IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 662/677

1 hour ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I also did the first three games of NES Play Action Football today. No one else needs to start that one.

I have now won 10 of the 75 games needed for bases loaded 2. I was thinking about making it a surprise and holding out until I finished it, but a good call to make sure no one else gets into it and gets sniped. Doubt that would have happened with this one, but better to be safe

Someone said they were doing bases loaded 3 and 4, so we just need some grinder to step up and claim the original 

6 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I have now won 10 of the 75 games needed for bases loaded 2. I was thinking about making it a surprise and holding out until I finished it, but a good call to make sure no one else gets into it and gets sniped. Doubt that would have happened with this one, but better to be safe

Someone said they were doing bases loaded 3 and 4, so we just need some grinder to step up and claim the original 

Is there maybe some kind of trick on how to win the matches easily? I'm not good at sports games, but if it's not too difficult and just a long grind, I could give it a try.

2 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Is there maybe some kind of trick on how to win the matches easily? I'm not good at sports games, but if it's not too difficult and just a long grind, I could give it a try.

For the first Bases Loaded?  There actually is.  It's detailed in the guide on GameFAQs, but basically with specific pitchers, it's possible to perfectly pitch strikeouts.  Using those particular pitchers, you use one pitch for the first 50 pitches (until strike two of the second batter of the sixth inning) and switch to another specific pitch.  I only got about 18 games in back in 2022, because it's incredibly boring, but it's absolutely doable if you care to grind it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 557/677
18 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Looks like wiz provided the answer, but I wouldn't have known it. The original has always been the only one of the four I dont like at all. Could be that I had 2 and 3 as a kid and 4 is the latest release. I still prefer 2 and 3 to 4, but its playable. I could never get into 1. 

Id play 4 or 5 games before committing. These games are beyond a grind

Edited by NESfiend
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Ok, I am starting to understand Lunar Pool. Instead of trying to go apeshit with every shot, just take it easy. Groundbreaking, I know.

I'll play through all the stages and then try to put a clean run together.

Can you PLEASE join in on the weekly contests this year?

1. We need players.

2. We need more entertainment. Your posts are always the funniest shit ever. 

@Gaia Gensouki should join in as well. Id suggest @nerdynebraskan too, but I know the photo requirements are a problem for you 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

1. We need players.

@Gaia Gensouki should join in as well. Id suggest @nerdynebraskan too, but I know the photo requirements are a problem for you 

Aside from probably not having the time, I don't think I'd be any good at it. I'm usually the kind of player that just barely limps across the finish line of NES games, and usually on lesser difficulty settings if they're offered. My skill level is far below most of the competitors here. I do well on this challenge only because I have a very broad knowledge of the NES catalog, and I generally fatten up on the cupcakes.

Edited by nerdynebraskan

26 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Aside from probably not having the time, I don't think I'd be any good at it. I'm usually the kind of player that just barely limps across the finish line of NES games, and usually on lesser difficulty settings if they're offered. My skill level is far below most of the competitors here. I do well on this challenge only because I have a very broad knowledge of the NES catalog, and I generally fatten up on the cupcakes.

A lot of those cupcakes would be on the weekly contest list though. All these games that no one wants to play (bottom 150 or so), they don't get played because it would kill participation. You would have background/experience with a lot of games on the list. 

Playing one game that can be beat in an hours time for an entire week, you will eventually get good enough to not embarass yourself. And plenty of people try once or twice and throw up a participation score. So you will always find your way to the middle, at least, just putting in a few hours time. 

Also, if you did it week to week, it changes the way you play. Its very different and a lot MORE fun playing games for score. You may be better at it then you know because you have never played that way. Thats why I have gotten so hooked on weekly stuff. NES games often times have really well thought out, intricate scoring systems. But none of us ever knew that because no one ever cared about scoring, just progress. Try it. You will get hooked quick. And if I can hang in and occassionally find my way to a podium, you will be just fine 

Edited by NESfiend

I like that game, and would like to finish it someday. But man, I was surprised by how sharply the difficulty spiked on the last level.

