IGNORED

Only 5 More Games to Complete your Set

You've only got 5 games left to complete your X set. Maybe it's a CIB Gameboy collection, maybe it's every Battletoads game ever made, or maybe it's a supergrafx set (which means you have zero supergrafx games). 

What do you do? Do you start throwing money around like it ain't no thang? Do you get frustrated? Do you advertising what you need on forums, twitter, instagram and onlyfans? How do you go about life when you're so close to a goal? 

(I made this thread partially in jest, because I got excited thinking this is what the other thread was about.) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DarkKobold said:

You've only got 5 games left to complete your X set. Maybe it's a CIB Gameboy collection, maybe it's every Battletoads game ever made, or maybe it's a supergrafx set (which means you have zero supergrafx games). 

What do you do? Do you start throwing money around like it ain't no thang? Do you get frustrated? Do you advertising what you need on forums, twitter, instagram and onlyfans? How do you go about life when you're so close to a goal? 

(I made this thread partially in jest, because I got excited thinking this is what the other thread was about.) 

Depends on how much money is involved with the last 5 games. I have zero patience so I’ll likely just buy all 5 at once on whatever platform (probably eBay) and be done. If they are a lot of money I’ll spread it out over a couple months. Luckily when I finished most of my sets, down to the last 5-10, I had a good spread of game costs. It wasn’t like every game I need was $500+

Some people have really great patience and will take 3-5 years to get the last 5 games they need for sets. I envy them lmao

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

Slow and steady for me. I've been surprised multiple times before at the games that I've wanted for years that have a way of just appearing in solid condition and at reasonable prices. In particular, EVO Search for Eden and Space Megaforce I got for less than their going rates and in excellent condition because I was patient. 

Practice patience and confidence. If I can whittle a set down to just five games remaining, then I can probably find the rest organically. It might take a really long time, and it might take a lot of effort, but I feel that folding like a tin can and breaking whatever rules and mentality I had when getting the rest of the set would make the ending feel less special. That's not to say I wouldn't get creative and try and think of new ways to search for games, but if I upheld a principle when collecting, then the finish line is the last place I'd want to give up on it

I think I like the hunt and snagging a good deal better than I actually like owning the stuff lol so slow and steady here.  Pshh I’m not just going to fling money around and pick that game up now for $30.  Hell no, I’m going to wait until I see an acceptable copy in the low 20s… … … …

… oh now it’s going for $40?  Pshh I’m sure I’ll see one pop up eventually for closer to $30.  I’ll just bide my time suckers… …

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, DarkKobold said:

How would you answer this?

8 hours ago, Ankos said:

How would you answer this?

Normally, I try and knock out the top end first when building a set, so there's usually only a few mid-range uncommons left to go. Saturn was that way, to the point I can't even remember what my last 5 Saturn games were. They weren't memorable. 

For Dreamcast, I definitely went the DefaultGen style. I had like 5-6 $20-30 games, and I paid full price without even trying to find dealz. For SNES and NES, I had 1 higher-tier rare as my last game (Super Turrican 2 and Bonk), but prior to those I also went on a buying spree. Sega Master System, a seller posted mint Buggy Run and Championship Hockey for "acceptable" prices, so I just threw money at that, stupidly. Buggy Run I could have gotten cheaper later, but Hockey went up another $200 every time I saw it. Win some, lose some, I guess. 

Sega CD was more of a trickle near the end. I had a complete Sega CD collection except Chuck f'ing Rock for nearly a year. I just wasn't seeing it for a price and condition I liked. 

Also, when it comes to that super high-tier rare, like Magical Chase, DinoPark Tycoon 3DO, or Outback Joey, I'll move on from that set instead of paying multiple thousands of dollars on a single game. REBEL on Super A'can really was out of the norm for me, typically I'll just skip the highest rare, and move on to the next set. 

• Like 2

I've been 20ish away from the 677 NES set for over a year now. I think it was 28 away last year around this time, and currently sitting at 21?

Nothing extraordinarely rare on my remaining list except DuckTales 2...but I'm biding my time to get all mint 100% CIBs, since I've decided to upgrade my entire collection to Mint CIB with all inserts. I can literally just BIN everything I need on eBay right now for about $4000 too, and I just see no need to do that.

So, my plan is just play it slow and steady. The point isn't to finish the set, it's to have fun along the way.

I definitely get frustrated about finishing a set the closer I get to the end, but sometimes even throwing money at it won't necessarily help if you can't find it for sale or in an acceptable condition. 

As I get closer to the end on a set (I normally focus on one thing at a time), purchases become less frequent and my war chest for pricier stuff starts to increase, so my "pot of money" to finish the set starts becoming bigger.  More available cash makes me a bit looser with it sometimes, but other times I get belligerent with people asking dumb prices compared to comparable items so I'll just sit it out.  

I'll overpay is an item is in better shape than expected or finally shows up after awhile, but normally only a max of like 20% or so if I can avoid it.  20% or more on an expensive item makes me cringe lol, especially if I've already seen it show up and it was sniped by a reseller or something and just got relisted marked up 2 weeks later. (There's that belligerence!)