IGNORED

Paypal Fees

Is there anyone here that does not accept paypal on their ebay listings? They charged my 4.6% on my last transaction and I'd really like to not use them. 

Honestly, I can't figure how the calculate the fee, I have seen it run between 2 and 7%.

Edit: maybe they are charging me the fee based on the tax the buyer pays and the tax doesn't show in the base amount received. 

Edited by Californication

3 minutes ago, Californication said:

Is there anyone here that does not accept paypal on their ebay listings? They charged my 4.6% on my last transaction and I'd really like to not use them. 

Honestly, I can't figure how the calculate the fee, I have seen it run between 2 and 7%.

I can't help you with this.  The thing that's always gotten me, and why I'm legit shocked that someone out there, in at least the last 10 years, hasn't found a way to compete with eBay, because eBay fees + Paypal fees are in the neighborhood of 15%.  What kills me the most is that eBay does (or did) own Paypal, so there's no reason why the service couldn't have been integrated.

Of course, why would they when they own the seller-to-seller market online, that requires shipping.  I even think Amazon could give them a much larger run for their money if they would make it easier, and encourage sellers to add photos of their used items.  I know there is a way to do it because I've seen a photo or two for some used games on Amazon, but if Amazon revamped their platform and restructured it, I think they could kill eBay and reduce the fees for sellers.

I just someone would overtake eBay but, just like everyone else, there's no better solution so I'll continue to sell there.

8 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

Paypal is 2.9 percent plus 30 cents

Ebay plus paypal isnt 15 percent

For me its 11.9 percent plus 30 cents. You arent going to find a cheaper payment processor. Just be thankful you arent a business and have to purchase credit processors yourself. Just be thankful they took care of that for you. 

They just charged me $5.54 on a $119 transaction. And my international transactions forget about it.

Edited by Californication

6 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

Paypal is 2.9 percent plus 30 cents

Ebay plus paypal isnt 15 percent

For me its 11.9 percent plus 30 cents. You arent going to find a cheaper payment processor. Just be thankful you arent a business and have to purchase credit processors yourself. Just be thankful they took care of that for you. 

I came to say the same thing except I'm pretty sure I pay 12.9% plus $.30.  I'm guessing you get a discount due to being a larger seller.  I only sell a few hundred dollars worth of stuff a year at most.  

Regardless, the Paypal fee is pretty straight forward.  

23 minutes ago, Californication said:

NM, I asked the buyer and he said its not international, but it looks like 4.4% to me which would be the international rate. 

The guys address says Florida, but has a weird business name Aero PLJ Cargo Logistics?

Every now and then, I got some unusually high fees this year as well.  I never looked into it, but I am with you on having had some odd transactions.

And for people saying that the tax is not part of the total that gets charged a fee, you may be correct (I don't know), but it the taxes are part of the total that is on your tax form at the end of the year.

55 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

don't know why you don't just sell locally, there are lots of guys around here that would buy up any game I list if it's cheap enough.

Locally is a hassle. Everyone who wants to buy my shit at least a tire kicker. They wana meet half way and then haggle a new price on the spot. Every item I've sold IRL has been a massive time sink. It doesn't help that most buyers are people who seem to live in the sewers and only come up to make face to face purchases and eat dollar cheese burgers from McDonald's.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Locally is a hassle. Everyone who wants to buy my shit at least a tire kicker. They wana meet half way and then haggle a new price on the spot. Every item I've sold IRL has been a massive time sink. It doesn't help that most buyers are people who seem to live in the sewers and only come up to make face to face purchases and eat dollar cheese burgers from McDonald's.

I don't know where you're finding these people, I've never had a problem. We have a local Facebook group for video game collectors and I just post it in there. There are a few thousand people that mostly know each other and people have no issue coming to pick things up. For anything else, my girlfriend posts it on Varage Sale and it's gone in no time. I find local Facebook groups give me the best results.

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

I don't know where you're finding these people, I've never had a problem. We have a local Facebook group for video game collectors and I just post it in there. There are a few thousand people that mostly know each other and people have no issue coming to pick things up. For anything else, my girlfriend posts it on Varage Sale and it's gone in no time. I find local Facebook groups give me the best results.

I live in a very blue collar area which might have a lot to do with the clientele. They're basically cyotes that scavenge local sellers and try to get one over on everyone. Every time I put posts on what I'm buying, say Gameboy or 3ds games, I'll exclusively get messages about how they want to sell their shovelware for eBay prices. No one in any local group is a collector outside of the trash piles of wares they consider to be gold.

4 hours ago, coffeewithmrsaturn said:

Every now and then, I got some unusually high fees this year as well.  I never looked into it, but I am with you on having had some odd transactions.

And for people saying that the tax is not part of the total that gets charged a fee, you may be correct (I don't know), but it the taxes are part of the total that is on your tax form at the end of the year.

just deduct the sales tax from the taxable income. It will be on the 1099 ebay will send regarding sales tax

Edited by Quest4Nes

5 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I came to say the same thing except I'm pretty sure I pay 12.9% plus $.30.  I'm guessing you get a discount due to being a larger seller.  I only sell a few hundred dollars worth of stuff a year at most.  

Regardless, the Paypal fee is pretty straight forward.  

9.15 % for me in video games and toys and hobbies. Different categories are different percentages. Systems/consoles are 4%. So really my fees are 12.05% plus .30 cents with ebay and paypal. 

54 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

just deduct the sales tax from the taxable income. It will be on the 1099 ebay will send regarding sales tax

This question probably reveals my accounting ignorance, but isn't a deduction still taxed to some extent?  In other words, you are worse off by having that amount on there than not, the same way that postage is an expense instead of a subtraction from taxable income?

4 minutes ago, coffeewithmrsaturn said:

This question probably reveals my accounting ignorance, but isn't a deduction still taxed to some extent?  In other words, you are worse off by having that amount on there than not, the same way that postage is an expense instead of a subtraction from taxable income?

No you have a starting revenue/ income and reduce it by all deductions. The only downside is if you cant forget to deduct it or you would be paying additional tax on that amount

Edited by Quest4Nes

6 hours ago, RH said:

I just someone would overtake eBay but, just like everyone else, there's no better solution so I'll continue to sell there.

Yeah, it's always a chicken or the egg situation. Anyone could make a site superior to the 'Bay, but poaching away enough sellers and buyers when 99% of the users of eBay think it's "good enough" means no one can gain traction.