IGNORED

Who keeps grading loose copies of NES Magic Johnson's Fast Break - 57 & counting!!

_Brink_

This whole list is interesting. What is Clu Clu Land (Sample)? Are there 11 prototypes of Clu Clu Land? Did they hand out samples of this game in test markets or something?

Assuming re-grades aren't double counted here, 29 Grey NWC graded is like...1/3 of the entire population of carts?

MTPO, Zelda, & SMB3 are so weird...do people just want a case for their favorite childhood game, or do people actually think a loose NES cartridge Nintendo made literally millions of is going to be worth something?

Also interesting to see how few of these got significantly above 9.0, or got above 9.0 at all. In any case, who's collecting loose carts encased in acrylic tombs? Even if it was a 10.0, what the hell's the point? Surely nobody's paying top dollar for loose carts with nice labels, right? Right?! If there's a loose cartridge which was mass-produced and it's worth more than the WATA grading services, I don't think I want to live on this planet anymore.

edit: excluding carts which were already worth more than that before they were graded.

Edited by Khromak
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Khromak said:

This whole list is interesting. What is Clu Clu Land (Sample)? Are there 11 prototypes of Clu Clu Land? Did they hand out samples of this game in test markets or something?

They were apparently cartridges used to test NES consoles at the factory. Right when Wata was getting big a whole bunch of them came up for sale at the same time in Japan for like $200-300/ea. so a bunch got graded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here was my big-brain theory before you geniuses cracked the case. (Shout-out’s to all fellow WW players, so grab your popcorn.)

The person looked at the short list of sports professionals with NES games branded after them, assessed which one was likely to die soonest, and then kept sending 5-7 in at a time hoping to get a high grade so that when that joker kicks the bucket, he can profit like an OG, 2009 Bitcoiner!

But if there was a large lot of signed copies used for testing, then I guess that would make sense too.

As someone who does not care about sports figures at all, I'd personally prefer a copy of this game sans autograph, if I were going full set. Could you imagine if the game suddenly got rare, so that the easiest way to get a loose clean copy would be to crack a wata and scrub the name graffiti?

Edited by fcgamer

11 hours ago, fcgamer said:

As someone who does not care about sports figures at all, I'd personally prefer a copy of this game sans autograph, if I were going full set. Could you imagine if the game suddenly got rare, so that the easiest way to get a loose clean copy would be to crack a wata and scrub the name graffiti?

Fyi, he's more than just a sports figure.

@RHwhen I first read the question, I thought the same thing. It's sad when you think about it.