IGNORED

Most Unusual and/or Creative Deaths in Video Games

Editorials Team · Posted
17 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

On topic, Might & Magic III has a totally unnecessary character aging system. Some crystal(s?) in the last dungeon will age your party, probably without you realizing it until it's too late, eventually causing everyone to die of old age. Softlocked my first playthough of the game due to this.

M&M3 on SNES ups the ante even more.  Every personality bonus actually increases your intellect stat instead.  So not only are your clerics permanently nerfed, but you spend the whole game wasting potential wizard bonuses on the wrong character.  Goddam that game 😂

• Angry 1

5 hours ago, Link said:

How is this different from dying in any other game? 

In the actual game, you die when you are hit by an enemy, or fall, or something of that nature. Then the game goes into a "game over" screen where you have some 10 seconds to insert more money to continue. The saw coming at Ryu has nothing to do with the actual game nor play, it's just a ploy to get more money. That's why it's different.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, avatar! said:

In the actual game, you die when you are hit by an enemy, or fall, or something of that nature. Then the game goes into a "game over" screen where you have some 10 seconds to insert more money to continue. The saw coming at Ryu has nothing to do with the actual game nor play, it's just a ploy to get more money. That's why it's different.

Pre-death scene vs death scene?

Does Ryu actually get cut in half if the counter goes to zero? I’m genuinely curious about this now. 

On 11/20/2023 at 4:54 PM, GPX said:

Mortal Kombat probably has some of the most creative deaths with the fatalities. Ripping out spines, slicing bodies in half vertically or horizontally, body implosions. Just to list a few ways to die.

I was holding off because I didn't know if MK would count, lol.

13 hours ago, NostalgicMachine said:

I was holding off because I didn't know if MK would count, lol.

The deaths in this franchise are sort of expected for a gruesome fighting genre. Although there’s a heap of variations of death sequences over the years.

I can see this thread is more to do with games that have death scenes that are totally unpredictable. Secret of Monkey Island might be a candidate, but I can’t remember much of it now.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 9:51 AM, GPX said:

The deaths in this franchise are sort of expected for a gruesome fighting genre. Although there’s a heap of variations of death sequences over the years.

I can see this thread is more to do with games that have death scenes that are totally unpredictable. Secret of Monkey Island might be a candidate, but I can’t remember much of it now.

Yes, I'm looking for deaths that are unexpected within the context of the game. In MK when you hear the narrator shout "FINISH HIM!" you know exactly what's coming. It's funny you mention Secret of Monkey Island, because it's nearly impossible to die in the game! In fact, the only way I know of where you actually die is if you stay underwater for more than 10 minutes 🙂

The Secret Of Monkey Island Ghost GIF

• Like 1

9 hours ago, avatar! said:

Yes, I'm looking for deaths that are unexpected within the context of the game. In MK when you hear the narrator shout "FINISH HIM!" you know exactly what's coming. It's funny you mention Secret of Monkey Island, because it's nearly impossible to die in the game! In fact, the only way I know of where you actually die is if you stay underwater for more than 10 minutes 🙂

The Secret Of Monkey Island Ghost GIF

I just remembered laughing a lot when playing Monkey Island, so if there were any death scenes, would likely be a funny one! 

I wish I could remember more but I haven’t completed a full length game for around 15 years now.