IGNORED

Everdrive/PowerPak Thread

Bearcat-Doug

I had a feeling you meant the NES/FC but there are a lot of thsoe everdrives, and even a couple powerpaks as dated as those are now in comparison.

That update to the original is a surprising beast there.  And here it is Everdrive N8 V1.20 (not for the PRO)

• OS naming convention was changed to make clear differentiation between PRO and OG N8 OS. OG N8 OS is 1.xx and PRO is 2.xx
  • Now save states supported by all mappers.
  • New fully functional MMC5 mapper
  • New FDS audio core
  • Audio core for Sunsof5 mapper by Necronomfive
  • Audio core for VRC7 mapper by Necronomfive
  • Specific games databese update. Now works few more games which require specific settings
  • Minor update from MMC3
  • New mappers support(1): 27, 30, 50, 106, 108, 142, 144, 145, 149, 156, 165, 171, 175, 176, 183, 213, 216,
  • New mappers support(2): 222, 252, 37, 45, 49, 51, 52, 105, 177, 190, 197, 207, 214, 228, 229, 244, 249, 250,
  • New mappers support(3): 35, 44, 56, 60, 103, 117, 132, 136, 143, 159, 172, 173, 183, 186, 187, 198, 199, 221, 238, 248
  • FDS autoswap blocking function. Hold A to prevent disk swap. This is mostly for test fds sound in zelda intro.
  • Fixed irq counter in Acclaim mmc3 mapper
  • Audio balance option for mappers with expansion audio
  • Some mappers and fixes were back ported from N8-PRO

ttp://krikzz.com/pub/support/everdrive-n8/   -- Wowzers that solves a lot of existing problems with the core of some key mappers but also a stretch of audio problems too.  I'm going to have to pop my card and run this because when it's penny ante stuff I don't bother, but this, it's worthy.

Also I got curious and poked around, it appears Dec 2nd that the Turbo/PC Everdrive also got a firmware update for the v2.X line of cards (current) yet for some bizarre reason no change log text was dropped into the zip file or the directory for it so there's no telling what got messed with which is kind of annoying.  I've been googling a bit but coming up with nothing.

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I had a feeling you meant the NES/FC but there are a lot of thsoe everdrives, and even a couple powerpaks as dated as those are now in comparison.

That update to the original is a surprising beast there.  And here it is Everdrive N8 V1.20 (not for the PRO)

• OS naming convention was changed to make clear differentiation between PRO and OG N8 OS. OG N8 OS is 1.xx and PRO is 2.xx
  • Now save states supported by all mappers.
  • New fully functional MMC5 mapper
  • New FDS audio core
  • Audio core for Sunsof5 mapper by Necronomfive
  • Audio core for VRC7 mapper by Necronomfive
  • Specific games databese update. Now works few more games which require specific settings
  • Minor update from MMC3
  • New mappers support(1): 27, 30, 50, 106, 108, 142, 144, 145, 149, 156, 165, 171, 175, 176, 183, 213, 216,
  • New mappers support(2): 222, 252, 37, 45, 49, 51, 52, 105, 177, 190, 197, 207, 214, 228, 229, 244, 249, 250,
  • New mappers support(3): 35, 44, 56, 60, 103, 117, 132, 136, 143, 159, 172, 173, 183, 186, 187, 198, 199, 221, 238, 248
  • FDS autoswap blocking function. Hold A to prevent disk swap. This is mostly for test fds sound in zelda intro.
  • Fixed irq counter in Acclaim mmc3 mapper
  • Audio balance option for mappers with expansion audio
  • Some mappers and fixes were back ported from N8-PRO

ttp://krikzz.com/pub/support/everdrive-n8/   -- Wowzers that solves a lot of existing problems with the core of some key mappers but also a stretch of audio problems too.  I'm going to have to pop my card and run this because when it's penny ante stuff I don't bother, but this, it's worthy.

I was pretty excited to see that when I read the release notes. I noticed the FDS audio fix right away. If I played a game with the expansion audio it used to be twice as loud as a regular NES game, but now it's balanced out.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, CMR said:

This is good news.  I could never get any of the dev mappers to work with mine so hopefully this will like it should.

There was another thread on here just for PowerPak.

https://www.videogamesage.com/topic/474-the-powerpak-thread/

I guess I missed that. It seems to be just for the PowerPak and a lot of people use Everdrives for multiple consoles, so I thought a general thread for everything might be useful.

