IGNORED

AVS back in stock

Deadeye

Yeah, I think it's the nature of boutique markets. Trying to create and start up production on a product that will only sell thousands (as opposed to millions) you have to really do an assessment on whether its profitable. Even if you have the best product on the market, you could easily end up losing money if the customers are too divided.

59 minutes ago, Link said:

Maybe they consider themselves the Rolls Royce brand of retro consoles and don’t want to bring down their fancy/high end design philosophy.

They were certainly the Rolls Royce of gaming consoles back when they sold their CMVS made out of high end wood, and the aluminum case Nt and Nt Mini.  However, they realized that they can sell more consoles going with cheaper plastic cases (Super Nt and Mega Sg among others).  With that said, I would still consider them a high end/luxury brand.  But not quite Rolls Royce since their stuff is pretty affordable now.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

They were certainly the Rolls Royce of gaming consoles back when they sold their CMVS made out of high end wood, and the aluminum case Nt and Nt Mini.  However, they realized that they can sell more consoles going with cheaper plastic cases (Super Nt and Mega Sg among others).  With that said, I would still consider them a high end/luxury brand.  But not quite Rolls Royce since their stuff is pretty affordable now.  

I see. I obviously haven’t kept up with news about them. 

6 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I'm definitely in agreement that Analogue could offer a budget Nt Mini if they dropped the aluminum case, the internal DAC, the Famicom cart slot (replace with separately sold adapter), and the extra 2 controller ports.  I'm not sure why they haven't gone that route, but they might believe they've saturated the NES market.  They might believe that most people interested in such a product have either already bought an Nt or bought one of their competing products (AVS, HDMI mod, etc.).  

Well under that chain of ifs, it comes to the conclusion, they're idiots.

If the demand was met?  Why the hell does hyperturd and retrobleh keep pumping out more ghetto bargain basement HDMI garbage boxes and other SD stuff too?  They have to be pulling a tidy profit to bother.  AVS keeps coming in and out of stock, so are they special?  Nope, just offering what analogue is too blind to take advantage of leaving a gaping hole to walk right into.

That said, yeah remove the DAC, remove the other fluff, but NOT the famicom port.  That would make them the less desirable unit vs the AVS.  Most aren't going to give a crap about 4 player ports, but taking the direct cartridge feed off for the larger FC library would be a deal breaker between the pair.  FC adapters are crap, they do not support the added audio, etc unless you mod it.

They bring back the analogue NT mini, $199, thick plastic shell, no DAC to cost cut, just as lean as their SuperNt and I'd sell off that top loader of mine the day it arrived.

I also think @Link is right, and slowly but surely that arrogance has flourished and has grown.  How they mishandled the Pocket in at least three ways, now the Duo, they clearly just are behaving more like a cash grab than what it set out to be and did even when stepping years ago into the $200 16bit market.

Okay, so I have weighed up the options and decided that the AVS is worth trying out, even if it isn't fully compatible with all the PAL NES games. From the reports I have seen it won't play all the PAL games flawlessly, but as long as it works well enough with the bulk of the games I own, it should suit my needs.

It's cheap enough to take the risk on it, IMO, and if I wait too long it may disappear again, so I might as well take the plunge. Besides, if it ends up not being able to play EVERYTHING I want, then I will probably simply invest in a flash-cart to play the rest.

8 hours ago, OptOut said:

Okay, so I have weighed up the options and decided that the AVS is worth trying out, even if it isn't fully compatible with all the PAL NES games. From the reports I have seen it won't play all the PAL games flawlessly, but as long as it works well enough with the bulk of the games I own, it should suit my needs.

It's cheap enough to take the risk on it, IMO, and if I wait too long it may disappear again, so I might as well take the plunge. Besides, if it ends up not being able to play EVERYTHING I want, then I will probably simply invest in a flash-cart to play the rest.

I remember him saying that essentailly he bet the farm on the AVS being a hit so I am going to guess that he wants to keep it in stock and available for as long as possible. However, with the current shift away from legacy chip manufacturing towards premium chips, I don't know if that was part of the equation when the AVS was being deveoped in 2017 or w.e

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tanooki said:

That said, yeah remove the DAC, remove the other fluff, but NOT the famicom port.  That would make them the less desirable unit vs the AVS.  Most aren't going to give a crap about 4 player ports, but taking the direct cartridge feed off for the larger FC library would be a deal breaker between the pair.  FC adapters are crap, they do not support the added audio, etc unless you mod it.

Bunnyboy said that adding a Famicom port to an NES clone adds at most $5 to the overall cost, so if you have one you might as well have the other.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I remember him saying that essentailly he bet the farm on the AVS being a hit so I am going to guess that he wants to keep it in stock and available for as long as possible. However, with the current shift away from legacy chip manufacturing towards premium chips, I don't know if that was part of the equation when the AVS was being deveoped in 2017 or w.e

Yeah, well I've put my order in anyway, I think it's a decent purchase long-term, just to keep my NES/FC needs fulfilled for the foreseeable future.

Certainly, at the very least, I know if they sold out and said yeah we're done, then I'd be kicking myself for NOT buying one. And, as I said, in this day and age 209 bucks plus shipping is practically a steal for a quality aftermarket solution for NES gaming, so I'm happy to lay out for it. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'd believe it, bunnyboy was always on the level about things and if it really adds $5 in costs to the total bill, it seems pretty cheap skate and short sighted not to do it.  And given the insane popularity of the 8bit Nintendo line, I'd even go as far as considering it a bar of quality having both ports if you're actually serious about making a quality product that's the most accessible to those who really care.

• Like 1