Yes, WOW was I surprised!  I had a tough time with the Volcano level.  At the last one now and jeez its long and annoying.  I dunno how I did it before and I remember NOTHING about it.  It also has one of those "Where the hell do I go now?!" teleport mazes.  May take me another day depending how frustrated I get, but thank god for passwords.

Day Dreamin' Davey is done. I followed a speedrun to get the directions down, because the last time I played this, it took me quite some time going back and forth trying to figure out how to progress. So just knowing where to go and what to do was a big help. However, I couldn't do the stuff that lets you skip certain parts, e.g. a speedrunner can do the first part of ancient greece without finding the shield by skillfully evading enemy attacks. But I couldn't pull that off and therefore needed to find the shield.

I also found out that you can beat most bosses by jumping around like a madman while constantly attacking. This way I managed to beat the dragon and some other bosses on my first try, whereas I previously needed several attempts. So this saved me a lot of time, too.

Day Dreamin Davey.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

1. We need players.

Thanks for the invitation, but I will have to think about it. I participated in one of the previous years and went pretty hard on it, so that it took a lot of time and I'm not sure if I would want to do that again. Or maybe I have to be a bit more casual about it? I'll decide when the weekly contests start. I hope that we can knock out some more of these NES games here until then.

I consider myself to be an average gamer at best...hell, I can't even beat SMB1...but I won the sports genre in 2022 and do reasonably well in the puzzle genre.  Winning the tournament is tough as hell, but the weekly portion rewards consistently playing every week rather than perfecting every game.  If nothing else, I'd say give it a whirl...you don't have to post extreme scores every time, just post something and you'll advance in the leaderboard.

1 hour ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Thanks for the invitation, but I will have to think about it. I participated in one of the previous years and went pretty hard on it, so that it took a lot of time and I'm not sure if I would want to do that again. Or maybe I have to be a bit more casual about it? I'll decide when the weekly contests start. I hope that we can knock out some more of these NES games here until then.

Casual would be the way to go, as seriously competing is a time sink for sure.  I have to say I enjoyed the contest because I got to play games that I never would've thought to play, and not only did well, but actually beat several of them.  I went through a full 82 game season of Tecmo NBA because the contest got me into the game...I never would've even played it had I not been competing.

That said, I took last year off because none of the games being played appealed to me in any way.  Most were games I either knew I didn't enjoy or had no interest in playing, so I skipped 2023.  I heard a rumor that The Punisher was being considered though, so I'll probably be back this year for at least one week 😛

Events Team · Posted
10 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

That said, I took last year off because none of the games being played appealed to me in any way.  Most were games I either knew I didn't enjoy or had no interest in playing, so I skipped 2023.  I heard a rumor that The Punisher was being considered though, so I'll probably be back this year for at least one week 😛

Spoiler alert. The Punisher is a shoe-in for this season. It is long due to be in the schedule and so it will be.

1 hour ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Many of the weeks have rules that emphasis shorter runs nowadays because time can be precious to come by. I suggest you to take a look at the threads and give it a try during those weeks with fast & furious rules.

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

1. We need players.

I'll think about it, but it's really a matter of free time. Plus I suck at most non-nerdy games.

Is this the year a Koei game makes the weekly challenge? 😁 @BeaIank

Ok finished Adventures of Rad Gravity.  @nerdynebraskan the most annoying levels are the last two.  The volcano level (luckily you can skip past a little part of it) and the final level.  Basically the final level there are areas that you're gonna get hit like 99% of the time.  I ended up being able to memorize and get thru the first 3 parts of the last level without getting too much damage.  At the VERY end before you fight the boss you can get the "white" armor.  The problem is you basically have to redo the last half of the level again but playing thru it again with white armor is MUCH easier and pretty much something you would need to fight the last boss.  The best part of it is, they give you a teleport/code for the last level boss, AND the final boss.  So at least they help you at the very end.  Also I'm sure if you got enough health upgrades, you can play pretty sloppy on the last level and get past it easy.  The problem is you need to use some platform thing and it takes away part of your life.  If you use it over some spikes, and get hit, you cant use it again properly to make jumps over walls so you have to start over.  So I'd say get used to how to use that platform thing, and memorize the first few parts of the last level and it shouldn't be too bad. 

