IGNORED

Game Debate #201: Puzzles, Puzzles, Puzzles

Rate 'em  

28 members have voted

1. 1. The Witness

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Baba Is You

• 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
  3. 3. Return of the Obra Dinn

• 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
  4. 4. Tunic

• 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.

The Witness was a real letdown for me. I loved braid and was looking forward to the witness for so long. The visual style is neat, but it was the first game I ever returned on steam; it was sooo boring.

I've never heard of Baba is you, but the name isn't really selling it to me.

Obra Dinn has been purchased and is on my list, Tunic also looks neat so I could see myself getting to it one day.

• Like 1

If you happened to purchase the "Bundle for Ukraine" a couple years ago on itch.io, you got Baba is You included.  Those itch.io bundles are a bit hard to navigate, but it is there.  The author also offers several "Baba" puzzle games for free in his itch collection:  Hempuli - itch.io

There is also a Return of the Obra Dinn demo available for free on itch.io:  Return of the Obra Dinn by dukope (itch.io)

Edited by wongojack

I really can't weigh in meaningfully on any of these as I've not spent more than a couple minutes on any one of them. But from what I know of them, what little I've played and the conversations I've had with a friend of mine, the ones that I'll probably get the most out of would be Baba is You and Obra Dinn. The Witness is a genre of game that I haven't been terribly impressed by and Tunic seems like territory that I've tread many times over already (and the cutesy animal aesthetic is fine but doesn't do anything for me).

2 hours ago, G-type said:

ok, I played about 20 levels of Baba is You. Good game! I can see getting frustrated when I can't solve the harder levels though.

I've given this advice before, and it might be obvious dunno.

But if you feel like you're ready to give up on a stage, just leave it and come back later, maybe days later. Some times you'll learn stuff from other stages that makes things more obvious in other ones. Some times you just need a fresh perspective. For me, just coming back later helped solve at least half the ones I was stumped on!
The game is really good at letting you do things in the order you want, so you're rarely ever stuck stuck, the game just keeps expanding the places you can go.

Also, an approach I like for taking a step back to solve something that seems impossible, which has worked for me in some cases:

1. Write down a complete list of reasons why the puzzle can't be solved, ie. "I need three rocks, but the stage only has two" (just doing it in your head is fine). Try to make the reasoning as watertight as possible
  2. Go through each of them, and challenge yourself, tell yourself why your assumption might be wrong!
    1. Maybe you're assuming you need to do something that's not actually what you need
    2. Maybe you're imagining a limitation that's actually not a limitation at all
    3. Maybe you can do something that changes one of the statements

Without giving too much away, as you move on, the game is gonna expand in ways you probably didn't even imagine (or dared hope). Be ready to think really outside the box, in terms of how the game works - and how you thought it worked.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1