IGNORED

Hyperkin LCD-compatible Zapper now available

erac

So I picked up a Tomee Zapp Gun and tried it out with the NESLCDMOD roms on my Everdrive.

Duck Hunt mostly works. A few missed shots, but not too bad. Clay Pigeons was a little more shaky.

Hogan's Alley works perfectly. Anything I missed clearly on me.

Wild Gunman is a mixed bag. Two gunmen and the Gang didn't seem to work. On two gunmen, it would allow one to get shot, but not both. I think I might need to play with the calibration settings.

I have not tried Barker Bill's Trick Shooting or Vs. Duck Hunt, the other two roms they currently have available.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

So, playing around a little more, the key seems to be calibration. I was able to get Wild Gunman and the Clay Pigeon games to work. All in all, an effective solution.

Need to try Barker Bill sometime.

14 hours ago, ErickRPG said:

would love to see something eventually for those PS2 gun games.

Probably happen, though it will most likely need to burn a patched ISO to a disc and play it that way. No idea if the guns need modifications.

I got mine off of eBay, but I just found them slightly cheaper on Amazon Prime. The trigger is a little thin compared to the Zapper, but I don't think the build quality is totally horrible. If worse comes to worst, just pull what you need out of the Zapp Gun and put it in the Zapper. There's also that Yobo gun (the one that looks like an automatic) that might be worth trying, or Camerica's light gun (the one that looks like a revolver.)

The NESLCDMOD website gives some tips on calibration. Sometimes you have to shoot a specific spot on the title screen, or manually adjust it, or hold b down while shooting to calibrate. You can also pause the game and adjust the delay with the d-pad.

The camerica revolver isn't really usable for a bunch of games because of the way shots are detected. 

The zapper trigger works in 2 stages, going from off to active back to off. Thats why you get 2 clicks per pull. 

Cocking the revolver hammer is akin to holding the zapper trigger halfway. Pulling the revolver trigger is the release action.

Most games detect shots on the first action, so pulling the hammer fires a shot, which doesn't play well. 

I'm like 95% sure the camerica gun was a mold taken off an oem famicom revolver. Except that one is double action and will operate the hammer by pulling the trigger, so it'd generally work like the zapper. The camerica gun's poor fit and finish prevents that from happening. 

I would like to create patches that are revolver compatible but it's a "when I have time" thing so basically never. 

Thank you for attending my Ted talk on NES revolvers.

• Like 3

After further playing with this setup, I was able to get to round twenty on Duck Hunt, which is the point where you have to get a perfect score every time to progress. Even with the ducks moving like greased lightning, I was able to shoot most of them, and I am certain that all of the missed shots were on me.

I'm hoping that they work on more Zapper games. Would love to see Freedom Force and Gotcha! Chiller might be a pipe dream, but that would be awesome, too.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 11:13 PM, Tulpa said:

I'm hoping that they work on more Zapper games. Would love to see Freedom Force and Gotcha! Chiller might be a pipe dream, but that would be awesome, too.

As I recall, they already tried Freedom Force but gave up because they discovered there wasn't enough space left in the ROM to be able to put their workaround code.  With the Everdrive Pro coming out, maybe this is something that could be resurrected?

17 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

As I recall, they already tried Freedom Force but gave up because they discovered there wasn't enough space left in the ROM to be able to put their workaround code.  With the Everdrive Pro coming out, maybe this is something that could be resurrected?

Yeah, I saw that.

Though he did say on Twitter that he was looking at Gumshoe.

It's cool they are doing this and that you can get most of the popular Zapper games to work.  It's just not for me though, I want full compatibility with all the weird one-off stuff the Zapper does.  If I'm trying to beat all NES games, then it makes sense to me to use the Zapper every single time it is an option and not just on stuff that happens to be patched with these other solutions.

11 hours ago, bridgemute said:

I was just wondering as far as actual clearance to fit into the system if anyone has been able to try it out. If this works well it would be pretty amazing. 

As I understand it, the "works only with the top loader" warning provided with this thing is due to the fact that while it fits the general NES game slot profile, it doesn't have anything attached to it to allow you to pull it back out of a slot (such as the big bit of plastic on a Game Genie or the bits of ribbon where were frequently made part of old school Famicom to NES adapters).  All it's doing is injecting code between the cart and the system, so there's no reason it shouldn't work on any device that will play NES carts properly, you'll just have an easier time getting it out of some devices versus others.

• 2 weeks later...

I tested one today. Didn't have any of MadLittlePixel's issues, so he likely got a faulty one indeed.

NES + N8 Pro + LCD HDTV -> all works with neslcdmod patched Duck Hunt. Shots are accurate, misses properly miss, no spurious shots.

Only took some tries to get the calibration right, with both delay and the three-step lighting to get right. With new homebrew designed for it, a calibration screen planned for this gun would make it a breeze.

• Like 1