IGNORED

Hyperkin LCD-compatible Zapper now available

erac

https://castlemaniagames.com/products/hyper-blaster-hd-for-duck-hunt™-compatible-with-nes®

Hyperkin's Zapper clone is for sale starting today, 24.99$ and coming with a patching adapter for Duck Hunt (top-loaders only). Good news for Zapper fans and brewers alike, now that there's a widely available LCD-compatible gun, you'll likely see patches for games enabling them to work with LCD lag. Also makes new homebrew possible that works on TVs people are likely to own.

m07397_pkg_product.jpg

• Like 2

Buy the looks of it, I'd like for anyone who gets this to crack it open and see if the internal hardware is designed in such a way that you could reshell this thing with an original zapper shell.

Also, there's a reason why they gave the cart converter an outer shell but HUGE bonus points if you can take that thing apart and put the guts within a Game Genie.  That's doubtful but maybe... that would be super cool!

The adapter was a Kickstarter by someone else a while ago wasn't it? Did hyperkin buy them out or steal the idea? 

And psa for anyone interested, there's a guy who put out rom patches for most of the zapper games, which you can use on a flash cart/repro.

Edit: I looked it up. It's "modern mallard" from July 2018. It didn't get funded. It was an adapter board for dh and replacement zapper internals. I'd say there's a good chance hyperkin's thing is a continuation of that project.

Edited by Lincoln

It's not a product for me, but damn the $25 price tag on such a weird and niche piece of vintage gaming tech is pretty sweet. I remember the Kickstarter was something ridiculous like well over $100, which in a world of Analogues and Framemeisters is sort of the price I expect with enthusiast-made inventions.

Seen a lot of reports online about that gun being very hit and miss out of the box.  I've been trying for a lot of months (basically throughout this year) to find one locally and I either can't find one at all or I just miss it.  I don't want to go through potential multiple returns ordering it online.  Apparently the build quality on Tomee(no shock there) is very sketchy quality wise.

41 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Seen a lot of reports online about that gun being very hit and miss out of the box.  I've been trying for a lot of months (basically throughout this year) to find one locally and I either can't find one at all or I just miss it.  I don't want to go through potential multiple returns ordering it online.  Apparently the build quality on Tomee(no shock there) is very sketchy quality wise.

It's just that the compatibility is better than the original Zapper with the LCDMOD.

To be honest, I don't expect the Hyperkin gun to be that much better. Most of that $25 is probably in the adapter and the patch.

I figure if you are already using the LCDMOD on an Everdrive, why bother with an adapter you're not going to use? The Hyperkin model is clearly for those who want to use their original SMB/DH cartridges.

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

It's just that the compatibility is better than the original Zapper with the LCDMOD.

To be honest, I don't expect the Hyperkin gun to be that much better. Most of that $25 is probably in the adapter and the patch.

I figure if you are already using the LCDMOD on an Everdrive, why bother with an adapter you're not going to use? The Hyperkin model is clearly for those who want to use their original SMB/DH cartridges.

The reports on the Tomee gun's compatibility vary, I do expect this to support current TVs better. Would be nice if they sold just the gun for homebrew and patched games yeah.

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

https://brickseek.com

It's about to be 2020, get with the times.

9 minutes ago, erac said:

The reports on the Tomee gun's compatibility vary, I do expect this to support current TVs better. Would be nice if they sold just the gun for homebrew and patched games yeah.

I dunno, it's Hyperkin. They're not exactly the last word in compatibility.

I do love the fact that they admit this thing isn't compatible with their own Retron 5.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, erac said:

Not him, but that site gives me a captcha to view it. Aka "hell no", I'm not clicking several minutes of crossroads, thank you very much - it's about to be 2020, get with the times brickseek.

Really? I have just used the search bar with no need for Captcha. Maybe too many bots have been flooding them to find items?

5 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

Really? I have just used the search bar with no need for Captcha. Maybe too many bots have been flooding them to find items?

One thing I've noticed is that with the right ad blocker in place, a lot of Captcha stuff either doesn't appear for me or just accepts that I'm human (presumably because bots aren't trying to block ads).  Maybe that's why you're not running into the situation where others are?  Could also potentially be browser credentials causing a similar situation (bots identify as x, y, and z, but never a so a gets a pass, etc.).

• 3 weeks later...