IGNORED

Why the authors of "RAREST GAMEBOY GAMES" list miss the mark.

JVOSS

Good day VGS,

So I what to put my 3 cents worth in to a topic the is worthless to a collector.

I'm talking about the well published, and Youtubed channels with a title of:

"GUIDE TO THE RAREST AND MOST VALUABLE GAMEBOY GAMES." 

To the articles credit they all cover the same list.  But in reality they haven't even touch the surface of the word.

They are only covering game titles that they know about and are well published.

To breakdown the embarrassing statement that they all have in common "Rarest."

Rarest  Defined as " not found in large numbers and consequently of interest or value"  {as defined by Google Dictionary}

With out knowing the numbers of published gameboy Cartridges for each title, I'll go off the "known" personal fact.  Yes I said personal.

Here is the Rarest list as it should be.

2 3 Titles ROC - Republic of China
4 Titles HKG - Hong Kong
9 Titles HOL - Holland
8 Titles KOR - Korea
58 Titles no code - Brizal
55 Titles GPS - Game Pak Software
65 Titles CHN - China
65 Titles CHN - Hong Kong

Not even sure if i should include the DIS (display) Carts, the Prototypes, the Blockbuster branded games.

So to be fare my list is not covering the "RAREST" gameboy games.

Do homework before you publish a "RAREST LIST."

convince me otherwise .....

index.jpg.d42f648388b087d8b93457b4ebaf7a82.jpg

Edited by JVOSS
Changed qty for titles/corrected info

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is a CHN Donkey Kong harder to find than a NIV Bible? Especially within China itself? What’s the line between rare and hard to get for an American? Not saying you’d be tripping over Donkey Kongs and Tennis in China, but they’re objectively not rarer than some random old limited release foreign homebrew like Super Connard either.

But nobody cares about Super Connard. But nobody cares about Game Boy carts from Holland either. So none of that will be in my clickbait Youtube video!

Edited by DefaultGen

1 hour ago, RH said:

Wait a minute.  What are these “Blockbuster” branded GB games you speak of?

"Blockbuster" are games that have the Blockbuster Brand on the the cart. i.e. it is not part of the original label.  similar to the NFR labels attached to the "Demo", "Store", "kiosk" carts that are listed as NFR

s-l1600.jpg.2be39f701a9e4daf4284e105245e2476.jpg

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

Is a CHN Donkey Kong harder to find than a NIV Bible? Especially within China itself? What’s the line between rare and hard to get for an American? Not saying you’d be tripping over Donkey Kongs and Tennis in China, but they’re objectively not rarer than some random old limited release foreign homebrew like Super Connard either.

But nobody cares about Super Connard. But nobody cares about Game Boy carts from Holland either. So none of that will be in my clickbait Youtube video!

@DefaultGen Not sure why Homebrews was brought up but ok.

So I never said anything about Hard to find I'm talking about the "Rarest" and how authors misconstrue the word into something that it is not.  You say NIV is the "rarest" however the numbers "if known" would be more then say a CHN "CHINIEESE ONLY" Donkey or a CHN "Chanieese Only" Tennis by your example.  Seeing you have a "clickbait Youtube"  then you would know the difference, if you did your homework before putting a video out to say the "Rarest."  I'm sure your "clickbait Youtube" is informative and I'm sure I've clicked on the video once or twice, however it dose not mean your statement is correct.  

As for you statement "an American" is once again misleading.  there are Americans in China that collects and rest assured that by the numbers the "Rarest" is not a MagaMan 5 or Trip World.  One might even say the ROC SMB OG GB is the "Rarest." but again your not interested in what the rest of the world is collecting because it's not your target audience.

1 hour ago, JVOSS said:

@DefaultGen Not sure why Homebrews was brought up but ok.

One might even say the ROC SMB OG GB is the "Rarest." but again your not interested in what the rest of the world is collecting because it's not your target audience.

See, you're also putting implied limits on what "counts" as a game, whether it's because of the time period, or licensing, or what. You're complaining about rare/expensive games lists that have implied scopes of US releases or games people have actually heard of or games on PriceCharting depending on how lazy the list maker is. The actual RAREST (not hardest to obtain or most expensive) is probably some handmade indie homebrew release, not a small but mass produced Nintendo or Sachen game. It's just not within your personal scope.

I'll concede you know way more about foreign Game Boy games than I do but don't claim every single release from 4-5 countries is the rarest GB game because they're impossibly obscure then say something else dumb and obscure doesn't count 😛

Edited by DefaultGen

9 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

See, you're also putting implied limits on what "counts" as a game, whether it's because of the time period, or licensing, or what. You're complaining about rare/expensive games lists that have implied scopes of US releases or games people have actually heard of or games on PriceCharting depending on how lazy the list maker is. The actual RAREST (not hardest to obtain or most expensive) is probably some handmade indie homebrew release, not a small but mass produced Nintendo or Sachen game. It's just not within your personal scope.

Yes,  and you are correct in the fact the "Rarest" is a Indie/Homebrew "release", and that should be stated with in the facts of the "guide."

Again, the authors of the the "guides to the Rarest" are only focused on the Popular/well known games with high value. 

When you through in to the mix the word "release" it should be defined within the scope of the articles.

As for "Release"  for this topic I'll keep it focused on the mainstream and "mass produced." or similar to what the authors of the "Guides to the Rarest" focuses on.

