IGNORED

2024 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Solomon's Key

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Welcome honourable players to a land of mystery and magic!

Going unto this week, you will have to prove your mettle with your brain skills, to solve the mysteries of Solomon's key!

To unluck the wisdom of Solomon, you must follow the guidance below:

• Play till room 17 or till you game over
  • Upon reaching stage 17, pause the game at the stage load screen so that we can see your life count and take your picture
  • If you game over, pause the game before the game over screen shows up and take your picture
  • If you game over at a hidden room, your progress will be determined by the colour of the background of the stage (browns - room 4.5, cyan - room 8,5, purple - room 12.5, dark grey - room 16.5)
  • Highest progress will win, with highest score used as tie breaker. For players that reach stage 17, it will be highest life count and then highest high score for tie breaker.
  • Genre: Puzzle

May the wisest and most skilled wizard win.

The contest ends Sunday, 05/26/24 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I dunno what happened last week. I was within a personal shadow realm but this week I will attempt to be back into the swing of things. I don't think I've played this before.

Edit: oh nvm we played it like 2 years ago? I dunno. Doesn't matter.

Edited by SuperJimtendo

Events Team · Posted

I am afraid we won't be seeing much in terms of participation till the end of the season, but as long two or three people keep posting scores, I will keep the contest running.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

I am afraid we won't be seeing much in terms of participation till the end of the season, but as long two or three people keep posting scores, I will keep the contest running.

Contest participation has ups and downs. I hope Tetris brings it back up.

4 hours ago, PII said:

@Tablew/chairs Well done!  I came pretty close to finishing with 10 lives but I guess there were some sources for fairies that I didn't find.  Far too many people sleeping around here on one of the best games the NES has to offer...

Thanks, here’s a surprise it’s not the fairies!  The dinosaur enemies can drop 1-ups if you hit them with fireballs.  I didn’t know until one time I was on the hidden shrine, I had an extra fireball and shot the thing and it turned into a 1-up.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Tablew/chairs said:

Thanks, here’s a surprise it’s not the fairies!  The dinosaur enemies can drop 1-ups if you hit them with fireballs.  I didn’t know until one time I was on the hidden shrine, I had an extra fireball and shot the thing and it turned into a 1-up.

Interesting, I always dropped the one in the shrine rooms.  I shot some of the other ones when I was trying to test which enemies might drop a fairy but I never got a one up from one of them.  Oh well, live and learn.

...I did notice that on rare occasions when shooting an enemy the drop would be this red thing that looks like a game piece from the board game "Sorry" that isn't in any of the literature, manual or online stuff; at least nothing I looked at.  But it would manifest a fairy just like the bells..

Edited by PII

On 5/26/2024 at 11:43 AM, mbd39 said:

Yikes. Not much enthusiasm for Solomon's Key this week. I will definitely try to get a score in today.

I did attempt it, but didn't get far enough to bother taking a photo. (also, wasn't crazy about this game when we played it last year)

9 hours ago, G-type said:

I did attempt it, but didn't get far enough to bother taking a photo. (also, wasn't crazy about this game when we played it last year)

It's a good game, but one that requires a lot of effort to get a decent score.

• The topic was unpinned