16 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

I'll think about it, but it's really a matter of free time. Plus I suck at most non-nerdy games.

Is this the year a Koei game makes the weekly challenge? 😁 @BeaIank

I'm curious how we could even work a ruleset for Koei games that would work.  Maybe Uncharted Waters, maybe, but odds are it just won't work. 

I could see you do well in the puzzle genre though 😉

11 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Ok finished Adventures of Rad Gravity.  @nerdynebraskan the most annoying levels are the last two.  The volcano level (luckily you can skip past a little part of it) and the final level.  Basically the final level there are areas that you're gonna get hit like 99% of the time.  I ended up being able to memorize and get thru the first 3 parts of the last level without getting too much damage.  At the VERY end before you fight the boss you can get the "white" armor.  The problem is you basically have to redo the last half of the level again but playing thru it again with white armor is MUCH easier and pretty much something you would need to fight the last boss.  The best part of it is, they give you a teleport/code for the last level boss, AND the final boss.  So at least they help you at the very end.  Also I'm sure if you got enough health upgrades, you can play pretty sloppy on the last level and get past it easy.  The problem is you need to use some platform thing and it takes away part of your life.  If you use it over some spikes, and get hit, you cant use it again properly to make jumps over walls so you have to start over.  So I'd say get used to how to use that platform thing, and memorize the first few parts of the last level and it shouldn't be too bad. 

Thanks for the write-up. I was using walktrhoughs when I tried Rad Gravity a few years ago; I remember burning through the game up to the last level, and I'm pretty sure I had every upgrade available. Then I got to the last level, and I couldn't last 30 seconds. I beat my head against that proverbial wall for about an hour, got no better, and put the game down until someone else beat it.

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Playing one game that can be beat in an hours time for an entire week, you will eventually get good enough to not embarass yourself.

[...]

Also, if you did it week to week, it changes the way you play. Its very different and a lot MORE fun playing games for score. You may be better at it then you know because you have never played that way.

I appreciate the enthusiasm and the kind words, but I'm afraid I didn't find your pitch terribly persuasive. I really like just beating a game and moving on to something else. I have a handful of comfort games that I play over-and-over, but I really prefer changing games frequently. I'm not really motivated by high scores or style points most of the time, and I only enjoy going deeper when it's entirely my own idea. (I once read a 1000 page history book for fun over the summer after refusing to touch it while a couple of its chapters were assigned reading for a high school class...) The thought of playing one game over and over for an entire week sounds like a chore, and I have enough of those already.

Edited by nerdynebraskan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Or maybe I have to be a bit more casual about it? 

There are different versions of happy middle grounds on this that us elderly people employ. Some players just throw up a participation score most weeks, but go hard when their prefered game category pops up. I always try to score well in sports games, but mail in shooters where I dont stand a chance.

Some people do it by testing the game and deciding if its for them. If not, quick participation score and see ya next week. If so, dive in as desired. 

You can obviously always factor in your own work life schedule. It sucks when a game you love comes at a tough time. But sometimes a game you wouldnt otherwise get real into comes during a week you have lots of time and you end up digging it after some practice. 

Goal each week should be participation. One or two runs, post a score. Your own sick desire as a nes enthusiast will get you to go beyond that when the game is right and you can make the time

Edit: and the shorter formats bea mentioned really do help. Lots of games you may just be playing 2 or 3 levels. In example, playing the last 3 levels of rad racer this year was a lot of fun. You can get a lot of runs in without putting in a ton of time under rules like that

Edited by NESfiend

I'm about halfway through Startropics now, though obviously the second half will be much tougher than the first half. Thus far: very meh. Graphics, sound, atmosphere, etc are all great, but the gameplay is trolly and annoying at best. Trying to play an action combat game with what feel like RPG controls is really awkward and leads to a lot of cheap hits IMO. Dreading the end game when it truly gets tough