DON'T get me wrong I love a good INDIE/HOMEBREW cart but I'm not going to include them in the term "Rarest" for this topic.

I sure a whole new topic for "Rarest" Indie/Homebrew Gameboy Cart would be of great debate but i have little experience. With the popularity of Cart games and the "hack" versions could really obscure the list to a point of garbage.  

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

I agree, rarest should include stuff like Worm Visitor. There's some super rare stuff that makes the wisdom tree games or even any licensed release look common.

and it vary will could be included in the list but as for this topic I'm using the authors of the "Guides to the Rarest" statement.

I think any “rarest” list needs to be taken into context the market they’re referring to. Examples:

- English releases (US/UK/Australia)

- European releases

- Japanese releases

- Worldwide releases (all countries)

Also, it depends on the level of experience the collector has with tracking of all the games showing up. Every rarity list out there will likely differ from person to person and country to country. Even if you know the exact numbers produced for a title, you won’t truly know how many still exist today. 

9 hours ago, JVOSS said:

"Blockbuster" are games that have the Blockbuster Brand on the the cart. i.e. it is not part of the original label.  similar to the NFR labels attached to the "Demo", "Store", "kiosk" carts that are listed as NFR

s-l1600.jpg.2be39f701a9e4daf4284e105245e2476.jpg

Oh, I see.  I didn't think that would be even desirable because most of us would look at that and seethe in anger towards Blockbuster.

I think you do raise a good point that is missed by YouTubers or clickbait article writers but I also agree with others that you have to take region into consideration.  From a collector mindset, when people talk about rarity, what they mean is within certain parameters they bring to the conversation, most of which are assumed to be understood.  Americans assume American markets. Licensed titles are what most people care about and unlicensed titles might get an honorable mention, as might Japanese titles because Japan often got games we never saw.

Everything else falls into a haze of potentially cool items that lack mass appeal.  But, focusing strictly on these titles isn't a dumb click-baity move.  Legitimately, these content makers might only be interested in these types of titles and they are well aware that 99% of collectors feel just as they do.  But of course, another YouTuber could come along and make a video game called "The Rarest Game Boy Games" and then actually talk about all of these "obscure" types of games that people collect.  That could do well too, and might even broaden interest in these lesser known games.

Pivoting a bit, but I've also found that "rare" titles aren't always as rare as they seem.  This could, possibly, apply to some of the items on your list.  Instead, a game is quite uncommon but no one looks for it.  However, when someone with "influence" points out that "this game... this one is hard to find.  It took me years to find it", then everyone follows suit and starts looking for it.  Some people find it, put it on eBay and then the price gets bumped up.  IMHO, I think the $100 mark is where most American adults will start digging through their closets and start posting their games on eBay and word gets out that these "rare" titles are worth something.  No, they aren't rare, they've just become more desirable and we learn how "common" they are because all of the hype and buying motivates people to look in their childhood stash to make a few bucks.

Games from some of these regions are harder to find because they are in regions outside the US, which is where most of the collecting takes place. But, if a market did arise for the rare Chinese titles and some of them started going for $300-500 each, I guarantee you some resourceful people with connections to China will start digging through some old gaming lots and we'd see a lot more of them.  However, at their current prices, and limited availability in the West, that push hasn't taken place yet.

Rarity is really hard to gauge.  There are many things that aren't rare, they are just hidden. A large portion of what's considered "rare" is the perception in the collective psyche of the collectors.  I don't think it's fair to throw the YouTubers under the bus. Yes, they are making clickbait, but it's also clickbait because that's what the people want 95% of the time.

Since the Korean games are mentioned, any tips on rarity/value for KOR GB Golf and Tennis carts? I just came back yesterday from a trip in Asia and while all of the sellers with displayed Comboy stuff in Seoul wouldn't sell to me regardless of offer (interesting experience), I did manage to find these two KOR games in a box from a seller of current gen stuff.

47 minutes ago, Speedy_NES said:

Since the Korean games are mentioned, any tips on rarity/value for KOR GB Golf and Tennis carts? I just came back yesterday from a trip in Asia and while all of the sellers with displayed Comboy stuff in Seoul wouldn't sell to me regardless of offer (interesting experience), I did manage to find these two KOR games in a box from a seller of current gen stuff.

@Speedy_NES as a general rule for me i don't guesstimate cost or selling price. This would with out a dought set the tone for the market.  However i can tell that E--y sold some at the start of the year.

To quote The Collector’s Quest quoting someone else...

THE RAREST!”

I agree though. People misuse “rare” all the type for clickbait but that’s not going to change. I have some Atari carts I could sell you all that are undoubtedly more rare than that commoner Little Sampson or Snatcher garbage. Or we can do a 1 for 1 swap. Help me help you, people!

50 minutes ago, FriedSpaceCowboy said:

@JVOSS Where does stuff like Wade Hixtons Counter Punch fall? I've only ever seen 1-3 listings online. 

@FriedSpaceCowboy  Unfortunately i don't follow AGB that close.  However a quick search on E--y shows 6 USA active and 13 that have sold in the last 5 weeks.  as for the EU side i see 3 active and 3 sold in the same time frame.

So the quick review is:  quite possibly Rare for the EU region  the US uncommon to rare.  And nowhere near "Rarest"  under the guidelines of this discussion.