IGNORED

Everdrive/PowerPak Thread

Bearcat-Doug

7 hours ago, Tulpa said:

His video mainly focused on the FMV garbage. The Sega CD library actually has a number of interesting titles.

Actually, the FMV stuff can be fun with friends and alcohol. 😛

The Wheel of Fortune game on there (I think) is the first time the wheel is done to look just like it does on TV...which would not be seen again until the N64 version.  But yeah after not one but two failed attempts at getting a Sega CD that didn't crap out on me a short time later this would be so awesome to have.

Sticking with krikzz/sag isn't smart, just because it's easy.  There are better or at least smarter built stuff that works as nice or better than their stuff, you should look outward a bit.  Things like the ez flash omega, the 64drive, etc are good choices, better choices if you're looking.

13 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Sticking with krikzz/sag isn't smart, just because it's easy.  There are better or at least smarter built stuff that works as nice or better than their stuff, you should look outward a bit.  Things like the ez flash omega, the 64drive, etc are good choices, better choices if you're looking.

Than some of their, stuff, yeah, but I'd argue that Krikzz still has the market cornered so far as other systems are concerned, like the NES/Famicom, SMS, and Game Gear.  They might not be the end-all-be-all across the board anymore (or at least, for the moment), but I'd say they're far from irrelevant even with other options on the table.  So far as I'm aware, nobody else has offered consistent upgrades to what their existing hardware is capable of the way Krikzz has versus just bugfixes, as well as hardware support well after the purchase date (and regardless of whether the hardware was purchased directly from him or not).

15 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Tell me more about these "better choices"

31 minutes ago, ifightdragons said:

Seconded.

What's wrong with Krikzz and Stone Age Gamer? And why are the other options better choices?

That's always been my go to places.  I figured they were both the gold standard on that sort of thing.  Hence I want to wait and see what the Krizz Sega CD Everdrive is like.  How big a SD card will I need to hold all the Genesis/Master System roms (all regions) and the US set of Sega CD isos?

Wow didn't know I'd be stepping in it with a defensive fan club here.

For starters, the GBA.  You could get his, or you could get the EZ Flash Omega.  Both do the same job, run the same files, both only use a battery for RTC, read/write/access the same, even run other system ROMS from the menu too.  Yet the everdrive here has a big toe of a mold sticking out of the port unnecessarily so it makes it a pig to sit in any kind of case and real annoyance on the micro.  Also it costs like twice the price.

Then the N64.  There's his two devices the slim one with reset to save and many other features missing or limited other than the core stuff to run N64 files.  Or you could get the 64drive.  Price is nearly the same as the fully functional everdrive 64.  64drive though has more going for it, 6 virtual memory paks (instead of requiring one) swapped at will and can be carried to the pc/back over the included USB cable (ED doesn't include this cable), also has wifi for file transfers instead of going between another device w/memory card or usb cable.  There are other little nitpicks, but the added $20 including the added features and packed in cable make up more than enough for that.  But if you just need the basic model the ED is fine.

Gameboy/Color -- There's the Everdrive GB, but there's also a less expensive model and as well if not better built by a community favorite BennVenn who does some insane mod/kit work and it's known as the ElCheapo 2.2 currently under preorder for $40 it does lack the RTC, but he has another for a little more that does (currently out of stock), no battery required for saving, same basic feature set as the everdrive which runs for $89 or $130.  The $130 has the RTC, the Elcheap one with the RTC is $54.

Getting away from comparisons unless krikzz steps into it, looking beyond his realm you have RetroHQ which makes some incredibly well done kits for handhelds like the NGPC and Lynx.  Tototek used to (still do?) have a line of stuff mainly for older Sega hardware like their 8bit stuff that was quite reliable.  Beyond that we're getting into the expensive rabbit hole of optical simulation or large freaking carts with the PCE CD, Neo-Geo MVS/AES, etc.  Point is, there's lot of choices out there, some cases unique, others are as good if not better for less money or the same money.  I have some Krikzz stuff but I'm not a blind suck up as it sadly seems many are who just fawn over his creations.

I don't think you understood the 64drive's virtual controller pak feature. It's not like the Nintendont GC one on Wii, or on various emulators. You still need a physical pak to save anything, the feature just lets you copy the contents to the sd card and back. Incidentally Everdrive64 has the same feature, with maybe slightly worse UI.

@Estil

N8 Pro NES should be out this month. There's various small improvements, sound, loading times and whatnot, but the only big feature is support for far bigger ROMs, like the Chinese FF7.

12 hours ago, erac said:

? The old N8 supports cheats. Practically every Everdrive does.

How do I use them?  Is there a cheats menu hidden somewhere?

edit: OK I just watched a video on it.  Krikzz totally took something simple and made it complicated, or at least more complicated than it had to be.

Edited by CMR

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2020 at 5:33 PM, CMR said:

How do I use them?  Is there a cheats menu hidden somewhere?

edit: OK I just watched a video on it.  Krikzz totally took something simple and made it complicated, or at least more complicated than it had to be.

I'm not sure why it's so complicated either. I use mine with an AVS and since that last major update the code feature on the Everdrive won't even work. If I put a code in using the Game Genie feature on the AVS, start the Everdrive and select the game (basically like on an original NES), then the codes work. I think the latest N8 firmare update was on 1/20, but I still have to use that method to get them to work on the AVS.