effective solution, believe it or not, is brake fluid--you've just got to be careful with where it ends up and might need to let it set a little before being able to wipe away the offending marks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mostly use brake fluid, apply with a cotton swab gently scrubbing, marker will slowly dissolve, when it's completely dissolved do not leave the brake fluid on the plastic as it can damage it, I remove it with a paper towel and scrub with alcohol a little bit to make sure it's gone, oh and this is for the plastic shell only, stay away from the labels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Woobie said:

Honest answer is I use Rain-X, its hydrophobic so it helps to basically "detach" the marker from the cart itself. Works wonders for me (much better than alcohol). Obviously dont want to use on a label or box as it will damage it though (unless label is laminated).   

Awesome tip!  I'll have to try this should I run into any carts that are in need of a good deep cleaning.  I'd say this would be ok if used on the top of a laminated label, but would still damage the label if you just poured it on top, willy nilly, as it would likely soak into the label around the edges, lamination or not.

Just now, darkchylde28 said:

Awesome tip!  I'll have to try this should I run into any carts that are in need of a good deep cleaning.  I'd say this would be ok if used on the top of a laminated label, but would still damage the label if you just poured it on top, willy nilly, as it would likely soak into the label around the edges, lamination or not.

Ya, what I tend to do is if its on the edge I kind of "tilt" the cart so any extra will pour away from the label. I use a qtip, dip it into the rain-x and try to keep the extra to a minimum. Always gotta be careful around edges of labels though so it doesnt drip underneath

On 10/23/2019 at 9:03 AM, captmorgandrinker said:

Are you using denatured alcohol?   That's the stuff that takes off marker well, not just regular rubbing alcohol.

Nope, I’ve been using aseptic alcohol.

5 hours ago, Woobie said:

Ya, what I tend to do is if its on the edge I kind of "tilt" the cart so any extra will pour away from the label. I use a qtip, dip it into the rain-x and try to keep the extra to a minimum. Always gotta be careful around edges of labels though so it doesnt drip underneath

Interesting, I could try this on a cheap cart. How long do you let it sit?

1 hour ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

Nope, I’ve been using aseptic alcohol.

Interesting, I could try this on a cheap cart. How long do you let it sit?

I usually dont need to let it sit at all, just q-tip and small circles around and it starts to come off almost immediately. Obviously there ends up being some "spill over" since it doesnt dry up instantly so I tend to tilt it a bit just to be cautious

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2019 at 8:30 PM, epiclotus said:

I am advocating for leaving the marker there!  I will do so in all of these threads (*evil laugh?*).  Carts with marker or rental stickers are unique pieces of history.  Scrubbing that history creates a void.  I say, bust out a sharpie, and add your own flair to the cart!

I agree. Especially with rental stickers and such. Those stores probably don't even exist anymore. People's names on carts I can usually live without, but will usually leave.

However, sometimes a previous owner will make a half hearted attempt at removing stickers or other markings, and that just looks terrible to me and that's when I feel I have to clean it up.

• 1 year later...