IGNORED

Arkanoid Vaus controllers

Tulpa

Why do I do this to myself? I have more NES Vaus controllers than I do regular controllers. 😞

Anyway, the ones I have are in various states of condition and repair; I've had most of these apart so many times I have the controller PCB burned into my brain.

1 - Works perfectly from when I bought it. This one came with the cartridge.

2 - Heavily repaired: new adjustment pot soldered in, broken traces patched with wires, potentiometer reattached and lubricated with WD-40. Now works perfectly.

3 - Fire button works very intermittently. Tried everything I could to clean it. Might need a new one from a parts controller soldered in. Potentiometer works fine. Other suggestions welcome. Cap for the adjustment pot was given to number 2.

4 - Fire button works most of the time, but occasionally misses a shot. Kind of a less severe issue of number 3.

5 - Famicom Arkanoid II controller. Works fine, but I don't use it much. It has a port next to the cable for another Fami Vaus in order to play Arkanoid-Pong. Oddly, I did not buy it with the Arkanoid II cartridge.

Anyway, post your Vaus or Arkanoid knowledge here. 🙂

IMG_20191221_161946099 copy.png

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 2

I have two Vaus controllers.  One works perfectly.  The other one, when the knob is turned all the way, the paddle on-screen does not go all the way to the edge.  So there's a gap on one side that I can't cover, which makes playing with it pointless.  I've messed with the pot but to no avail.  There should be a way to fix that right?

28 minutes ago, arnpoly said:

I have two Vaus controllers.  One works perfectly.  The other one, when the knob is turned all the way, the paddle on-screen does not go all the way to the edge.  So there's a gap on one side that I can't cover, which makes playing with it pointless.  I've messed with the pot but to no avail.  There should be a way to fix that right?

Yes! I forgot to mention #2 had that issue. I very carefully trimmed a bit of plastic off the knob itself, the part that extends down to the stops on the housing. Just like a millimeter or so. That allowed the paddle to go all the way on mine.

How far is yours away from the edge?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, arnpoly said:

Maybe the adjustment pot is damaged? 

On 12/23/2019 at 11:42 AM, Tulpa said:

Okay, this is going to drive me crazy. Is this button/switch an off the shelf part? I've been looking for a replacement, but no luck.

10.jpg

Yes it's an off the shelf part. Same ones are actually used in the Atari 7800 Console for Power, Pause, Select & Reset 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/17/2021 at 6:21 PM, Titan27 said:

I recently bought a Vause controller on Ebay but I'm missing the black potentiometer knob. Can anyone point me in the direction of a replacement or even the mm the knob is? I plan to give this as a surprise gift to a friend.

I don't know of any replacement knobs except broken Vaus controllers. But here are some pictures. Maybe some can 3D print one.

Note that it has an extended lip at the bottom that hits the stops on the controller shell. 

IMG_20210818_221543230.jpg

IMG_20210818_221604984.jpg

IMG_20210818_221635039.jpg

IMG_20210818_221649706.jpg

Thank you, definitely the pot knob. Im still struggling with a fix as thier impossible to find and broken arkanoid controllers are just as much as the deal o got on mine missing a knob. I think you mentioned having a few for parts. Im guessing you're not willing to part with a knob spare for costs? Also if no spares can you possibly take a better lit shot of the inner knob where the pot shaft goes? I'm trying to determine if the shaft is measured by the round 3.5 mm shaft or the indent 3.0mm?  I may put a non gated knob on to get by.