IGNORED

Can you collect turtle shells?

cartman

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Administrator · Posted

I would say only get ones that have been already legally sourced for something like turtle soup.

In a side note, my boss kept their pet turtle's shell after it passed away.   Apparently they buried it for some time and the bugs took care of the fleshy bits.

3 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I would say only get ones that have been already legally sourced for something like turtle soup.

In a side note, my boss kept their pet turtle's shell after it passed away.   Apparently they buried it for some time and the bugs took care of the fleshy bits.

Don't they outgrow the shell naturally? Maybe that's how they're being acquired. I don't know about any community collecting them but maybe they do. Wouldn't the illegal market revolve around the exotic pet trade if anything?

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, cartman said:

Don't they outgrow the shell naturally? Maybe that's how they're being acquired. I don't know about any community collecting them but maybe they do. Wouldn't the illegal market revolve around the exotic pet trade if anything?

Turtle shells grow along with the turtle; but the scutes (scale looking thingies) will shed and regrow.

Also, some turtle/tortoise species are protected, so if they're being killed for their shells then that's a big issue.

9 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Turtle shells grow along with the turtle; but the scutes (scale looking thingies) will shed and regrow.

Also, some turtle/tortoise species are protected, so if they're being killed for their shells then that's a big issue.

Ok i see. I guess they'll have to die of age in that case because if some predator does them in that shell will have been cracked apart.

But don't you think they're protected from the pet trade rather than the shells? Or perhaps it's a delicacy somewhere you know like those shark fins. I very much doubt there is a shell trade specifically.