IGNORED

Castlevania NES: I beat Death for the first time, and something horrible happened

Knuxie

So a few years ago, I was playing through Castlevania. I was determined to beat it. I must have reached Death about 2 dozen times before getting a game over. 

But with enough dedication, I finally defeated Death for the first time ever... and you know what happens next?

The game loaded up Stage 1

I havent even touched the game since.

• Sad 1

• The title was changed to Castlevania NES: I beat Death for the first time, and something horrible happened

Have one for ya, back years ago I had been playing Kid Icarus for a few days for hours and FINALLY made it to Medusa and seemed like an eternity finally "killed" her and all the sudden POOF the power to the neighborhood went out. I never touched that damn game again for several years still haven't actually beaten it legit still to this day.

I used to be able to no death Castlevania but has been quite some time though and probably very rusty, I remember Death can be a pain but if you can make it back to him with triple shot and holy water and time it as he drops in and keep throwing them as fast as you can. *POOF* just like that.

Does seem odd it loaded back to stage 1 though, was this on an actual cart on a nes or something else? 

Edited by MuNKeY
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Castlevania is kind of glitchy, especially the early copies deep into the game. Spamming the holy water in the knight hallway just before Death can freeze the game on the five screw copies.

So it's not just my copy! This has happened to me numerous times on this hallway.  Never knew it was just on 5 screw copies. Cool info.

5 minutes ago, acromite53 said:

So it's not just my copy! This has happened to me numerous times on this hallway.  Never knew it was just on 5 screw copies. Cool info.

At some point they fixed it, but it happened to me with two different five screws. It's the reason I learned how to beat Death with the boomerang.

36 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

At some point they fixed it, but it happened to me with two different five screws. It's the reason I learned how to beat Death with the boomerang.

Well.. I've also had it crash on the Death fight using boomerangs. Using 5 screw cart. My 3 screw cart got corrupted and crashes after you press start on the title screen. I have bad luck with this game...

20161003_100329_IMG_2131.JPG

5 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Castlevania is kind of glitchy, especially the early copies deep into the game. Spamming the holy water in the knight hallway just before Death can freeze the game on the five screw copies.

I couldn't remember what the glitches in the early versions were, but I made sure to get a 3 screw Rev-A cartridge for that reason. I think the Rev-A versions had the glitches fixed. I played mine hundreds of times and never had an issue.

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Yep. And there's a bit of a debate as to whether he or Dracula is the toughest.

It depends on which weapons you use. Death is a joke if you get to him with the holy water. Triple boomerangs are effective as well. With a weaker weapon or just the whip then Death might be the worst.

On the other hand, you can't stun lock Dracula's first form with the holy water so you're forced to fight him. This makes Dracula the hardest boss unless you're doing a whip only challenge or something.

Another factor is that you start right back at Dracula when you die. With Death you always have to face some tough enemies before you can get back to him. So in this regard Dracula isn't as bad.

Edited by mbd39