IGNORED

Nintendo to cease printing many physical Switch games ?

Administrator · Posted

I mean sure, why not? They're moving to their next generation, and these are old games. It's possible/probable that whatever media the next console takes (if any) it won't be compatible with the Switch carts.

• Agree 1

Yeah this isn't gonna be a thing, especially for stuff like SMO which was listed. This isn't the first time this happened either, things sell out during the holiday and they will restock whatever they feel is needed.

It also could be in an effort to introduce a players choice line or something, but unless the Switch 2 isn't BC there is no reason to discontinue games if they are still selling, the 3DS had a solid couple years after Switch.

Is this news?  Most of these games are years old and would likely have been quietly de-listed with no announcement.  They aren't exactly tearing up the sales charts still.

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I heard Super Mario 3D All Stars is going to be super limited.

Pure FOMO marketing hype.  It was like the 4th best selling video game of that year.

2 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

It also could be in an effort to introduce a players choice line or something, but unless the Switch 2 isn't BC there is no reason to discontinue games if they are still selling, the 3DS had a solid couple years after Switch.

Nintendo haven't been so keen to do deep discounts on all titles like the old days.  I could see them "supporting" the Switch with a few scraps and marketing it as a budget alternative to their next system esp if the new Nintendo console is hard to get.  Look at the sky high demand for PS4 consoles after the PS5 first launched.

I think maybe they are trying to clear some retail space for the next Nintendo console, so it isn't cluttered with unsold switch oldies.

Possibly related, but I just happened to see that new, physical copies of Origami King are on sale for 50% off at GameStop, but no copies were available for shipping online, and no copies were available in store within a 100 mile radius of my location.  Of course, used copies are still $55 and digital copies are still $60.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, fox said:

Is this news?  Most of these games are years old and would likely have been quietly de-listed with no announcement.  They aren't exactly tearing up the sales charts still.

Pure FOMO marketing hype.  It was like the 4th best selling video game of that year.

Nintendo haven't been so keen to do deep discounts on all titles like the old days.  I could see them "supporting" the Switch with a few scraps and marketing it as a budget alternative to their next system esp if the new Nintendo console is hard to get.  Look at the sky high demand for PS4 consoles after the PS5 first launched.

I think maybe they are trying to clear some retail space for the next Nintendo console, so it isn't cluttered with unsold switch oldies.

SMO still sells millions yearly, they won't pull it until it stops. You could find Mario DS after the 3ds hit for years. Nintendo owns the retail space at this point, they won't nix games that can keep selling. We have to assume the Switch 2 also won't have dozens of titles at launch.

Edited by goldenpp72

1 minute ago, fox said:

@goldenpp72
Gotta make room for Super Mario Odyssey Turbo DX HD (don't call it a port cause we haven't got a new 3D mario game ready yet) edition

This probably isn’t far from the truth except in TV mode I bet the new switch is 4k and now they can re release every game in 4k and we are all dumb enough to keep buying the same games over and over again

• Agree 3

15 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

This probably isn’t far from the truth except in TV mode I bet the new switch is 4k and now they can re release every game in 4k and we are all dumb enough to keep buying the same games over and over again

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 21-47-22 Malibu_stacy_with_new_hat_doll.webp (WEBP Image 1000 × 754 pixels).png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I’d almost be willing to bet that it won’t support 4k but will support 1440p.  Maaaaaybe there is an AI upscale chip to 4k but it won’t be native.