IGNORED

Any idea what front/back to NES games boxes could be worth?

RH

I just talked down an someone who was selling a LARGE lot of NES and GB stuff and I'm going to have a lot of items to resell once through I pick through the stuff I want to keep and do condition swaps with.  However, part of the stuff I should be getting is a bunch of "cards" for NES games.  What these are, are the backs and some fronts to NES game boxes that were trimmed down to fit inside those plastic NES cases.  I'll be getting around 70 of these.

I don't need them, I don't want them really but I don't want to toss them either.  Most of these games are commons to uncommons.  Some of the more "valuable" or desirable titles might be Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Super Mario 3 and a bunch of Black Box titles.

I guess I'm asking for suggestions.  I could see someone actually appreciating these, especially if they use those plastic cases for the NES games.  It's a nice touch, but for someone like me with limited shelf space, I go cart only and these cards will just slip in a box.

Any clue on what to do with them our had to sell them (reasonably) to recoup a few bucks?  Samples below.

NESBoxBacks.jpg.1094efd4ef74c8c646b995b7c754bbb7.jpg

image.jpeg.acb8faa195a1fe9678b7cc2f09bc5861.jpeg

image.jpeg.a538d1b6e3f5ec4895f667236d0cfe15.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The only thing I can really think of off the top of my mind would be to one: be a guy who buys and sells a lot of NES games, two: have or cheaply acquire a lot of those plastic cases, and three: when a given game comes along stick it in a case with the box front/back and charge something more than the going rate for a loose copy.

The only other thing I can think of would be to find someone who wants to make a giant piece of wall art...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PII said:

The only thing I can really think of off the top of my mind would be to one: be a guy who buys and sells a lot of NES games, two: have or cheaply acquire a lot of those plastic cases, and three: when a given game comes along stick it in a case with the box front/back and charge something more than the going rate for a loose copy.

The only other thing I can think of would be to find someone who wants to make a giant piece of wall art...

Yeah, since there will be a lot of games in this lot I want to sell, I was thinking about selling the game + card and start pricing them all out at the high end value loose copy.  The wall art sounds cool.  In fact... I might pick out the choice titles and see if I can make one for myself. I didn't think about framing these as one piece the size of something like a movie poster.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RH said:

Yeah, since there will be a lot of games in this lot I want to sell, I was thinking about selling the game + card and start pricing them all out at the high end value loose copy.  The wall art sounds cool.  In fact... I might pick out the choice titles and see if I can make one for myself. I didn't think about framing these as one piece the size of something like a movie poster.

That would actually be pretty cool.  If somebody had the "right" box fronts for cheap eg. a bunch of my favorite games/favorite cover art I would probably grab 'em and frame 'em up.

If you're not looking to keep them, you could always do the work to frame 'em real nice, then hang 'em in your home and sell each framed work locally at your leisure.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

It’s like a graveyard 😱 

Yeah the pairing them with loose games plan is probably best or you could take my tact with the questionable crap I acquire and stick it in the to be figured out later bin never to be heard from again.

I do that but I dip into it when I need cash.

Regarding it feeling like a “graveyard” it can feel sad to look at but I just tell myself that though these aren’t complete boxes, we know that most games had their boxes and manuals tossed. I’d rather than be intact but considering the buyer did this when they bought the games, this is really a bonus more than a problem. Better to preserve some rather than none at all.

They don't fit in clamshell cases, so I'm even more mystified by this. 

I remember a few years before VGS, for a while there was somebody on ebay selling a bunch of these, individually listed, all with "BOX HAS NO SIDES!!" in the title. Maybe these came from the same guy 😂 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Link said:

They don't fit in clamshell cases, so I'm even more mystified by this. 

I remember a few years before VGS, for a while there was somebody on ebay selling a bunch of these, individually listed, all with "BOX HAS NO SIDES!!" in the title. Maybe these came from the same guy 😂 

Hard to say.  This lot came from someone who says they were discovered in an accountants drawers that were in a garage.

12 hours ago, RH said:

Hard to say.  This lot came from someone who says they were discovered in an accountants drawers that were in a garage.

Oh, no, I doubt it. I wasn't just laughing, that was a joke.

36 minutes ago, Foochie776 said:

For what it’s worth I once paid $6 for a panic restaurant like this 

The whole thing or just the make-shift cards?  And if it was for the whole thing... how long ago was that?!

On 3/4/2024 at 11:34 AM, RH said:

The whole thing or just the make-shift cards?  And if it was for the whole thing... how long ago was that?!

It was 6-7 years ago but it was the box cut up, so front and back but the sides were missing 

• Like 1

Alright, if anyone is paying attention and might be interested in PMing me an offer.  I'll try to get a list together.  The seller didn't misrepresent himself but I saw a couple of box fronts and, well, there were only two box fronts and the other 70 some-odd are all box backs.

If someone want's to make art of this, that's cool.  Regarding the black box stuff, I'm positive all of these originated from the original game owners.  All 90+ games in the lot were, interesting enough, 3-screw titles.  Some of these items are black box titles with black circle-seals.  Being that all the carts are 3-screws, I'm sure these are "older" releases, but if someone's interested in just those, I'm willing to pull them out and take photos.  There's 5-6 of those, but no Mario or Duck-Hunt.

Anyway, it's an odd thing to have.  If no one is interested, I'll likely set aside the box parts for the dupe games in the lot that I don't want and just list the rest in one big $1 auction.  I imagine someone would find this to be "neat", and I'll take what I can get from them.  

If you want to see a near-full list of the cards, see the auction listed below.  (Note, this guy wanted a quick sell, and I sent an offer to him waaaaaay less than that asking price and I was surprised he took it.)  Anyway, there's  a list in the post that contains most of the items that I got in this lot, and as I said, most of these games have the back of their boxes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134953718693