• Like 1

Anyone showing up with some bugs at all on that N8 update?  I had a weird one earlier ago as for some reason after running the update I decided to fire up Akamajou Densetsu (CV3jp.)  I played quite well for it being a long time, got through the ship without dying into the next 'red' colored stage.  I was using Sypha, got through the horizontal first block of play, but going up to the next one the entire screen glitched, she was walking through space diagonally then off the screen then it locked up trying to pass to the next.  I don't recall ever seeing that, not sure if it's the firmware update or the hi def nes kit had a strange bug in it or caused working with the ED.

16 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Anyone showing up with some bugs at all on that N8 update?  I had a weird one earlier ago as for some reason after running the update I decided to fire up Akamajou Densetsu (CV3jp.)  I played quite well for it being a long time, got through the ship without dying into the next 'red' colored stage.  I was using Sypha, got through the horizontal first block of play, but going up to the next one the entire screen glitched, she was walking through space diagonally then off the screen then it locked up trying to pass to the next.  I don't recall ever seeing that, not sure if it's the firmware update or the hi def nes kit had a strange bug in it or caused working with the ED.

No issues for me yet. I don't have the Japanese CV3 on mine though, so maybe it's just that game?

19 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Is this the stage you're talking about? I got through it without any issues.

1230192101.thumb.jpg.cab3c6db162bd4daccef14b124d38ba2.jpg1230192102.thumb.jpg.cb16aec86bf7c05d4e642b2c14a76fb7.jpg

For some reason I couldn't run Akamajou Densetsu or Castlevania III when I first fired up the new build, but rom hacks of those games worked fine.  After I deleted those roms and re-copied them to my card they started working and played fine.  I'm not really sure what the deal was, but you might try doing that for any games you're having trouble with. 

I checked roms from goodnes3.23 and nointro sets.  Both play fine now.

Edited by CMR

8 minutes ago, CMR said:

For some reason I couldn't run Akamajou Densetsu or Castlevania III when I first fired up the new build, but rom hacks of those games worked fine.  After I deleted those roms and re-copied them to my card they started working and played fine.  I'm not really sure what the deal was, but you might try doing that for any games you're having trouble with. 

Reveal hidden contents

I checked roms from goodnes3.23 and nointro sets.  Both play fine now.

I just downloaded it after I saw the post and already had the firmware upgrade installed and it worked fine for me.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah I think that is the stage there with the red on blue combination.  I never got that far, after going over the flip spike floor with the dragon head shooter you like go a little more, then up some stairs and as the screen transitioned it crapped out.

That's odd. I finished the game without any issues. The only major difference I can think of is that I'm using an AVS instead of a NES with the HD kit.

34 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Any suggestions for any other Famicom/FDS exclusive games worth playing? Other than Castlevania 3, SMB 2 and Vs. Excitebike that's all I've got so far.

Gradius II, Kid Dracula, Bio Miracle, Cosmic Epsilon, Holy Diver.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Gradius II is one of the better shooters, a beefed up horizontal Life Force.

Kid Dracula is in the Castlevania series, kind of a fun offshoot.

The other games are pretty good, too.

Sounds good. I figured Gradius II would be what you said. I've heard of Kid Dracula, but I wasn't sure if it was tied in to Castlevania or not. No clue on the others. I will just have to give them a try.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

On 1/1/2020 at 12:50 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

Any suggestions for any other Famicom/FDS exclusive games worth playing? Other than Castlevania 3, SMB 2 and Vs. Excitebike that's all I've got so far.

Dig Dug 1, Dragon Buster, Goonies 1, King Kong 2, Knightmare 2, Spartan X 2, Wagyan Land series... 

• Like 1

I'm eagerly awaiting Krizz's Sega CD/Genesis/Master System Everdrive that's supposed to be out sometime later this year.  I know the AVGN hates the Sega CD but a few of the titles on there (especially the non-game/educational ones) are kinda interesting!

And when is the NES Pro Everdrive supposed to be released?  Is it really that much better than the regular one?  Because the SD2SNES Pro doesn't offer hardly anything new at all 😞 

7 hours ago, Estil said:

I know the AVGN hates the Sega CD but a few of the titles on there (especially the non-game/educational ones) are kinda interesting!

His video mainly focused on the FMV garbage. The Sega CD library actually has a number of interesting titles.

Actually, the FMV stuff can be fun with friends and alcohol. 😛

Edited by Tulpa

3 hours ago, Lincoln said:

Have you guys looked into the terraonion megasd? I have one and it's been pretty great so far. Sega CD support is very well done.

All my other Everdrives are the Krizz/Stone Age Gamer ones so I want to see what the Krizz one is like.